IGNORED

Deluded?

rossofficial

5 hours ago, rossofficial said:

Lets be honest. most clubs think they are bigger than what they are. City has been a league 1 / championship club last 40 years. and yes we are a small club in a big City. A rovers fan said to me the other day thinks Rovers are same size club as peterborough. deluded! Posh are a play off side on history. rovers mediocre league 1 /league 2 side. Surely City are similar size to Millwall, Rotherham, Brentford. thoughts? 

Cool story bro..

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Arsenal, Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Newcastle, Sheffield U, Southampton, Spurs, West Brom, West Ham, Wolves, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Cardiff, Coventry, Derby, Huddersfield, Boro, Norwich, QPR, Preston, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Sunderland, Charlton, Hull and Portsmouth. 

That'd be my list, a few in there up for debate but probably 32-34 certs

Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Blackburn, Bolton, Huddersfield, QPR, Preston, Swansea, Watford, Charlton, Hull, Portsmouth all smaller than us.

Cardiff I would say we are pretty par with and cannot decide on Coventry, Ipswich.

My criteria is number of fans. For example Burnley haven't averaged more fans than we have now since 1963. 

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Arsenal, Villa, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Man U, Man City, Newcastle, Sheffield U, Southampton, Spurs, West Brom, West Ham, Wolves, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Cardiff, Coventry, Derby, Huddersfield, Boro, Norwich, QPR, Preston, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Sunderland, Charlton, Hull and Portsmouth. 

this is Almost spot on. our role model is a team like southampton. a club that does it all the right way. i see them top 7 and back to normal next season if they keep ings

4 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Cool story bro..

cheers bro

It's hard to define a big club.... Is it based on fans through the door? Titles and trophy's? League position? Or all of the above?

Personally, I see us as a mid sized team with potential for another step up. 

I don't believe Rotherham can say the same.

I guess Brentford, PNE, Barnsley would be a better comparison.

Hi ross, it is important to define a small, tiny club first. Here goes - play seasons outside of their home city at a non league ground, drop into non league, spend 20 years at least a division below their local rivals, never play in the top flight, never reach an FA Cup final. Does that help?

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

It's hard to define a big club.... Is it based on fans through the door? Titles and trophy's? League position? Or all of the above?

Personally, I see us as a mid sized team with potential for another step up. 

I don't believe Rotherham can say the same.

I guess Brentford, PNE, Barnsley would be a better comparison.

Why are you comparing us to clubs with half the fans?

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Charlton Pompey Watford Swansea qpr Preston Bolton and Huddersfield,really?

Brighton and Burnley 

I guess it's all about how you define a club being bigger than another. All the clubs you've listed have either played in Europe, won a major competition or have had more years than us in the top two leagues (QPR aside, who I'll admit we're probably slightly bigger than) 

Its difficult to base things off of attendances when we're based in such a large city with basically no competition for fans, especially when compared to the clubs you've listed. 

I suppose it's all up for debate though! 

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Probably the most boring debate whenever it comes up. Size of club..yawn.

What does it even mean.

quite agree. It's a complete irrelevance. Bradford and Wimbledon have both played in the Premier League, therefore bigger than Bristol City. Wimbledon even memorably beat Liverpool in a FA Cup Final and Wigan beat Man City......oh hang on

9 hours ago, rossofficial said:

here goes the debate! bournemouth have gathered 4 to 5 years prem experience. which most city fans would crave! surely this lets bournemouth overtake city on this. if you asked this question to Bournemouth fans would they say they are bigger than city? 

Success doesn't go hand in hand with size of a club. 

I wouldn't regard Wigan as bigger than city, yet they have a far better recent (last 10 years or so) history. 

League 1 this season has sevel clubs in it who a "bigger" than many championship and some Premier league clubs. 

Success is one thing, but if you are purely talking about size of club, the attendance (proba ly fairest over the past decade, for current rating) is probably the simplest barometer.

City are far bigger than we were 10/20 years ago. 

Rovers maintain a consistent mid 3rd/4th level status, I'd say. 

11 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

My club's bigger than your club. 

I never understood fans obsession with this. I'd say bragging rights should be earned based on most recent results and league standings.

It’s just chest beating from the insecure.

To me, and I’m sure plenty of others agree that Liverpool, both Manchester clubs, Everton, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are ‘big’ clubs. They alway have been and they always have been.

Just now, Robbored said:

It’s just chest beating from the insecure.

To me, and I’m sure plenty of others agree that Liverpool, both Manchester clubs, Everton, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are ‘big’ clubs. They alway have been.

The other question is whether the OP meant to say “deluded” or “delusional”.

If people are deluded, they have been tricked, which implies that a third party has intentionally tricked them. This would probably be the club.

I suspect she/he means “delusional”.

Ahem...

Personally. I rate the size of a club by trophies/leagues won . Years in the top flight. Number of fans comes last on the list because it depends how many clubs are near you geographically . Newcastle fans claim they’re massive because of fanbase . If this was true they’d be on a par with Liverpool which obviously they’re nowhere near . 

I started mid 60's. We traditionally were a mid to bottom 2nd tier team (or lower.) That was our station. On average we've been that ever since and despite all talk of 'progress' we finished lower last season than my first.

Deluded? Absolutely. When I started the division you were in was largely irrelevant. You supported your local team (that's what everybody did,) and NEVER, EVER thought of 'supporting' a side higher up the league as, for one, you'd rarely see them play. Might look out for another team's results, but that was it. Never thought to see each week the talents on show at the highest level, hence were rarely disappointed. No pressure to deliver trophies and compete with the best because, well, historically we never had.

For potential and in terms of resource we've been Premier underachievers for decades.

By any reasonable measure and considering populous, size of catchment, transport changes and disposable income,  our support is hugely reduced to that at my first game. 

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

if Arsenal are a Conger Eel....... Bristol city are a Trout............Then i guess Rovers are a Stickleback

Gas are Coelacanth. Long thought extinct, occasionally emerging from the depths in very small numbers. Ugly sods to boot.

10 hours ago, JBFC II said:

It's  such an intriguing debatable question and I suppose it depends on what era you are compairing to 

5 minutes ago, NlGHTMARE said:

I don’t buy into all this big club, small club, bollox. The way I’d describe BFC is historically a second tier club, with an hardcore of around 10,500 home, and 800 to 1000 away supporters. In our recent history (last 10 years) we’re a well run club, living within our means, developing young players, and playing attacking attractive football on a low budget. 

And I’m happy with that. 

Good honest summary and as a comparison I would say in my time of following STFC since the late 70's a comparable average would be a lower 3/4 tier club around 6500-7000 home and 350-500 away, developed the odd young player. playing attractive football and always on a low budget

11 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Hull?

Seriously?

14 hours ago, rossofficial said:

Lets be honest. most clubs think they are bigger than what they are. City has been a league 1 / championship club last 40 years. and yes we are a small club in a big City. A rovers fan said to me the other day thinks Rovers are same size club as peterborough. deluded! Posh are a play off side on history. rovers mediocre league 1 /league 2 side. Surely City are similar size to Millwall, Rotherham, Brentford. thoughts? 

F26AEEA8-7925-4EF2-B1FC-84662749806C.gif

Archived