IGNORED

Steve speaks

Simon bristol

11 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

They need to in a way even if it’s a perception thing, around them they have wolves, villa and wba all cat 1 so unless they’re finding players the other 3 clubs aren’t looking at they’re going to be a second thought. In the south west we’re the biggest club and until you reach Cardiff we have the biggest academy, our reach for players in that respect isn’t challenged

20 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

They need to in a way even if it’s a perception thing, around them they have wolves, villa and wba all cat 1 so unless they’re finding players the other 3 clubs aren’t looking at they’re going to be a second thought. In the south west we’re the biggest club and until you reach Cardiff we have the biggest academy, our reach for players in that respect isn’t challenged

My understanding is that it is very much challenged by the likes of Southampton. 

Just now, lenred said:

My understanding is that it is very much challenged by the likes of Southampton. 

Influence declining there, the fact that kids can 'sign' for Southampton, the reality is they can only play for Southampton's academy if they live less than 90 min journey away from Southampton so the kids are stuck not be able to play academy football despite 'signing on' unless their family moves closer.

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

BCFC may be the biggest club but it is debatable that Bristol City have the largest academy and it is not challenged. 

• Southampton run a development centre in Bath which is attached to its academy. Players from Bristol can join their academy via this centre - It would be pointless to coach players from Bristol if they did not.
  • Exeter City run development centres around the South West and have a larger coaching base and coach more kids than BCFC do.
  • Cardiff and Swansea link into independent development centres in Bristol and run/have run their own.
  • Players from Bristol are going to Cardiff, Southampton, Swansea and recently in particular significantly Cheltenham and FGR.

Bristol City have become narrow in outlook. Prescience across the South West is very shallow. Bristol City's youth development model across early ages and associated coaching of age related priorities? Questionable other clubs clearly have more contact with potential talent and build relationships and networks BCFC logically cannot.

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Lrrr 

However, if youth is a genuine strategy and theoretically Cat1 will produce more and / or better players (I could be talking out of my arse) then those costs can be excluded from FFP.  That adds a different dimension to just extra cost.  It could be a trade-off....you can have £3m a year on Academy, but you’ve got to stick within £10m losses (instead of £13m).

Just throwing out the idea.

It might show more than lip-service to “youth”.  I dunno?

Are you suggesting that Damien Spencer could have been the next Ronaldo if we were Cat 1 and that Ryan McGivern was an art student on an episode of C4s 'faking it'?

It would explain a lot.

Reality is, our academy is an attractive proposition, especially for those parents who can't afford to send their kids to boarding school and have worked out that loans over a minimum of 4 years to exotic places such as Plymouth is a much cheaper option.

On 31/08/2020 at 08:09, Bat Fastard said:

I have to be humble and admit that my shortcomings are many.  Over the years I have found that the most critical people in life are those who tend to be a lot less enterprising than more optimistic types.  If people only ever see negatives, it is hard to get motivated to try to do something positive. If you would like a philosophical debate, I am happy to accommodate you. I love all that and did my degree in single subject Philosophy.

You are indeed correct. Your shortcomings are many.

Archived