IGNORED

Steve speaks

Simon bristol

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair point....that’s a bit different though....yes, expect criticism.  It’s the LJ stuff re Magnússon, Moore, even Wells.  I disagreed with what he said about O’Dowda (injury / contract) also.  LJ was too free in deflecting away from him.

LJs handling of Moore and Magnússon was despicable imo - one mistake and scapegoated, dropped, and after another one or two mistakes, out of the club. All the while putting up with under par performances riddled with mistakes from others. That was just plain wrong and intimated to me that his man management was lacking in certain areas. 

You don't chuck players, and very decent ones at that, under the bus.

I sincerely hope that DH took note of that and won't go down the same path.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fair point....that’s a bit different though....yes, expect criticism.  It’s the LJ stuff re Magnússon, Moore, even Wells.  I disagreed with what he said about O’Dowda (injury / contract) also.  LJ was too free in deflecting away from him.

Magnússon was a quality player for me, Something along with his injury ruined his confindence,I remember a tweet when he was left back in Bristol on his birthday and city had an away game from there he wasn't the same player. Doing well in Russia and recently into his life a new born.

4 minutes ago, Street red said:

Magnússon was a quality player for me, Something along with his injury ruined his confindence,I remember a tweet when he was left back in Bristol on his birthday and city had an away game from there he wasn't the same player. Doing well in Russia and recently into his life a new born.

He was a decent player for us and also a decent bloke and good professional as well, same as Moore. He didn't deserve the treatment he got from LJ which some might say amounted to bullying. You look at how Moore and Magnússon was treated and then look at, for example, his reliance on under performing players such as O'Dowda getting regular games, and his defence of Bentley after a string of mistakes, and its difficult to comprehend his attitude towards Magnússon and Moore. Glad to hear Maggs is doing well in Russia.

I supported LJ while he was here but he had his failings and man management appeared to be a failing.

I cannot see DH being that sort - reminds me of a sergeant major type, straight, hard, but fair, where players know where they are with him and I can see them liking him for it and wanting to put a shift in for him. I hope he is successful.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

As you say, this pure speculation on your part, and therefore has no basis whatsoever in fact.  

I’m just filling in the gaps from bits I’ve seen for myself and other things I’ve been told by people who know a lot more than I do. None of us know exactly what really goes on so what I’ve surmised there is what I believe to be the case from what I’ve seen and heard. If you choose to believe otherwise that’s for you to decide. 

19 hours ago, red panda said:

We were a club yo-yoing between the bottom half of the Championship (if we were lucky) and League 1.  We are now credible play-off contenders, with the infrastructure to match, and hopefully still improving.  I don't call that failure.  If you're not a critic of SL, I'd hate to see someone who is.

Credible play off contenders?? When was this. 

Steve's interviews are getting better each time and he seems to have a clearer idea of what he wants to do and how he wants to do it than ever before. It tickles me that he still seems to get rattled by what a minority of fans say about him. As for the interviewer: seems like a good bloke but I still miss Adam Baker.

10 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think that’s you’re problem.  You admit that you prejudge what he says (‘my initial reaction is that he’s full of bullshit’) so you’re simply not listening to what he is saying.  Luckily for the club, it doesn’t matter too much if some fans are simply not listening and therefore don’t get it.  The important thing is that the club are trying to do the right thing.  

It maybe my problem, but it's becoming a wider problem as many many feel the same, I have listened to what he has said, and we have been here and heard it all before. 

Unfortunately his actions have built up that pre judgement. 

4 hours ago, collier said:

However the point actually made was about the performance of the academy. Having 1 academy graduate who played in the 18's on trial and after signing on the bench is not an indicator of a highly performing academy. Lrrr does that help you understand the point Cowshed was trying to make here??

I understand the point but saying he didn't play for the academy is wrong, Antoine couldn't have signed anything other than a pro deal for us as a scholarship (the usual terms of u18's football) has to be 2 years and no less so the options were either offer Antoine a pro deal and he still played u18's football or you wait until the end of the year to sign him on and gamble SGS don't tell anyone else about him and he signs elsewhere as we couldn't keep him on a trial for several months. So the idea of him being awarded a pro contract and that only meaning why he's not an academy graduate isn't exactly true.

4 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Lrr academy ends at 16.

No it doesn't..... 'technically' u23's is still academy football even on pro deals but I can understand people thinking 23's is pushing it, but u18's is academy as they haven't yet signed a pro deal and still covered by EPPP.

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

No it doesn't..... 'technically' u23's is still academy football even on pro deals but I can understand people thinking 23's is pushing it, but u18's is academy as they haven't yet signed a pro deal and still covered by EPPP.

Academy football is 9-16. The players are on schoolboy contracts. Antoine Semenyo was not at BCFC during this period.

Post 16 payers players may receive a pro contract or become scholars and go onto education programmes external to the academy. Antoine Semenyo was not a scholar.

U18 is the professional development stage of the EPPP. Antoine Semenyo joined at this point. 

Just now, Cowshed said:

Academy football is 9-16. The players are on schoolboy contracts. Antoine Semenyo was not at BCFC during this period.

Post 16 payers players may receive a pro contract or become scholars and go onto education programmes external to the academy. Antoine Semenyo was not a scholar.

U18 is the professional development stage of the EPPP. Antoine Semenyo joined at this point. 

Their scholarship will be paid for the academy as opposed to the 1st team though, education programmes aren't external (perhaps some are), they're on site taught by people employed by clubs. As said Antoine was not a scholar because a scholarship HAS to be 2 years, he was joining in what would have been the second year of a scholarship and therefore had to sign a pro deal to fit with his age, a scholarship wasn't an option.

3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He was a decent player for us and also a decent bloke and good professional as well, same as Moore. He didn't deserve the treatment he got from LJ which some might say amounted to bullying. You look at how Moore and Magnússon was treated and then look at, for example, his reliance on under performing players such as O'Dowda getting regular games, and his defence of Bentley after a string of mistakes, and its difficult to comprehend his attitude towards Magnússon and Moore. Glad to hear Maggs is doing well in Russia.

I supported LJ while he was here but he had his failings and man management appeared to be a failing.

I cannot see DH being that sort - reminds me of a sergeant major type, straight, hard, but fair, where players know where they are with him and I can see them liking him for it and wanting to put a shift in for him. I hope he is successful.

Thing is if Johnson wants to be successful his man management has to improve especially to a quality calibre of player, Magnússon I agree is a decent bloke going from his Instagram posts hes happy and playing regularly.

I hope Holden does become successful at city but I'm still not happy by the way city have gone with a inexperienced option but my frustration won't be aimed at Holden if it goes wrong.. Let's hope the players enjoy playing for him and produce some good performances and more consistently.

Just listened to that interview. Two stand outs for me.

1. "Been there done that, got the t shirt"... Sounded like he was done appointing well known more expensive managers. That seemed to be the implication.

2. He reeled off half a dozen Bristol Rugby players coming through the academy. But in the 30 minutes did not mention one City player.

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

2. He reeled off half a dozen Bristol Rugby players coming through the academy. But in the 30 minutes did not mention one City player.

That’s because, as is blindingly obvious to everybody, he’s only interested in the Rugby. When will you lot listen. . . 

Just now, CyderInACan said:

That’s because, as is blindingly obvious to everybody, he’s only interested in the Rugby. When will you lot listen. . . 

Now now don't get your knickers in a twist. I was merely pointing out two facts and not submitting to the treasonous act of criticism of our owner.

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Says who?  You?  If you think that everything that comes out of the club is bullshit, then I would suggest you go and support a club which you think is honest and cares about its fans more than City does.  I’d be interested in who that is, but I think you’d have to delve down the divisions.  I may not agree all the time with what my club does, but I understand what Lansdown is saying and if anyone has the right to determine which way City goes, its him.

I believe SL is indeed full of bullshit..

A Grade 'A bullshitter par excellence.

Who are you to suggest 'jogging on' to someone of many decades of support feeling this way??

Are you the Duke of Edinburgh???

4 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Think SL talks well. As he said: six weeks its not a long time, thinking of our manager. Got the feeling that Holden is the right one and the two other new guys. As I understod it SL was not talking bullshit.

When he sacked Cotterill, it took him three weeks to name Johnson as our new manager. Exactly the same amount of time that  Birmingham City ‘rushed’ into naming their new man! 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think it’s pretty clear from Holden’s first interview that he felt JM sided with LJ too much.  If he felt 352 was a JM choice, why would he carry this into preseason and also request the u23s and u18s play that shape (predominantly) too?  Why wouldn’t he keep JM if that was the case.

Bold Comment 1 - It’s a strap line of a strategy....it’s underpinned by detail, covering many facets, financial performance being one of them (an important one)

Bold Comment 2 - Re recruitment, nor do I, my main issue has been....

Bold Comment 3 - this ??????

Jamie was good friends with Lee. However Dean sought his opinion on shape and players and then went along with it. JM departure was not wholly Deans choice. Dean is a yes man. Perfect for MA and JL. Let’s hope his new assistants have some good ideas because you won’t get too many from Dean.

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I have not worked out how to add coloured responses, but I congratulate you on your business success - maybe you will be able to buy out the Lansdown family one day.  I should mention that we have NEVER had a say in running the club and that the decisions have always been made by owners and their employees. Although virtually all clubs are supported by the largesse of wealthy owners, you must recognise that from time to time the deep pockets are simply not quite deep enough and the clubs get into huge financial problems - as we have seen in our time as supporters. City have not been immune to these financial horrors.  You may even concede that City have been very stable under SL and that we have aspirations to win promotion rather than to simply stay up.  My point is that things are pretty good right now and may well get even better. If we look at the difficulties being experienced by some clubs at present, you might even agree that we are better off than most.

1. Depends on how you define "pretty good", compared to our nieghbours across town yes pretty good, compared to Wolves, who we were right behind at the top of this div a few seasons ago and who are now challenging the top six in the prem....not good at all really just going no-where at all....or "stable" as you say
  2.  It may also not get "even better" in fact may get even worse with SL`s latest choice of  inexp manager now leading our assault on the top six....you do remember the "trust me on Tinnion" statement dont you?
  3. I`m happy that you are happy with what we have, a shrewd investor who calls all the shots, unchallenged, and someone who will look after those investments and keeps everything.....safe.

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:
  1. Depends on how you define "pretty good", compared to our nieghbours accross town yes pretty good, compared to Wolves who we were right behind at the top of this div a few seasons ago and who are now challanging the top six in the prem....not good at all really just going no-where at all....or "stable" as you say
  2.  It may also not get "even better" in fact may get even worse with SL`s latest choice of  inexp manager now leading our assault on the top six....you do remember the "trust me on Tinnion" statement dont you?
  3. I`m happy you are happy with what we have, a shrewd investor who calls all the shots, unchallenged, and someone who will look after those investments and keeps everything.....safe.

We were a long way behind Wolves when they went up a few years ago. Their ground and support are pretty good and ours has improved.  The income that will flow into the club as a result of the infrastructure will be valuable for many years to come. I expect that Wigan and Bolton fans might think that boring and safe finances are something to be valued. Most people spend the whole of their lives struggling to end up with safe, boring and predictable finances. It will be a luxury compared to many of our competitors.  I will happily support City even if we do not go up and my support is not conditional upon a choice of manager, player, board member or promotion. It flows a little deeper than that.

19 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We were a long way behind Wolves when they went up a few years ago. Their ground and support are pretty good and ours has improved.  The income that will flow into the club as a result of the infrastructure will be valuable for many years to come. I expect that Wigan and Bolton fans might think that boring and safe finances are something to be valued. Most people spend the whole of their lives struggling to end up with safe, boring and predictable finances. It will be a luxury compared to many of our competitors.  I will happily support City even if we do not go up and my support is not conditional upon a choice of manager, player, board member or promotion. It flows a little deeper than that.

Wigan are traditionally a very small club, the very definition of a minnow in an ocean of huge clubs in The North of England, who have only been in the Football League for circa 40 years. Give me the journey they have had over the last 15/20 years; (FA Cup winners, semi finalists, Premier League for years) against our underachievement over the same period.  One hell of a journey they’ve had.  Same as Bolton to a lesser extent - had some great seasons under Allardyce in the top flight. Football isn’t all about finances and the bottom line - it’s about memories and experiences. The fans of those clubs will have had some fantastic times. Hell,  Wigan even beat Man City a couple of seasons ago in the 5th round of the  cup when they were a League 1 team, something equivalent to a night that we deem to be a massive highlight (us beating Utd). Give me their experiences and memories over ours any day (cue ‘go and support them then’ replies no doubt).

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Wigan are traditionally a very small club, the very definition of a minnow in an ocean of huge clubs in The North of England, who have only been in the Football League for circa 40 years. Give me the journey they have had over the last 15/20 years; (FA Cup winners, semi finalists, Premier League for years) against our underachievement over the same period.  One hell of a journey they’ve had.  Same as Bolton to a lesser extent - had some great seasons under Allardyce in the top flight. Football isn’t all about finances and the bottom line - it’s about memories and experiences. The fans of those clubs will have had some fantastic times. Hell,  Wigan even beat Man City a couple of seasons ago in the 5th round of the  cup when they were a League 1 team, something equivalent to a night that we deem to be a massive highlight (us beating Utd). Give me their experiences and memories over ours any day (cue ‘go and support them then’ replies no doubt).

So would you change places with those clubs now?  Who do you think is most likely to have a good future - us or them?

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

So would you change places with those clubs now?  Who do you think is most likely to have a good future - us or them?

I would swap the actual experiences and memories that the fans of those clubs have had over the last 15 / 20 years against a continuous failure to live up to expectations. And no doubt supporting them now through their tougher times will be a lot of fun for a lot of their fans as well in some ways. I’m not old enough but many on here whose opinions I respect talk a lot about their best days supporting City  being when we were rock bottom and had our backs against the walls which forged a sense of unity within the club, something we haven’t had for years.  So overall yes I would.  

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

I would swap the actual experiences and memories that the fans of those clubs have had over the last 15 / 20 years against a continuous failure to live up to expectations. And no doubt supporting them now through their tougher times will be a lot of fun for a lot of their fans as well in some ways. I’m not old enough but many on here whose opinions I respect talk a lot about their best days supporting City  being when we were rock bottom and had our backs against the walls which forged a sense of unity within the club, something we haven’t had for years.  So overall yes I would.  

Well if you think that having to sell all your players and your training ground is a good foundation for the future I admire your optimism.  Of course it was wonderful to be a supporter many years ago. Standing in the East End and singing your heart out and being able to take your feet off the ground in the crush to get out at the end.  Sadly, all seater stadia and the gentrification of football have changed all that.  It is still enjoyable but in a different way and seen through older eyes.  I can see that our current owner has a plan and it is impressive seeing it all come together. The changes to the club have been profound and will secure our future in a way that would have been unthinkable a few years ago.  We are in contention for eventual promotion to the premier league whilst Bolton and Wigan are struggling to give their fans any football at all. These will not be the only clubs that struggle in the current circumstances, so you may have a big choice of once mighty teams if you ever decide to change your football club.  Some may even end up outside the league - now wouldn't that be exciting!!

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

Well if you think that having to sell all your players and your training ground is a good foundation for the future I admire your optimism.  Of course it was wonderful to be a supporter many years ago. Standing in the East End and singing your heart out and being able to take your feet off the ground in the crush to get out at the end.  Sadly, all seater stadia and the gentrification of football have changed all that.  It is still enjoyable but in a different way and seen through older eyes.  I can see that our current owner has a plan and it is impressive seeing it all come together. The changes to the club have been profound and will secure our future in a way that would have been unthinkable a few years ago.  We are in contention for eventual promotion to the premier league whilst Bolton and Wigan are struggling to give their fans any football at all. These will not be the only clubs that struggle in the current circumstances, so you may have a big choice of once mighty teams if you ever decide to change your football club.  Some may even end up outside the league - now wouldn't that be exciting!!

Can’t help yourself can you. Very very sad.  

8 minutes ago, lenred said:

Can’t help yourself can you. Very very sad.  

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I would swap the actual experiences and memories that the fans of those clubs have had over the last 15 / 20 years against a continuous failure to live up to expectations. And no doubt supporting them now through their tougher times will be a lot of fun for a lot of their fans as well in some ways.

The quote above is from you, please excuse my computer skills - or lack thereof.  I am the one who would not swap. Please try to be consistent.

Archived