IGNORED

City vs Swindon

t_b

59 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

You’re entitled to your opinion but on this occasion it seems to be based on a lack of knowledge. 

What lack of knowledge???

DH said players are showing signs of fatigue.... 

I'm saying it's not a great sign our players have fatigue before the season starts. How on earth is that a lack of knowledge????

I'm not guessing.... He said our players have fatigue ..... 

6 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I'm saying it's not a great sign our players have fatigue before the season starts. How on earth is that a lack of knowledge????

Did you then switch off? Or did you not understand the words that followed?

5 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

a lack of knowledge of pre season fitness regimes and how working players hard now will benefit them in the long run over a season, despite the chance of fatigue during pre season. 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

a lack of knowledge of pre season fitness regimes and how working players hard now will benefit them in the long run over a season, despite the chance of fatigue during pre season. 

I don't recall us ever having players with fatigue after three warm up matches

This isn't our first rodeo gents. I just seems odd to me we've worked them into a state of fatigue before we've kicked a ball in the league 

3 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

This isn't our first rodeo gents. I just seems odd to me we've worked them into a state of fatigue before we've kicked a ball in the league 

It’s not odd if you know what you are on about. He disclosed they were fatigued as had been working them extra hard. He didn’t seem concerned so not sure why you are. Players in other pre seasons will have been fatigued as well.  

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s not odd if you know what you are on about. He disclosed they were fatigued as had been working them extra hard. He didn’t seem concerned so not sure why you are. Players in other pre seasons will have been fatigued as well.  

So you know what you are on about then? Are you able to elaborate because I am also concerned that are players are fatigued at this stage?!

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

So you know what you are on about then? Are you able to elaborate because I am also concerned that are players are fatigued at this stage?!

Short version is that - even with a relatively short pre-season break, fitness levels will have dropped. Players won't have run around for 90 minutes for a few weeks and their stamina, recovery and energy levels will be below where you need them to be.

The way you get them back up, is to push players hard in pre-season. When you're building up players' fitness as the beginning of the season, it is a good tactic to push them beyond what they can do until fatigue kicks in as it builds up stamina and increases fitness levels so they can do more next time.

I get why the logic sounds a bit perverse but fatiguing players and pushing them to do more now actually means they'll be less fatigued later as they will be accustomed to expending higher levels of energy and their body will adjust to it.  It's a bit like marathon runners. When you're building up distance, running 10k will feel a long way. If you're used to running marathons, 10k feels easy. But you need to fatigue yourself getting through 10k, 15k and 20k etc to run a marathon*.

So it is normal for players to be fatigued now but pushing them beyond that point will mean they recover quicker later in the season. When players struggle for fitness a few months into the season, it is often because they didn't push their fitness levels high enough when the season began.

*Disclaimer: My limit is about 12k and I've never pushed myself beyond it. 

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Short version is that - even with a relatively short pre-season break, fitness levels will have dropped. Players won't have run around for 90 minutes for a few weeks and their stamina, recovery and energy levels will be below where you need them to be.

The way you get them back up, is to push players hard in pre-season. When you're building up players' fitness as the beginning of the season, it is a good tactic to push them beyond what they can do until fatigue kicks in as it builds up stamina and increases fitness levels so they can do more next time.

I get why the logic sounds a bit perverse but fatiguing players and pushing them to do more now actually means they'll be less fatigued later as they will be accustomed to expending higher levels of energy and their body will adjust to it.  It's a bit like marathon runners. When you're building up distance, running 10k will feel a long way. If you're used to running marathons, 10k feels easy. But you need to fatigue yourself getting through 10k, 15k and 20k etc to run a marathon*.

So it is normal for players to be fatigued now but pushing them beyond that point will mean they recover quicker later in the season. When players struggle for fitness a few months into the season, it is often because they didn't push their fitness levels high enough when the season began.

*Disclaimer: My limit is about 12k and I've never pushed myself beyond it. 

I completely understand the concept, but I'm being asked to assume that Swindon players have not gone through an equally torrid process.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

I completely understand the concept, but I'm being asked to assume that Swindon players have not gone through an equally torrid process.

To be fair to one of your posters he did say that Swindon's season finished in mid March so would have more recovery time but others may argue that they've also had more time for fitness levels to diminish 

47 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Holden wants them fatigued to get used to playing Sat/Weds which is what he probably meant if reading between the lines

Getting minutes into the legs and all that

Anyone who gets it and knows the fitness process fully understand, others on here not a clue 

Just now, INCRED said:

Holden wants them fatigued to get used to playing Sat/Weds which is what he probably meant if reading between the lines

Getting minutes into the legs and all that

Anyone who gets it and knows the fitness process fully understand, others on here not a clue 

Aye. And there are also some who deliberately don't get it.

I would rather hear players fatigued from a pre season it means the players are being pushed hard by doing this you will get extra out of there stamina levels,It's not concerning just help the body produce better fitness levels. Let's get more concerned about performances and results this season coming.

From last year's pre-season: Cristiano Ronaldo rested from a friendly due to fatigue: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/ronaldo-rested-for-juventus-friendly-in-korea-sarri-confirms/1443xlualfdq6128i0jysh06mu

Also last year: Real Madrid's Vinicius Jr admits Real players are "tired" and the article mentions that "fatigue" word: https://www.90min.com/posts/6410633-vinicius-jr-admits-real-madrid-players-are-tired-as-pre-season-tour-kicks-off-in-us

Today: Oldham manager Harry Kewell mentions "stiffness" and "fatigue" setting in: https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/august/29082020-kewell-lincoln-transcript/

A couple of years ago, the messiah that is Neil Warnock said his players looked "tired" in a pre-season friendly because they had been trained hard on the morning of the game: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-allays-fears-over-14935668

In another sport, London Welsh's pre-season plans for last year included "fatigue training": https://www.londonwelshrfc.com/news/pre-season-agenda-revealed-2432703.html

Almost like it's a thing in sports training...

14 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Who has asked you to do that?

Holden said in the post-match interview that he was disappointed that we didn't score more and win the game, then pointed out that the players have been fatigued by an intense training schedule.

So it's an excuse, but only if your opponent was less fatigued. If the opponent has also been beasting their players, fatigue is irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Holden said in the post-match interview that he was disappointed that we didn't score more and win the game, then pointed out that the players have been fatigued by an intense training schedule.

So it's an excuse, but only if your opponent was less fatigued. If the opponent has also been beasting their players, fatigue is irrelevant. 

Sounds like your casting your own thoughts onto the interview there. For what it's worth, Richie Wellens also said he was disappointed they didn't score more.

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Sounds like your casting your own thoughts onto the interview there. For what it's worth, Richie Wellens also said he was disappointed they didn't score more.

I can write the words verbatim if you like?

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

Out of interest, have you ever done a proper pre-season, e.g. not just turning for a bit of practice ahead of a new season.  One where you’re puking (not a necessity) because you’ve been pushed hard over a few weeks?  If you have, you may have played some friendlies where you aren’t quite “at-it” because the intensity of training has an effect.  However, by the time you start playing league games you’ve built the reserves in your body to get through 90 minutes much better.

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Nobody has asked whether the Swindon guys were, they may have been also.

31 minutes ago, mozo said:

What has Swindon’s fitness got to do with our ability to pass the ball and finish chances ?

26 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

The bit where he asks you to "assume that Swindon players have not gone through an equally torrid process"? You'll find that doesn't exist.

Yeah that was me applying logic. You're welcome to debate that logic if you disagree?

Example, if you beat me in a race and I say, "well it was a hot day". You could then argue that it was hot for you too so it's a meaningless excuse. 

I'm not making any lasting judgments of Holden on this one thing, but he probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Out of interest, have you ever done a proper pre-season, e.g. not just turning for a bit of practice ahead of a new season.  One where you’re puking (not a necessity) because you’ve been pushed hard over a few weeks?  If you have, you may have played some friendlies where you aren’t quite “at-it” because the intensity of training has an effect.  However, by the time you start playing league games you’ve built the reserves in your body to get through 90 minutes much better.

Nobody has asked whether the Swindon guys were, they may have been also.

I have yes, I played semi pro for three seasons

Archived