IGNORED

The Athletic

Tangle Foot

There is some good content on there with some interesting articles and occasional piece that predates 1992 but you do have to get past both the pretentiousness and big club bias, might be worth doing a trial and seeing how you get on with it (think they do a 7 day free trial but you’d have to cancel to avoid being charged)

Bournemouth, Derby, Watford, Norwich, Forest and Shef Weds are the only EFL sides that have coverage from their own Gregor reporting on them. They do cover other teams, but its one off pieces. 

I've asked when they will be covering City a few times now and they always say they are looking at expanding their coverage - which I read as when we go up they'll think about it. Been some good articles on Joe Bryan and his mental health, and recently the potential of Lloyd Kelly.

I think its pretty good personally. Definitely worth a free trial.

2 minutes ago, Maldini said:

Bournemouth, Derby, Watford, Norwich, Forest and Shef Weds are the only EFL sides that have coverage from their own Gregor reporting on them. They do cover other teams, but its one off pieces. 

I've asked when they will be covering City a few times now and they always say they are looking at expanding their coverage - which I read as when we go up they'll think about it. Been some good articles on Joe Bryan and his mental health, and recently the potential of Lloyd Kelly.

I think its pretty good personally. Definitely worth a free trial.

Agree with most of that. Well worth the £3 per month subscription if you're happy to read about other stuff not involving City.

Some really good in depth articles about all sorts of players/teams/issues within the game.

I subscribed at the start of the season, I expected to cancel after the free trial but the variety is quite interesting.

I don't think there is anyone specifically covering City but you can pick City as your topic of interest and there's a feed that shows you every article containing a reference to City.

As others have said, there's a lot about bigger clubs but you can understand that because the Athetic want to consider themselves a 'player' in football media. I tend to avoid the comments sections, particularly aroud issues that get fans' backs up (imagine the threads about Villa & Derby over the last few years, with more of their fans logging in to give their defence). I also don't read much by Phil Hay - not because I don't think he's a good jounralist but there's only so much Leeds a man can take.

This season we've had;

A Brighton focus on Webster before the season got going. A Chelsea story on Abraham. A Steve Coppell Article. Eddie Nketiah saga. Sam Baldock story. Eddie Nketiah part 2. Transfer Gossip on a potential bid for Kai Corbett. Focus on Brownhill. Wilbraham article. Norman Hunter article. More Brownhill. General Article on dressing room etiquette for managers with a bit on Lee Johnson. Sean Dyche article. James Morton & Christianity as a young footballer. Even more Brownhill. Paul Cook leaving Wigan. Lloyd Kelly Article.

General Championship stories on; FFP. Ticket Prices. Coronavirus. Money. Points Per Game. Restart of the league.

If it's the kind of thing that interests you (stories around City more often than stories about City), it's worth it - it also gives a bit more info than you would normally get from a local paper if say you wanted to read up on an upcoming opponent or follow the success or otherwise of another club.

• SC&T Board Members

Agree with what many above have said.

If you enjoy well-written, long-form sports journalism, it's very good. They've recruited some of the best national sports journalists in the country and have some well-known writers doing dedicated coverage of the biggest teams.

But, as others have said, if you're only after City stuff, that's not what it does.

3 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

I subscribed at the start of the season, I expected to cancel after the free trial but the variety is quite interesting.

I don't think there is anyone specifically covering City but you can pick City as your topic of interest and there's a feed that shows you every article containing a reference to City.

As others have said, there's a lot about bigger clubs but you can understand that because the Athetic want to consider themselves a 'player' in football media. I tend to avoid the comments sections, particularly aroud issues that get fans' backs up (imagine the threads about Villa & Derby over the last few years, with more of their fans logging in to give their defence). I also don't read much by Phil Hay - not because I don't think he's a good jounralist but there's only so much Leeds a man can take.

This season we've had;

A Brighton focus on Webster before the season got going. A Chelsea story on Abraham. A Steve Coppell Article. Eddie Nketiah saga. Sam Baldock story. Eddie Nketiah part 2. Transfer Gossip on a potential bid for Kai Corbett. Focus on Brownhill. Wilbraham article. Norman Hunter article. More Brownhill. General Article on dressing room etiquette for managers with a bit on Lee Johnson. Sean Dyche article. James Morton & Christianity as a young footballer. Even more Brownhill. Paul Cook leaving Wigan. Lloyd Kelly Article.

General Championship stories on; FFP. Ticket Prices. Coronavirus. Money. Points Per Game. Restart of the league.

If it's the kind of thing that interests you (stories around City more often than stories about City), it's worth it - it also gives a bit more info than you would normally get from a local paper if say you wanted to read up on an upcoming opponent or follow the success or otherwise of another club.

Good insight, that does make it sound quite appealing, deffo worth a free trial lookie

It is so-so on football and I’ve not seen much covering any leagues other than the major European ones (MLS coverage is good tbf) or European competition. The odd good long form article but frankly not much on a day-to-day/week-to-week basis.

It is absolutely fantastic for other sports though, particularly US ones; their baseball and American football coverage is second to none.

Archived