IGNORED

Steve speaks

Simon bristol

I’ve not had chance to watch the video yet but what bugs me with this is that SL has his son in as chairman and MA as chief exec who should be answering these questions and it’s their responsibility to get fans on board and to basically spend money.

If SL is having to do interviews they are failing in their roles and should be moved on for someone who can do the job

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Interesting line about the “answer being on our doorstep” regarding Holden.

Why then did it take 6 weeks to realise that, when you’ve had 4 years plus to realise that?

And what does it say about the candidate if they’re happy to sit in the background for 4 years plus?

And what does it say about every other club that no one unearthed him after in the 6 years plus he’s been coaching? And the only reason he’s got a championship managers job is ‘right place at the right time’.

I’m not calling it the cheap option, but I just wish SL had come out and spoken more honestly in that interview because I neither agree or believe a lot of what he said there.

It’s not an ambitious appointment, it’s not a breath of fresh air.

Personally when I see DH do an interview all I still see is “the assistant Johnson sent out when he couldn’t be bothered to do the media” 

Agree. As somebody else said its defending the indefensible. Unfortunately it is clear that Lansdown hasn’t learnt his lesson from the Tinnion and Millen fiascos.

Its not the cheap option but yet again I firmly believe it will be the wrong option. We will be looking for a new manager in 6 months or less IMO.

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I’ve not had chance to watch the video yet but what bugs me this is that SL has his son in as chairman and MA as chief exec who should be answering these questions and it’s their responsibility to get fans on board and to basically spend money.

If SL is having to do interviews they are failing in their roles and should be moved on for someone who can do the job

Jon Lansdown is hopeless. I cringe so badly for him when he publicly speaks. Somebody on here (cant remember who it was) said they felt sorry for him because public speaking isn’t for everyone. Well **** me is that not one of the KEY aspects of being a modern day chairman? To be able to engage with your fanbase? This club is farcical and watching SL in that video has just wound me right up again. I had actually started to come to terms with Holden but **** sake people we are being taken for MUGS.

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

One thing is for sure, Lansdown will be judged by many on this appointment.

I don't think he really cares how fans judge him. He has appointed Tinnion, Millen, Johnson got rid of Cotts after providing no backing after promotion etc etc. Why would he suddenly care what we think if this experiment fails too??

2 minutes ago, collier said:

I don't think he really cares how fans judge him. He has appointed Tinnion, Millen, Johnson got rid of Cotts after providing no backing after promotion etc etc. Why would he suddenly care what we think if this experiment fails too??

Agreed. He doesn’t give a ****. Its his club not ours remember..

If SL genuinely believes DH is the man to get us into the top six it confirms three things - he is more deluded than I previously thought, he has no regard for fans’ opinions on the way forward, and he still calls the shots (if anyone was in any doubt).

I’m happy to eat humble pie and hope DH proves me wrong, but that’s what I took away from watching that interview. 

I will get abuse and thankfully there is no kore eggplant emoji ? but I can’t bring myself to listen to it. I can’t be fed more bullshit from SL and be expected to believe it.

You aren’t going to hear its my club and I will do what I want. Unfortunately that is probably the closest to the truth you can get. Everything else he says is just spin and more bullshit. No doubt this will get 80-90% of the fanbase back on board with this “interview.” You wonder why it took 3 weeks for him to talk about the guy he entrusted to his biggest investment in Bristol Sport. Probably because he knew he couldn’t say one thing wrong or there would be uproar. You can guarantee that it was probably scripted all the way down to facial expressions and tone. 

Will add he’ll keep getting my money and DH my support. I enjoy going to AG. I enjoy a beer or two with mates and those SC holders I have got to know over the past 6 years. DH deserves support as a person and he gets that. Just not expecting any ambition with their actions anymore. SL, JL and MA can say what they like. I just hope they can fluke their way to a promotion one of these years. 

7 minutes ago, collier said:

As he has said many times its his club and he will do what he wants so nobody should be surprised by his comments 

36 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Explaining what the vision Dean is said to have is not the same as giving detailed tactical information away. Not that there any real tactical secrets in football.

A vision is by definition an overarching thing and rather general so shouldn't be hard to explain.

If it impressed the recruitment panel presumably it would impress fans as well.

Exactly, and one would think that the owner of the club would be very keen to share that vision that so impressed the Board with the fans,  so as to inspire some hope/confidence in those of us who are still unsure.  

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

Exactly, and one would think that the owner of the club would be very keen to share that vision that so impressed the Board with the fans,  so as to inspire some hope/confidence in those of us who are still unsure.  

There is no vision and hasn't been since the infamous five pillars. 

If anyone seriously believes that there is a clear footballing vision/strategy at the club given what has happened over the past 2 months, I'm afraid to say they are completely deluded. And that includes every single member of the Board. 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If anyone seriously believes that there is a clear footballing vision/strategy at the club given what has happened over the past 2 months, I'm afraid to say they are completely deluded. And that includes every single member of the Board. 

That’s what I was alluding to K. It’s just flannel.  

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But Ashton said Dean had a clear vision so it must be true surely? He would never bullsh1t in an interview after all.

Of course it could just be "I want to play attacking football", in which case it's a cliche not a vision

3 hours ago, spudski said:

The one thing I noted is that he believes DH and team to get us into top 6.

Believes...expects...not sure how DH will be judged if he doesn't achieve.

Obviously has a lot of faith in DH and assistants and his dicision and that it's seen as long term. Which is interesting considering the contract.

Not too much pressure on DH then...as fans will pick up on the top 6 expectations again.

He said the same about Johnson

It's just the same regurgitated shit we hear from lansdown at either (a) start of new season or (b) appointment of new head coach. I'm not against the actual appointment of dean but I along with others refuse to believe and now to more of lansdownes bullshit. Anything to do with the football side of the club the bloke is clueless.

I'm disappointed with bits of that. There are long standing supporters who too, have invested emotionally and financially for a lot longer then Stephen Lansdown, that are quite within their rights to be concerned that this is a cheap appointment. To be concerned that we've appointed someone with next to no managerial experience.

Unlike Stephen Lansdown, I have no say in how the club spends my money. Given that, I would like to be afforded the opportunity to comment on it on here, without being called a "cheap shot" merchant.  

The reaction from the usual suspects on here is what one would expect. It is generally rude and shows lack of respect for a man who has piled vast amounts of cash into our club. The infrastructure will stand us in good stead for many decades to come and yet people still seem to think that he would deliberately allow a dud to be chosen as head coach. Not much logic in that! Maybe it is time for even the usual suspects to understand that the board chose an candidate who was, in their opinion, a person who could deliver their ambitions.  None of the moaners knew what happened during the process, they just make up stuff to believe and get hysterical in their criticism.  Maybe time for every supporter to move on and support - the team, the head coach, the staff and most of all our benefactor Steve, who has provided the launching pad for our club to have a great chance of achieving sustainable success. 

I really don't know what people expected him to say other than what he said, like it or not. And, as this is the real world, do people really expect him to go into any detail at all about the head coach appointment and what was said ? Dream on.

I would agree with him about people who bang on about him being more ambitious for the rugby club than the football - they really should have a look at the accounts for both and they would see how ridiculous that is (but they won't). I think he explained that point very well and put it to bed as far as I am concerned.

9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The reaction from the usual suspects on here is what one would expect. It is generally rude and shows lack of respect for a man who has piled vast amounts of cash into our club. The infrastructure will stand us in good stead for many decades to come and yet people still seem to think that he would deliberately allow a dud to be chosen as head coach. Not much logic in that! Maybe it is time for even the usual suspects to understand that the board chose an candidate who was, in their opinion, a person who could deliver their ambitions.  None of the moaners knew what happened during the process, they just make up stuff to believe and get hysterical in their criticism.  Maybe time for every supporter to move on and support - the team, the head coach, the staff and most of all our benefactor Steve, who has provided the launching pad for our club to have a great chance of achieving sustainable success. 

What's the weather like in Guernsey this evening, Steve? 

3 hours ago, chinapig said:

If it wasn't the cheap option then presumably we are paying Dean as much as we would have paid somebody with a proven track record. Otherwise it would indeed be the cheap, or at least cheaper, option.

Might still be the right choice of course and if he makes the top 6 with the players at his disposal he will deserve a hefty pay rise.

No, the "cheap option" suggests choosing the cheapest person for that reason alone.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Jon Lansdown is hopeless. I cringe so badly for him when he publicly speaks. Somebody on here (cant remember who it was) said they felt sorry for him because public speaking isn’t for everyone. Well **** me is that not one of the KEY aspects of being a modern day chairman? To be able to engage with your fanbase? This club is farcical and watching SL in that video has just wound me right up again. I had actually started to come to terms with Holden but **** sake people we are being taken for MUGS.

:laugh:, I said that about Jon, but I agree with your post it's all part of the job, if he can't hack it then someone else should be in the post

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Interesting line about the “answer being on our doorstep” regarding Holden.

Why then did it take 6 weeks to realise that, when you’ve had 4 years plus to realise that?

And what does it say about the candidate if they’re happy to sit in the background for 4 years plus?

And what does it say about every other club that no one unearthed him after in the 6 years plus he’s been coaching? And the only reason he’s got a championship managers job is ‘right place at the right time’.

I’m not calling it the cheap option, but I just wish SL had come out and spoken more honestly in that interview because I neither agree or believe a lot of what he said there.

It’s not an ambitious appointment, it’s not a breath of fresh air.

Personally when I see DH do an interview all I still see is “the assistant Johnson sent out when he couldn’t be bothered to do the media” 

Why is it so impossible to believe that:

It took so long because they didn't expect him to be such a strong candidate? That they interviewed a number of experienced managers who may or may not have come across well or agreed with the targets/parameters the club set out?

Happy to sit in the background, or working hard learning his trade? How do you know what influence he may have tried to have and how much LJ listened or wanted to use?

There's lots of coaches that go "unearthed", if he hasn't applied for another job then why would teams consider him over any other assistant manager in football?

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

No, the "cheap option" suggests choosing the cheapest person for that reason alone.

You may be right but that leads me to return to my question as to what the clear vision is that apparently clinched the job for Dean and why nobody is asking what it is.

Companies that claim to have a vision tend to publish it. Though it must be said it often turns out to be a load of platitudes expressed in corporate speak so perhaps we are better off not knowing.

1 hour ago, tin said:

If SL genuinely believes DH is the man to get us into the top six it confirms three things - he is more deluded than I previously thought, he has no regard for fans’ opinions on the way forward, and he still calls the shots (if anyone was in any doubt).

I’m happy to eat humble pie and hope DH proves me wrong, but that’s what I took away from watching that interview. 

Imagine a multi millionaire business man and football club owner making decisions based on fans opinions! ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

You may be right but that leads me to return to my question as to what the clear vision is that apparently clinched the job for Dean and why nobody is asking what it is.

Companies that claim to have a vision tend to publish it. Though it must be said it often turns out to be a load of platitudes expressed in corporate speak so perhaps we are better off not knowing.

I agree there, I'd have liked to have heard a bit more detail from DH about what he saw going wrong last season and how he intends to improve it, particularly with what looks like almost the same squad

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

And whatever that "vision" happens to be, if the club published it there are some who would get instantly and irrationally angered by it - which is a bit weird imo.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I thought the questions were piss poor so maybe the bloke asking them was given a script in advance.

SL came over well as he always does. 

Have to agree....I found  the queations to be  insipid and in the main valueless?   Just a PR exercise really?

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You think Jon Lansdown is hopeless because of how he struggles to talk in public?

When Keith Dawe was Chairman he said it was not his job to communicate with fans. He was right to the extent that it's a non -executive role and it's the Executives who are responsible for the communication.

Perhaps JL should stay in the background and stick to Twitter? If he wants to be in the foreground though he needs to improve his communication skills.

Archived