IGNORED

Steve speaks

Simon bristol

A very good listen.  Addresses every criticism that has been sent the clubs way and has an answer and reason for everything that has been done.  Can imagine certain fans will reach badly to this especially Steve’s comment about feeling sorry for some fans who say they’ve gone for the cheap option. 

Really hope everyone can get behind the team now.  

The one thing I noted is that he believes DH and team to get us into top 6.

Believes...expects...not sure how DH will be judged if he doesn't achieve.

Obviously has a lot of faith in DH and assistants and his dicision and that it's seen as long term. Which is interesting considering the contract.

Not too much pressure on DH then...as fans will pick up on the top 6 expectations again.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Obviously has a lot of faith in DH and assistants and his dicision and that it's seen as long term. Which is interesting considering the contract.

Not too much pressure on DH then...as fans will pick up on the top 6 expectations again.

I did find this interesting.

”I don’t set ultimatums”, “Dean knows what our ambitions are”, “our aim is the same as last season... top six”.

While I’d never expect him/the club to say ‘playoffs-or-bust’ there is an element of the expectations not having been changed in what SL said there, which could prove interesting if we struggle.

Personally, a rookie HC and new senior coaching team would usually carry a degree of lowered expectations, but by presenting DH as a continuity candidate, does ramp up the pressure a bit.

One thing that I also found interesting is SL stating clearly Holden had brought together his senior coaching team; if that is the case, I do see his ability to quietly persuade senior national-level coaches to work under him as a positive.

LJ made much noise about his connections but we tended to appoint those he’d worked with previously who could be considered junior to him - perhaps Holden has a different attitude to working with other more experienced coaches, and they with him.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

Exactly why not give DH a 5yr contract straight up if he was so sure he has what it takes to take us up? and the bit where he reels of the money spent on us and the rugger boys and the far, far, far, far different in stadium money £50million (or whatever it was) and money being spent on training facilities etc; well Bristol Rugby play in the stadium as well its not ours, far from it, and they too have also new training facilities; so not that different.

Lots of mention of Dean Ashton as well who seems to be running the show and has his feet well under the table.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Exactly why not give DH a 5yr contract straight up if he was so sure he has what it takes to take us up?
No need to give a manager a longer deal than he really needs too.  12 month rolling contracts are pretty common.

and the bit where he reels of the money spent on us and the rugger boys and the far, far, far, far different in stadium money £50million (or whatever it was) and money being spent on training facilities etc; well Bristol Rugby play in the stadium as well its not ours, far from it, and they too have also new training facilities; so not that different.

Wages spent on football team and the fees spent on transfers is much higher. Steve invites you to look on companies house. Maybe do that. 

Lots of mention of Dean Ashton as well who seems to be running the show and has his feet weel under the table.

Think you mean Mark Ashton.  In his role it would be weird if he wasn’t running the show. That’s pretty much his job. 

Answered your queries 

36 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Exactly why not give DH a 5yr contract straight up if he was so sure he has what it takes to take us up? and the bit where he reels of the money spent on us and the rugger boys and the far, far, far, far different in stadium money £50million (or whatever it was) and money being spent on training facilities etc; well Bristol Rugby play in the stadium as well its not ours, far from it, and they too have also new training facilities; so not that different.

Lots of mention of Dean Ashton as well who seems to be running the show and has his feet well under the table.

Who ?

Does he work with Mark Holden ?

I turned it off at “I went on talksport, I said what I said and I believe we’ve got it.” 

I think we’re very lucky to have SL, but that’s utter horse shit. This is an extreme gamble and not at all what he described we were looking for. I need to hear no further. He’s defending the indefensible. 

8 minutes ago, Atyeo's Love Child said:

I’m sure he was given the list of questions in advance, but it is probably the norm for this sort of PR video. 
Anyway hopefully this might calm those down who are fixated on how much he spends on the rugby, both clubs are very lucky to have him as their owner.

I thought the questions were piss poor so maybe the bloke asking them was given a script in advance.

SL came over well as he always does. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I turned it off at “I went on talksport, I said what I said and I believe we’ve got it.” 

I think we’re very lucky to have SL, but that’s utter horse shit. This is an extreme gamble and not at all what he described we were looking for. I need to hear no further. He’s defending the indefensible. 

He’s talking about the whole coaching team. Ie all three.  

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought the questions were piss poor so maybe the bloke asking them was given a script in advance.

Every criticism that has been thrown at the club was asked. Don’t see how that is piss poor 

9 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

The key part which he mentioned which fans usually conveniently overlook is when he mentioned look at the accounts for both the football club and the bears, probably 4/5 times as much is spent on the football clubs wage bill each season, its merely a case of world class players being available for less money in Rugby so I think the comments that get made about Steve's focus being rugby are very harsh. Steve can only put so much money into football per season ~£8m so he can't pump more money into the squad even if he wanted to.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

some things were addressed,but i agree. at least dean has NOT been given a long term contract- like  he said its a RESULTS bussiness, so lets see how he does,

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He’s talking about the whole coaching team. Ie all three.  

Every criticism that has been thrown at the club was asked. Don’t see how that is piss poor 

I think it’s obvious they’ve picked the path of least resistance.

Its important to note that this doesn’t mean I won’t be completely behind Holden & co, I will, but they’re not a group I can get excited about when compared with that initial description SL gave on talksport. Essentially we’ve been prickteased. 

14 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Dean Ashton?  Have we brought him on board?  Good striker in his day, mind...

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s frankly absurd.  As someone says elsewhere, every question that needed to be asked was asked, though maybe not in the way that you would have liked.  Though, given that this was a BCFC interview, we might have expected that the interviewer would at least have been polite and respectful.

11 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Shame you didn’t listen to the rest then, rather than making you mind up before listening to the whole interview?  What were you scared of hearing?

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s frankly absurd.  As someone says elsewhere, every question that needed to be asked was asked, though maybe not in the way that you would have liked.  Though, given that this was a BCFC interview, we might have expected that the interviewer would at least have been polite and respectful.

The only one I thought that could have been asked was 'why only a 12 month contract for Dean' but the answer is obvious and didn't really need to be out loud, so there wasn't a need for Steve to say it

7 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The key part which he mentioned which fans usually conveniently overlook is when he mentioned look at the accounts for both the football club and the bears, probably 4/5 times as much is spent on the football clubs wage bill each season, its merely a case of world class players being available for less money in Rugby so I think the comments that get made about Steve's focus being rugby are very harsh. Steve can only put so much money into football per season ~£8m so he can't pump more money into the squad even if he wanted to.

You can lead a horse (fan) to water (explanation) but you cannot make him drink (understand) 

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Shame you didn’t listen to the rest then, rather than making you mind up before listening to the whole interview?  What were you scared of hearing?

No, it’s a fair point, but I want to get behind Holden and I feel that listening to it further I’d just be subjected to more untruths and I’d lose a little more respect for SL and reopen old wounds. 

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

You can lead a horse (fan) to water (explanation) but you cannot make him drink (understand) 

Oh my Dave. I wholly enjoyed your use of brackets there. It’s my post of the day!

Just now, juice said:

some things were addressed,but i agree. at least dean has NOT been given a long term contract- like  he said its a RESULTS bussiness, so lets see how he does,

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

The only one I thought that could have been asked was 'why only a 12 month contract for Dean' but the answer is obvious and didn't really need to be out loud, so there wasn't a need for Steve to say it

Its a contract as long as any other ever given by the club (since when did contract length matter in football anyway).

He could have been given 4 years like LJ - but sacked after one then pay compensation for the other three.

He has a rolling contract which has one year to run at any time he is with us, not a one year contract which has an end date of next year. So he could be here for ten years on that contract but only one year compensation when/if he gets sacked. 

Seems extremely sensible to me.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Its a contract as long as any other ever given by the club (since when did contract length matter in football anyway).

He could have been given 4 years like LJ - but sacked after one then pay compensation for the other three.

He has a rolling contract which has one year to run at any time he is with us, not a one year contract which has an end date of next year. So he could be here for ten years on that contract but only one year compensation when/if he gets sacked. 

Seems extremely sensible to me.

Hence why I said it didn't need to be asked ?‍♂️

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s frankly absurd.  As someone says elsewhere, every question that needed to be asked was asked, though maybe not in the way that you would have liked given that this was a BCFC interview, we might have expected that the interviewer would at least have been polite and respectful.

You’re right there.

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

27 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I understood it to be a 12 month rolling contract rather than a fixed term contact for one year that expires in 2021. As @And Its Smithsaid above, these types of contracts are common. Means you only have to pay 12 months compensation. Much more sensible than appointing someone on a 5 year contract that you’d have to compensate for in full. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

I understood it to be a 12 month rolling contract rather than a fixed term contact for one year that expires in 2021. As @And Its Smithsaid above, these types of contracts are common. Means you only have to pay 12 months compensation. Much more sensible than appointing someone on a 5 year contract that you’d have to compensate for in full. 

Yes it is a rolling contract but the point was the negative comments on here at the time pointed towards the lack of faith for at least a 2 year deal. And again the point I made was that the answer was obvious enough as to why Steve didn't need to be asked it.

If it wasn't the cheap option then presumably we are paying Dean as much as we would have paid somebody with a proven track record. Otherwise it would indeed be the cheap, or at least cheaper, option.

Might still be the right choice of course and if he makes the top 6 with the players at his disposal he will deserve a hefty pay rise.

Archived