IGNORED

Steve speaks

Simon bristol

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You may be right but that leads me to return to my question as to what the clear vision is that apparently clinched the job for Dean and why nobody is asking what it is.

Companies that claim to have a vision tend to publish it. Though it must be said it often turns out to be a load of platitudes expressed in corporate speak so perhaps we are better off not knowing.

It’s 2020 vision . 
:yes:

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Have to agree....I found  the queations to be  insipid and in the main valueless?   Waste of time really?

It would make perfect sense for SL to have been given notice of the questions in advance so that he could frame his answers in a cogent manner. I thought it was professional and informative.  Of course there are those who will never see the sense in his answers because he is someone who knows the facts behind the decisions and has not been motivated by the fictions believed by some on here. I think his facts trump the feelings of those who only grumble and see fault.

6 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It would make perfect sense for SL to have been given notice of the questions in advance so that he could frame his answers in a cogent manner. I thought it was professional and informative.  Of course there are those who will never see the sense in his answers because he is someone who knows the facts behind the decisions and has not been motivated by the fictions believed by some on here. I think his facts trump the feelings of those who only grumble and see fault.

Good on Steve for coming on and going through the motions, I have no truck with SL, I think he is a good bloke, and the clubs saviour in many ways.  If he didn't come on, fans would moan that there is a lack of communication, a fact that he did allude to.  However it is basically a  PR exercise, from which I learnt more or less nothing........hence my comment on it being insipid, which it was IMHO.

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Just finished watching this on the clubs facebook channel,, very honest as ever, at least dean wasnt described as human!

Me too. SL was clear and unwavering throughout, he absolutely knows what he wants to achieve, has a clear sense of how to do it and even if it isn’t always aligned with what/how fans think, I for one am delighted we have SL at the helm. 

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

Good on Steve for coming on and going through the motions, I have no truck with SL, I think he is a good bloke, and the clubs saviour in many ways.  If he didn't come on, fans would moan that there is a lack of communication, a fact that he did allude to.  However it is basically a  PR exercise, from which I learnt more or less nothing........hence my comment on it being insipid, which it was IMHO.

I believe that his answers confirmed what many thought and what was pretty obvious from what has transpired.  It would have been surprising if he had announced some earth shattering new information.  Our club is in very safe and responsible hands.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

It should be perfectly possible to put those facts in the public domain without breaching confidentiality. We are not talking about a listed company that has to consider market sensitivity after all.

You can talk about the relevant factors like fit with the club's strategy and legitimate financial considerations without risking anything. You will never satisfy everybody but a degree of transparency can go a long way.

For many the issue is not the final decision but the quality of the communication.

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Have to agree....I found  the queations to be  insipid and in the main valueless?   Just a PR exercise really?

Of course it was....hosted by the club, it was never gonna be anything else.  I’m not sure why people were expecting it to be a Twentyman type interview (like he did with MA).

8 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

It was professional.  Again nothing unexpected by that.  There wasn’t any “new news” though was there?

It was “nice”, twee.

More important will be when they announce the season card offering.  

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well this thread has just shown that some fans really will try and find anything to moan about.

Chairman clearly has a stutter or some kind of speech disorder and some fans quite amazingly have a problem with that.

Unbelievable ?

In those circumstances he should not be put in that position. It is not, as I say, his job.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well this thread has just shown that some fans really will try and find anything to moan about.

Chairman clearly has a stutter or some kind of speech disorder and some fans quite amazingly have a problem with that.

Unbelievable ?

Does He?  Can’t say I’ve noticed anything.  Has anyone suggested that on here?  I haven’t read every post in depth.

I just think he lacks confidence in speaking on football matters.  He’s a fan at heart, and Chairman by birthright.  That’s not a criticism, it’s his route into the position he holds.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It should be perfectly possible to put those facts in the public domain without breaching confidentiality. We are not talking about a listed company that has to consider market sensitivity after all.

You can talk about the relevant factors like fit with the club's strategy and legitimate financial considerations without risking anything. You will never satisfy everybody but a degree of transparency can go a long way.

For many the issue is not the final decision but the quality of the communication.

The conversations with candidates would have to be confidential for very obvious reasons. The club acted in a reasonable, measured and responsible fashion.  Some on here are not reasonable, measured and responsible - hence the vitriol.

I think we are extremely fortunate to have an owner in Steve Lansdown.

That said the majority of fans are sceptical that we have missed a real opportunity to make a real impact. Being sceptical also means being less tolerant when things go awry.

He was never going to come out and say we bulked at how much an experienced head coach would cost so we took the inexperienced option and hope for the best.

It's a real dilemma for fans. Here is a bloke in Deano who comes across as being a really nice bloke but who could be out of his depth very quickly.

The difference between Deano and Lee Johnson is that despite MA and the board making the decisions collectively with the head coach, when something went wrong it was Lee Johnson who got the flak. If and when it goes wrong this time I think fans will start to question MA.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I turned it off at “I went on talksport, I said what I said and I believe we’ve got it.” 

I think we’re very lucky to have SL, but that’s utter horse shit. This is an extreme gamble and not at all what he described we were looking for. I need to hear no further. He’s defending the indefensible. 

I watched the whole thing but agree with your sentiment.

I actually thought the guy who was asking the questions (presumably that is Dave Barton?) did a decent job, clearly he is no Geoff Twentyman, but he did at least ask him some fairly tough questions.

I am also very grateful for SL’s investment but cannot follow his logic here at all & this stuff about Simpson & Dowling “having promotion experience & PL experience” is certainly stretching a point at best, as their only experience of promotion as a manager between them is at L2 level and one of them playing in the The Prem in its’ first few years really isn’t relevant here at all.

21 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Ok Steve,

I'll listen out for more of your bullshit on talkshite

Just now, Davefevs said:

Does He?  Can’t say I’ve noticed anything.  Has anyone suggested that on here?  I haven’t read every post in depth.

I just think he lacks confidence in speaking on football matters.  He’s a fan at heart, and Chairman by birthright.  That’s not a criticism, it’s his route into the position he holds.

It may be down to confidence but it has been suggested on here not so long ago (can't remember who) that its some sort of voice disorder - can't remember the condition. 

Anyway, confidence or condition, it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with - thats just pathetic.

15 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The conversations with candidates would have to be confidential for very obvious reasons. The club acted in a reasonable, measured and responsible fashion.  Some on here are not reasonable, measured and responsible - hence the vitriol.

I thought I made the confidentiality point clear. I did not suggest we reveal the contents of any conversations, I suggested it is perfectly possible to talk about the factors involved in the recruitment process and mentioned a couple of examples.

Seems reasonable and measured to me.

Loaded questions, script provided prior to Interview, but that's the norm nowadays. Dont judge him badly for that.

He's not going to walk into a minefield and add more pressure to the DH appointment

Its simple, if we get top six, or at least improve on last year, we'd have to agree it was a good gamble...

If we don't, then clearly this is another flawed appointment from within. 

Let's get behind DH and give him every chance of success.

I for one, don't want SL to be wrong. Id happily say I was an idiot throwing my toys out.

Aside from the fatigue comment, I've liked the vibe from DH and the set up in general.

Time will tell, but I'm expecting us to get off to a flyer with wins against Exeter and Cov

26 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

It may be down to confidence but it has been suggested on here not so long ago (can't remember who) that its some sort of voice disorder - can't remember the condition. 

Anyway, confidence or condition, it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat him with - thats just pathetic.

Never heard that.

Agree though.

37 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Loaded questions, script provided prior to Interview, but that's the norm nowadays. Dont judge him badly for that.

He's not going to walk into a minefield and add more pressure to the DH appointment

Its simple, if we get top six, or at least improve on last year, we'd have to agree it was a good gamble...

If we don't, then clearly this is another flawed appointment from within. 

Let's get behind DH and give him every chance of success.

I for one, don't want SL to be wrong. Id happily say I was an idiot throwing my toys out.

Aside from the fatigue comment, I've liked the vibe from DH and the set up in general.

Time will tell, but I'm expecting us to get off to a flyer with wins against Exeter and Cov

It’ll certainly be very interesting on here if there’s anything less than two wins in the first two games.  Couldn’t ask for a kinder two fixtures really.  

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Why would we offer an unproven manager a 3-4 year contract? Would be a weird business decision. Bear in mind that just because they think this team is the best way for the club to go doesnt mean it will be a definite success.

Why would we offer an unproven manager a job? 

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Imagine a multi millionaire business man and football club owner making decisions based on fans opinions! ?‍♂️

While you talk of imagination, imagine any businessman ignoring the views of the majority of their customers and expecting to remain successful. The chances are they would lose custom.

The difference is fans are not like customers in any other business, our support is lifelong and he therefore takes it for granted. 

Furthermore, imagine any ageing person who might not be of the same sound mind they once were but who believes they still are and is surrounded by nobody scrutinising their decisions.

1 minute ago, tin said:

While you talk of imagination, imagine any businessman ignoring the views of the majority of their customers and expecting to remain successful. The chances are they would lose custom.

The difference is fans are not like customers in any other business, our support is lifelong and he therefore takes it for granted. 

Furthermore, imagine any ageing person who may not be of the same sound mind as he was once but who believes he still is.

OH, we're suggesting he's not of sound mind now? ?

As you said, customers aren't like any other business and this forum represents a very small percentage of the fan base. There will be initial outrage (as we witnessed) but there would have been the loud miniority who would have opposed any appointment. The vast majority of fans will still support the club and trust the decisions made.

I expect football fans are wrong way more often than they are right when it comes to what players they want to sign, or their starting lineups, or their preferred manager.

He said nothing we didn’t already know. Yes, we are all very grateful for the money SL has ploughed into the club, and he went to great length in telling us what he has done and paid for. But, he wants Premier league football, and surely I would have thought he would employ a manager who has a better chance of getting what he wants.

He stated that we don’t need a manager that has managed in the prem, because we aren’t in the prem, strange logic in my mind, surely if you can potentially hire a manager who has managed at a higher level, it would seem logical to hire that person.

Managers that have done it at a higher level naturally know more than managers who haven’t. I’ve got nothing at all against DH, and hope he is successful, but I just don’t understand SL’s thought process. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I've never noticed a speech issue. Wouldn't bother me if he did have one. Doesn't really matter.

Communication has been the biggest failing from the club. Not the tonality or delivery 

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

OH, we're suggesting he's not of sound mind now? ?

As you said, customers aren't like any other business and this forum represents a very small percentage of the fan base. There will be initial outrage (as we witnessed) but there would have been the loud miniority who would have opposed any appointment. The vast majority of fans will still support the club and trust the decisions made.

I expect football fans are wrong way more often than they are right when it comes to what players they want to sign, or their starting lineups, or their preferred manager.

One is not dependent on the other.  Support is very rarely dependent upon who the ownership of a club is. Doesn’t mean you have to trust their decisions though.  You just have to accept them as you have no other choice. 

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

He said nothing we didn’t already know. Yes, we are all very grateful for the money SL has ploughed into the club, and he went to great length in telling us what he has done and paid for. But, he wants Premier league football, and surely I would have thought he would employ a manager who has a better chance of getting what he wants.

He stated that we don’t need a manager that has managed in the prem, because we aren’t in the prem, strange logic in my mind, surely if you can potentially hire a manager who has managed at a higher level, it would seem logical to hire that person.

Managers that have done it at a higher level naturally know more than managers who haven’t. I’ve got nothing at all against DH, and hope he is successful, but I just don’t understand SL’s thought process. 

I can accept that you need to appoint the right man not necessarily the most famous one but by Steve's logic we should not even have interviewed Hughton because we are not in the PL.

Just watched it and still none the wiser as to why Holden was the best candidate for the job. Same as usual it's just "trust us, we know what we're doing". 

Well unfortunately after 20 years of significant investment and imo significant underachievement based on that level of investment, I have little faith that the right appointment has been made, or that it was made for the right reasons. 

It's baffling that he continues to talk up the Academy as being a route to success when he won't invest in it to become Cat 1 and we have seen such little evidence of any Academy players (apart from Kelly) being promoted to the first team since Reid and Bryan departed. 

We are miles away from the Academy contributing significantly to the first team at the moment. He used the Bears as an example and said they have the same structure as the FC. Well Bristol had 12 Academy products in their squad on Saturday! If we have the same structure then why is half their squad made up of Academy lads and we rarely name more than one Academy player in our matchday squad? I appreciate it's a different sport but Bristol are managing to do this at an elite level, too. 

It was also interesting that he revealed he was told by Danny Wilson, what must have been a minimum of 15 years ago, to invest in the training ground. Why has this taken so long to deliver, if as Steve says, it's such a vitally important facility to have? Very strange. 

Finally, he mentioned that City have always done things the right way and take their time in the interviewing process. Well, apart from the times you haven't done that, Steve. Most recently about six years ago when you appointed SOD within 24 hours of sacking McInnes.  No interview process for Millen's appointment either, or Cotterill i think. Seemed like he was trying to rewrite history a bit to fit the current agenda. 

Overall, not a lot to be positive about, training ground aside. 

With SL, JL and MA making what seems to be pretty much every footballing decision at the club, it will be more luck than judgement if we do stumble on a winning formula that gets us to the Promised Land. 

Archived