IGNORED

Steve speaks

Simon bristol

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I was scribbling this as your post came up saying very similar;

A little while ago, when the appointment process was in its final stages, Gregor tweeted that DH had a powerful ally backing him. No prizes now for guessing who that was. 

SLs interview reiterated his 100% commitment to the current way of working and, because of that, it probably became obvious during the appointment process that it precluded most candidates for the job and left DH in pole position. 

I don't know if JL and MA tried to make concessions to try to fit in another candidate but it wouldn't surprise me given the length of the process. But if no concessions were to be made by SL then there was only one choice. 

Best of luck to Dean Holden and I hope that SL has made the right choice this time, I'm sure DH will rightly get the supporters backing.

You are probably right with all this, and like you now the dust has settled I will get behind DH. He seems like a thoroughly decent bloke whose heart is in the right place and I sincerely hope it works.

I do still have misgivings about this whole thing though, and as I said when DH was appointed we will only reach the Premier League if the stars align and we have a great deal of fortune along the way. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Another good post 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

I think a lot of the response you gave expand well on what I said. We actively need people who have the ability to ask questions to get explanations for us to understand what we're looking at better.

What does Dean Holden value in a CM player? Well we signed Williams, but why? I mean WE both think he's a good champ player if i remember previous comments, but why does Dean? I want more info. What's his role in the team and squad going to be? LJ was actually quite open with that, since we learned about how things like analytics related to our players.  In many ways his openness led to us understanding  he was spouting BS sometimes. SL communicating led to the collective  dislike of the Holden appointment. Dangerous game is speaking up!

I agree with the idea Holden won't BS us as he hasn't so far. So let's ask better questions of him! I think if he WANTS people to be more positive to him, he needs to be quite open and honest rather than closed and honest. People usually have better to responses if they can understand a logical reason even if they disagree. Mindlessly backing the players is AS bad as throwing them under the bus all the time for me. Both are dishonest. I know some people like the "always back the players, deal with things in private" approach, but as a fan of the club I don't want a dishonest manager. I don't need gory details but I would like communication of plan and action. Depends on how much he values having the fans on side. Hope he can do that before the stadiums are open, so people a) want to go b) want to go support the team rather than hate on the team!

Perhaps now you're the lead sports writer at the BP you can use your incredible power and influence to get the answers we need!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IAmNick said:

We need this continued huge investment in our infrastructure and at least £10-15m plus per summer on the team to stay competitive with teams like Millwall and Preston.

It's just impossible otherwise. The plan is working!

The infrastructure will be there for many decades to come and may even be further improved. The aim of this is to bring more cash into the club so that it can eventually be self sustaining. SL realises this and knows that he will not be around forever. He will leave a very well founded and funded club behind him.  We will still be at a disadvantage against parachute payment recipients, but SL has given us the very best chance of competing for promotion and if we keep knocking at the door, eventually our time will come. Clubs like Wigan and Bolton have undergone financial meltdowns and more will probably follow. In these difficult times we should count ourselves lucky that City are secure and in good hands who have a plan to make us even more secure in years to come.  Maybe a bit of gratitude and respect is on order?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Prinny should probably add that when I say “back the players” I probably mean “don’t call out individuals”...it can be collective criticism, that’s perfectly fine.

And when Ashley Williams forearms someone in the face? What do you want to see and hear?

For me it's certainly not rumours signing him back!

4 hours ago, Redland said:

I agree with the first paragraph of your post 100%. The point is very well-made.

With regard to the second paragraph  I don’t think there would’ve been a problem if the club had appointed Holden at the outset. The criticism surrounding his appointment arises from the fact that we were told we needed a “breath of fresh air” and someone who could “take us to the next level”. The five week selection process during which quality candidates, including Chris Hughton, were interviewed only served to increase expectations.  The subsequent appointment of Holden who was part of the previous failed regime and who has no managerial experience understandably came as a great disappointment to many fans, including myself, who had believed the comments SL made on Talksport.

As for your comment that you are willing to bet that those criticising are not highly successful individuals then obviously I cannot speak for others but so far as I am concerned you would have lost your bet.

The expectations of the fans should have been informed by the fact that MA had said that there would be a thorough process to get the right person. Many on here automatically assumed that this would be a Hughton or Cook and were disappointed that it ended up being Dean Holden.  Now either you think that there was not a thorough process, or you must come to the conclusion that we have the best person for the job. Of course we are not able to judge this without knowing the detailed job specification and if the people being interviewed could subscribe to the game plan.  I have faith that the board would have tried to find the best solution for the club and not tried to pick a complete dud. They have seen Dean working for four years, so maybe they know a bit more about his abilities than the "experts" on this forum.

Congratulations on not being a failure in life and I wish you the best of fortune, but you elegantly make my point because you are not one of the more rabid and rude critics on this forum. 

16 hours ago, lenred said:

It’ll certainly be very interesting on here if there’s anything less than two wins in the first two games.  Couldn’t ask for a kinder two fixtures really.  

I’m not so sure, Coventry may just make up for potential lack of Championship quality with enthusiasm and carry over their winning habit from the lower league.

I would prefer to play them after they’ve run out of steam a bit and start to stress out.

It is like the plucky underdogs in the cup they will give it their all in this game and we will need to be at our best to take the sting out of play. 

13 hours ago, lenred said:

You really do talk a load of nonsense don’t you. What on Earth has someone’s personal circumstance and ‘success’ got to do with their ability, as a supporter of City, to discuss the tenure of SL and it’s ‘success’ or otherwise. Id suggest your wanton slagging of anyone that deems it fair game to question SL suggests that you have rather a lot of shortcomings yourself old chum. The ability to debate being one of them.  

I have to be humble and admit that my shortcomings are many.  Over the years I have found that the most critical people in life are those who tend to be a lot less enterprising than more optimistic types.  If people only ever see negatives, it is hard to get motivated to try to do something positive. If you would like a philosophical debate, I am happy to accommodate you. I love all that and did my degree in single subject Philosophy.

6 hours ago, glos old boy said:

A critical pigmies view..... in red

I have not worked out how to add coloured responses, but I congratulate you on your business success - maybe you will be able to buy out the Lansdown family one day.  I should mention that we have NEVER had a say in running the club and that the decisions have always been made by owners and their employees. Although virtually all clubs are supported by the largesse of wealthy owners, you must recognise that from time to time the deep pockets are simply not quite deep enough and the clubs get into huge financial problems - as we have seen in our time as supporters. City have not been immune to these financial horrors.  You may even concede that City have been very stable under SL and that we have aspirations to win promotion rather than to simply stay up.  My point is that things are pretty good right now and may well get even better. If we look at the difficulties being experienced by some clubs at present, you might even agree that we are better off than most.

20 hours ago, collier said:

I don't think he really cares how fans judge him. He has appointed Tinnion, Millen, Johnson got rid of Cotts after providing no backing after promotion etc etc. Why would he suddenly care what we think if this experiment fails too??

Yea mate spot on.

But now some fans are starting to realise they maybe are being mugged off, especially with all the bullshit that is spouted from them. 

14 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Depends on your definition of academy graduate.... he played games for the u18's deal already signed or not, similar to how if you were educated somewhere but transferred somewhere else for your last year of your education, you'd graduate from the place.

Your definition appears to be that a player who was not part of the academy, did not play for the academy is an academy graduate. I will politely disagree. 

However the point actually made was about the performance of the academy. Having no academy graduates in the XI and one player who was not part of the academy, did not play for the academy on the bench is not an indicator of a highly performing academy. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

Your definition appears to be that a player who was not part of the academy, did not play for the academy is an academy graduate. I will politely disagree. 

However the point actually made was about the performance of the academy. Having no academy graduates in the XI and one player who was not part of the academy, did not play for the academy on the bench is not an indicator of a highly performing academy. 

Played in the 18's on trial and after signing, perhaps it was only the last year but still he did

8 minutes ago, Lrrr said:
11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Played in the 18's on trial and after signing, perhaps it was only the last year but still he did

However the point actually made was about the performance of the academy. Having 1 academy graduate who played in the 18's on trial and after signing on the bench is not an indicator of a highly performing academy. Lrrr does that help you understand the point Cowshed was trying to make here??

12 minutes ago, collier said:

However the point actually made was about the performance of the academy. Having 1 academy graduate who played in the 18's on trial and after signing on the bench is not an indicator of a highly performing academy. Lrrr does that help you understand the point Cowshed was trying to make here??

This post is not condescending enough . Must try harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacki said:

Completely agree with this. 

I would also take it a step further, however, in that the under-valued players that we are looking to bring in and develop are not even selected by the Head Coach imo.

My theory is that the HC goes to Ashton and his recruitment department asking for a player in a particular position. Ashton then then goes to the recruitment team and goes back to the HC with a list of options from their database, research etc., with Holden only getting involved at that point. Holden may have the final say out of those options, as Ashton always insists, but I very much doubt he even has much input into the original list of targets. 

The experienced coaches we looked at would want to bring in their own players who they’ve worked with before who won’t necessarily fit the mould. They wouldn’t want to work in the way we operate, and that’s why we’ve ended up with Holden, LJ, Millen, Tinnion etc. over the years.

This is pure speculation on my part, just my theory on how it all works and why we almost always end up getting with an inexperienced HC. They’ll put up with SL and MA calling the shots in a way the Hughtons would not. 

As you say, this pure speculation on your part, and therefore has no basis whatsoever in fact.  

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Yea mate spot on.

But now some fans are starting to realise they maybe are being mugged off, especially with all the bullshit that is spouted from them. 

Says who?  You?  If you think that everything that comes out of the club is bullshit, then I would suggest you go and support a club which you think is honest and cares about its fans more than City does.  I’d be interested in who that is, but I think you’d have to delve down the divisions.  I may not agree all the time with what my club does, but I understand what Lansdown is saying and if anyone has the right to determine which way City goes, its him.