IGNORED

City vs Swindon

t_b

10 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

If you get beat Saturday Holden needs to resign as we're also playing Brentford the same day so expect fringe players and the odd trialist or two and definitely no celebrations at the end of the game?

It will seem odd that if you beat us on Saturday you would've won the league before the season's even started

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If same system then Rowe at left centre back.

I do miss these games and keep hoping we get you at your place in the FA Cup under normal circumstances so we can experience the atmosphere of the new Ashton Gate 

No excuses from me today if we get beat as we've put out a strong team 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah can't see any of them being regulars. Even Weimann looks unlikely to start now it seems Fam is staying and the depth we have in midfield.

I think Weimann will be a regular starter - especially with a 352

Hunt, as it stands, will also start regularly as our first choice RWB.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep as it stands. But would be surprised if we don't bring in Pereira or some other improvement.

I'm not sure who gets dropped for Weimann when all available?

Fam and Wells up top seems to be the plan. Eliasson and Paterson midfield but with Walsh returning too. Massengo an option.

I did see some positive signs with Weimann in midfield though but hard for him to get in there.

We will need different systems - I’m pretty sure we’ll see Wells as our main forward with some rotation of Diedhiou as a traditional ‘target man’, Palmer/Paterson as an advanced playmaker or Weimann as a deeper lying forward who’ll do plenty of running.

That’s a good variety of options and with a congested schedule of games we will need some squad rotation.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We will need different systems

Yes, which is why you could see that selection differently. For instance, Hunt, Vyner, Kallas and Rowe could be a perfectly orthodox flat back four. It will not sit well with anyone who feels strongly that we must have a defined way of playing and adhere to it., but there may be occasions when DH will want to vary it, to match up an opponent, or for some other tactical reason. Just saying...

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah can't see any of them being regulars. Even Weimann looks unlikely to start now it seems Fam is staying and the depth we have in midfield.

Weimann was involved in 45 of last season’s games.

The only one that he missed was following his positive test, he is certain to be a regular, probably not starting quite as many as last season (42!) but a lot.

Hunt will also be in the squad on a regular basis & if Vyner isn’t, (at 24) he needs to move on then, though my hunch based on the fact that he got on the pitch for all 5 of the games that Holden was in charge, is that he will be, too.

Rowe did a superb job whilst Dasilva was injured & is an invaluable squad member.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dasilva didn’t feature v Villa, so can only assume he picked up a little knock / strain, that he’s been nursing.

With 5 missing through international duty next Saturday & 2 others injured it would be bonkers to have risked Dasilva today.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Weimann was involved in 45 of last season’s games.

The only one that he missed was following his positive test, he is certain to be a regular, probably not starting quite as many as last season (42!) but a lot.

Hunt will also be in the squad on a regular basis & if Vyner isn’t, (at 24) he needs to move on then, though my hunch based on the fact that he got on the pitch for all 5 of the games that Holden was in charge, is that he will be, too.

Rowe did a superb job whilst Dasilva was injured & is an invaluable squad member.

Vyner is 23 (May).

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With 5 missing through international duty next Saturday & 2 others injured it would be bonkers to have risked Dasilva today.

Agree, ease him back.

41 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Would be concerned if Rowe, Vyner, Hunt, Weimann and O'Dowda are regular starters going into this season. 

Hopefully focusing on fitness levels and not this being a starting 11 for next Saturday or Coventry.

Seeing as 4 of the starting XI aren’t available to face Exeter I think we can safely say it won’t be.

Just now, JonDolman said:

I'm talking about best 11 if everyone is ever fit. Or more realistically when all in one position are fit..I can't see then where Weimann will be starting with Fam and Wells up top and all the midfield options we now have.

I don’t think Holden will be thinking about best eleven....it’s a squad game, especially with form, injuries, suspensions, fatigue, condensed fixture schedule....especially outside of the GK and CB3.  Those 7 will be rotated to a degree.  As for Weimann, if Holden wants to press from the front, he’ll be important.

On Rowe I don't rate him at wing back. But whatever I think, it seems Holden is going with O'Dowda at left wing back cover to Dasilva.
can’t read too much into pre-season selection.  Today Rowe looks like he’s covering LCB.  Had Baker been fit, he may have started LWB.  All speculative at this point.

If Rowe is seen as left centre back in a 3 then I'm not sure if he will be needed if rumours are true that we are looking to bring in another left sided centre back. It would then be new LCB or Baker. With Kalas, Moore and Vyner there too.

Rowe's best position is supposed to be midfield, but obviously very little chance of him being needed there either.

I either see him as emergency back up that probably won't play. Or moved on.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I'm talking about best 11 if everyone is ever fit. Or more realistically when all in one position are fit..I can't see then where Weimann will be starting with Fam and Wells up top and all the midfield options we now have.

On Rowe I don't rate him at wing back. But whatever I think, it seems Holden is going with O'Dowda at left wing back cover to Dasilva.

If Rowe is seen as left centre back in a 3 then I'm not sure if he will be needed if rumours are true that we are looking to bring in another left sided centre back. It would then be new LCB or Baker. With Kalas, Moore and Vyner there too.

Rowe's best position is supposed to be midfield, but obviously very little chance of him being needed there either.

I either see him as emergency back up that probably won't play. Or moved on.

We’ll see.

Weimann has a superb availability record, is valued as an experienced player on the pitch & versatile.

Would I be at all surprised to see him as a regular starter this season? Nope.

Rowe is a perfect sub, experienced, versatile & uncomplaining, I would get rid of half a dozen that we still have in front of him & fully expect him to see his contract out.

As for O’Dowda bring in front of Rowe for LWB, Baker needs to be fit & we need to know exactly what today’s formation is before you can say that.

Archived