IGNORED

Yate Town v Bristol City XI

Yatetownfc

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Are Zac and Freddie brothers? Freddie is a weird case because he looked like he had decent potential 3 years ago. Now can’t get into non league sides. 

I was thinking the same. Looked a great prospect and seemed close to the first team but got loaned when it seemed he might be an option from the bench. 

36 minutes ago, CTRed said:

City are poor tbf. Young players yes but look like a Johnson first team, play on back foot and don’t take a shot when it’s on. Not sure we’ve had a shot on target yet. Freddie Hinds now off, idk why he’s not just released, terrible

Desperately need a good coach for the u23s bc this guy Alex Ball is nowhere near it

This what I mean when johnson got sacked we needed fresh new coaching blood through the entire club because currently what we have won't take us to the next level.. 

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

This what I mean when johnson got sacked we needed fresh new coaching blood through the entire club because currently what we have won't take us to the next level.. 

makes you wonder doesn’t whether Ashley Williams “chats” were about u23s?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

makes you wonder doesn’t whether Ashley Williams “chats” were about u23s?

It could well be, Is it a good option? Does he have the experience badly needed at this level of the club to get these players to the next stage,His playing career certainly brings that experience. I look at the talent in that squad tonight and just seems certain players have just stopped progressing so much talent that should be doing more. 

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

Vince Harper has been tidy too

Agreed, Harper looks very skilful, quite strong for his size and the standout City player for me.   

Not sure that it helps much but the trialists first name is karl.   

As you'd expect from a young group coming through the academy they are tidy set of players, but generally they all look a long way off from being physically able to challenge anywhere near the first team squad.  The game looked like a lower grade version of a Warnock 11 v a Lee Johnson selection of fairly small tidy midfielders.  That's probably a bit harsh as most have the time to develop physically.

I went to the game tonight and was very impressed with Yate. It was men against boy most of the game.

City tried overplaying it on numerous occasions instead of getting a shot away.

Nobody really shone from a city perspective and it wasn’t great that they didn’t have a proper kit and numbers to follow who was who.

The Yate number 5 was a big lad who looked completely out of place at left back.

The worrying thing is the so say star names in that city line up are 21 to 23 years of age and have played league football and got beat up by blokes on 80 quid a game. 

15 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

I went to the game tonight and was very impressed with Yate. It was men against boy most of the game.

Nobody really shone from a city perspective and it wasn’t great that they didn’t have a proper kit and numbers to follow who was who.

The Yate number 5 was a big lad who looked completely out of place at left back.

The worrying thing is the so say star names in that city line up are 21 to 23 years of age and have played league football and got beat up by blokes on 80 quid a game. 

Didn't see anyone on our teamsheet that has played a league game other than HInds ?

Most of them are teenagers aren't they ?

Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes most are 18/19.  Hinds and Opi Edwards 21.

Yep - a couple maybe a bit younger,

Nothing like a bit of an exaggeration to emphasise a point.

It reminds me of years gone by when our apprentices and young pros used to play in the Western League and get beat up every week. I don't know what people expect when you put out a bunch of (talented) kids against semi-pro blokes.

24 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Thanks for the update chap. Doesn't sound too good.

Maybe complacency?, maybe Yate were well up for it? I'd like to think we'd have won that, lot's of work to be done!

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep - a couple maybe a bit younger,

Nothing like a bit of an exaggeration to emphasise a point.

It reminds me of years gone by when our apprentices and young pros used to play in the Western League and get beat up every week. I don't know what people expect when you put out a bunch of (talented) kids against semi-pro blokes.

Yep.

Hinds has had 187 mins of football for us.  Opi Edwards has 90 mins.

no Sam Pearson tonight....bench on Saturday???

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I went tonight, and agree Yate were just bigger and smarter, good lesson for the youngsters. The result wasn’t important, but the lack of style/shape/cohesion, and the body language of some of the players really wasn’t up to the standard I expected. 

Depressing.

Could be that we’re going to take years to recover from the LJ legacy.... and what do we do? Appoint his second in command.

Only City. 

Sometimes I wonder just going out trawling the lower leagues and setting up an under 23 ‘reserve’ outfit would be a better bet than what we do. Let’s get lads in who have developed the physicality, are powerful, pacey, winners with a point to prove. 

Forgot. Can someone remind me of the Brentford set-up and any idea of comparable costs, theirs to ours? 

21 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

I went tonight, and agree Yate were just bigger and smarter, good lesson for the youngsters. The result wasn’t important, but the lack of style/shape/cohesion, and the body language of some of the players really wasn’t up to the standard I expected. 

Agree on the body language, we were stood right next to I believe owoura(?) Edwards on left wing first half, he spent half the time complaining about not being given the ball, and the other half of the time either not showing for it or looking surprised someone tried to play a through ball ahead of him. Coupled with what looked like a suspect dive, wasnt impressed with his attitude.

Really shot shy tonight, would've thought more players would've fancied a shot at goal but always looking for one more pass. 

Overall I thought the city players looked more technically proficient overall, but unfortunately looked like they'd just recycled training drills over and over and weren't really sure how to translate them into an actual football match.

57 minutes ago, ziderheadarmy said:

1. Harvey Wiles Richards - 18

2. James Taylor - 19

3. Vince Harper - 19

5. Bradley Webb - 19

6. Josh Owers - 18

7. Opi Edwards - 21

8. Owura Edwards - 19

9. Freddie Hinds - 21

10.Zac Hinds - not sure 

11. Sam Bell - 18

40 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

The reality is very few, if any of these, will make it to the first team

There hasn’t been many who have come through in recent times and cemented a first team place 

I wouldn’t read to much into the performance 

It’s another symptom of the current malaise isn’t it? Reading so much negativity into a game that was nothing more than a glorified training match, and finding reasons to castigate the club, coaches and young kids. 
This wasn’t even the U21’s or if it was, then this the first step up to this level for many of them, younger players are almost always inconsistent, they are there to learn and will have learned some things last night.

8 hours ago, Kempson said:

Agree on the body language, we were stood right next to I believe owoura(?) Edwards on left wing first half, he spent half the time complaining about not being given the ball, and the other half of the time either not showing for it or looking surprised someone tried to play a through ball ahead of him. Coupled with what looked like a suspect dive, wasnt impressed with his attitude.

Really shot shy tonight, would've thought more players would've fancied a shot at goal but always looking for one more pass. 

Overall I thought the city players looked more technically proficient overall, but unfortunately looked like they'd just recycled training drills over and over and weren't really sure how to translate them into an actual football match.

I like this anecdote.

If you stand around and do nothing and complain, you will be worse than semi pro footballers. You will lose, and right now, you ARE worse than them.

It's a great reality check  and lesson for these kids.

And if they don't learn that lesson, they're seeing their future.

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

I like this anecdote.

If you stand around and do nothing and complain, you will be worse than semi pro footballers. You will lose, and right now, you ARE worse than them.

It's a great reality check  and lesson for these kids.

And if they don't learn that lesson, they're seeing their future.

I suspect they are in for a bollocking if their attitude wasn't spot on.

Any player/team has to work to be able to play their own game, not moan.

But I would be careful of taking one players attitude and tarring them all with the same brush.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I suspect they are in for a bollocking if their attitude wasn't spot on.

Any player/team has to work to be able to play their own game, not moan.

But I would be careful of taking one players attitude and tarring them all with the same brush.

Agree, and you shouldn't judge a player by that one performance either, especially a young player in a non competitive game when these games are there to teach them these lessons.

Time is ticking in their careers though. Getting older, wasting chances. So next time we see them, we get to see if they're learning or not.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It’s another symptom of the current malaise isn’t it? Reading so much negativity into a game that was nothing more than a glorified training match, and finding reasons to castigate the club, coaches and young kids. 
This wasn’t even the U21’s or if it was, then this the first step up to this level for many of them, younger players are almost always inconsistent, they are there to learn and will have learned some things last night.

With respect it goes deeper than that.

No excuse for ‘poor body language’ or ‘complaining you're not being given the ball’, even in under-11’s.  A ‘‘lack of shape, style, cohesion’ seems to have taken root throughout the Club. How many times was that said of the first team last year? Possibly the most depressing of all - ‘ looked like they just recycled training drills over and over and weren’t really sure how to translate them into an actual match’.

All characteristics of the bore-fest football served up by LJ and his merry men for the last two years. All symptoms of the basic concerns of those who are yet to be ‘sold’ on our Academy (I’m glad Steve feels ‘sorry for me’!) as opposed to an Under 23 ‘reserve team’ approach.

Ironic, in a way, that this team was on display at Yate. Long-time Members of this Board will understand! 

If we had a little more freedom to express, passion, desire and aggression, positivity, power, pace and stamina (new German-style) with less over-coaching, safety-first, negative coaching (English interpretation of 00’s Spanish style) then we may get a few more ‘rewards’ and, if not, at least some entertainment. 

15 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No excuse for ‘poor body language’ or ‘complaining you're not being given the ball’, even in under-11’s.  A ‘‘lack of shape, style, cohesion’ seems to have taken root throughout the Club. How many times was that said of the first team last year? Possibly the most depressing of all - ‘ looked like they just recycled training drills over and over and weren’t really sure how to translate them into an actual match’.

All characteristics of the bore-fest football served up by LJ and his merry men for the last two years. All symptoms of the basic concerns of those who are yet to be ‘sold’ on our Academy (I’m glad Steve feels ‘sorry for me’!) as opposed to an Under 23 ‘reserve team’ approach.

Ironic, in a way, that this team was on display at Yate. Long-time Members of this Board will understand! 

If we had a little more freedom to express, passion, desire and aggression, positivity, power, pace and stamina (new German-style) with less over-coaching, safety-first, negative coaching (English interpretation of 00’s Spanish style) then we may get a few more ‘rewards’ and, if not, at least some entertainment. 

How long have the current Management team been in place and how quickly are you expecting the changes to filter down through the club? In addition, how do you know the players weren't told to "run through the drills", work to a specific shape or whatever? It was just a training run out and an opportunity to play against a more physical opposition. 

20 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I agree with the bold bits above (I didn't see the game so can't comment on the game itself).

Your last paragraph is spot on imo and I'm hopeful that what we were seeing was more LJ not DH. Listening to DH and some players, it seems that they agree that a bit more freedom is necessary.

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

How long have the current Management team been in place and how quickly are you expecting the changes to filter down through the club? In addition, how do you know the players weren't told to "run through the drills", work to a specific shape or whatever? It was just a training run out and an opportunity to play against a more physical opposition. 

Did they play 352?

I was informed that 18s and 23s have been told to do that, so that they are ready to progress through the teams to the first team.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I agree with the bold bits above (I didn't see the game so can't comment on the game itself).

Your last paragraph is spot on imo and I'm hopeful that what we were seeing was more LJ not DH. Listening to DH and some players, it seems that they agree that a bit more freedom is necessary.

Morrell’s interview said that didn’t it!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Morrell’s interview said that didn’t it!

He did mention it and I've picked it up from others (one mentioned the shackles are off) as well as DH saying it himself.

I'm hopeful that we see it this season (its always hope rather than expectation).

Archived