IGNORED

Holden meeting player today

westonred

Bloody hope williams isn’t kept on board. Will only block path for moore/vyner and hinder chance of signing a better young cb.

for me, as fevs said, Clarke-Salter, Carter-Vickers, Adarabioyo or a re-loan for Benkovic who again isn’t getting a look in at Leicester.

4 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Bloody hope williams isn’t kept on board. Will only block path for moore/vyner and hinder chance of signing a better young cb.

for me, as fevs said, Clarke-Salter, Carter-Vickers, Adarabioyo or a re-loan for Benkovic who again isn’t getting a look in at Leicester.

If it is to be CB then I don't think we could do any better than him.

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Am I the only one who is 50/50 about him?

I thought he looked shaky on debut v Brum (sub), and still looked a bit iffy v Derby....but he looked a huge threat in the opposition penalty area.  In that Derby game he sprayed a few passes so looked good on the ball....but as I said iffy defensively.

He got injured at Huddersfield, and came on for Baker v Fulham after 20 minutes, and I thought he started to look up for it, handling Mitrovic well when he wasn’t attached to Kalas.

Post-covid, he didn’t start under LJ, but cane in for final 20 v Cardiff, again looking a threat in the opposition box, should’ve got a header on target, and overhead kick on top of net.  But it was his stuff on the ball that started to impress.

Under DH we saw what he can do, but more importantly defensively (I’d already been sold on his being good enough with the ball).  Very brave, good anticipation, and a bit of a magnet for aerial stuff.  Shame he was injured for Swansea and only got 25 v Preston.

At 23, perfect age to kick on.  But got to be loan with option to buy.  I don’t want to develop him for Leicester at the expense of bringing in a player who could be ours.

I see why you would be 50/50 on him though....I just think he got better.

You would assume it would be a centre back given the system we are playing and with Baker out, Kalas with the internationals we start to look a bit light. 

I would love to bring Benkovic back he's only going to improve (especially if he gets games). I know Celtic were/are interested in him and they do have defensive difficulties. 

I wouldn't mind Jake Clarke-Salter did well at Brum last season is highly rated at Chelsea plus the England connection is there as well. 

Cameron Carter-Vickers is wanted by Luton and spurs want £2.5m for him so we may loan to buy would be happy with him.

Speaking of double barrel surnames to a man with 4 initial MVDH. Mike Van Der Hoorn free agent and u like Ashley Williams would probably be a multi year deal if we approached him.

I have no idea if it is Ashley Williams or not & personally would hope we are looking elsewhere.

But aside from his 2 red cards his availability record last season was excellent & like Pereira, Holden will know exactly what he is getting.

As we get nearer to the start of the season those without clubs (& the numbers are huge) will have to drop their demands.

If we cannot afford/find the right long term CB signing it would make sense, especially with Baker injured.

I see Brentford have just made the kind of Marquee signing which I was hopefully hoping ? that we would make?   But in signing Ivan Toney, I guess he will be a replacement for Watkins, who is off to Villa...so one in, and one out.  So they have made a profit, and recruited a quality striker, seems a great bit of business.    Be interesting to see how Toney gets on

37 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Ashley Williams was quality last season except a few games. Thought he was our best defender. Often sees things before they happen. Is a talker. And can play it out.

But I'd still want Clarke Salter over him. Kalas is best in the middle and that's where Williams likes to play. Williams either side of the middle centre back would worry me.

Clarke Salter being left sided is what we need. Could well be Prem potential, so a loan with agreed fee at the end of the season could be a great deal for us. Suits our plan. Adds value to the squad (if we manage to at some point sign him permanently) and is the style of player we need imo.

Seems to have the ability to dribble out to an advanced position and allow Dasilva to receive a pass higher up the pitch than he would if Baker plays there.

I agree, he was immense for many of our games. A pity that a couple of negative incidents have overpowered this tbh. Would like to see Moore get his chance though, couldn’t believe he was sent out on loan again 

1 minute ago, Lrrr said:

Seem to be fairly strong links in Portugal for Pereira, could be him perhaps

I was just about to say Pedro, if rumours of him coming back are true. 

Didn't we already have a transfer agreed in principle, if both parties were happy..? 

Holden made a comment of "clubs we are dealing with, are waiting to bring someone in before they release their player" or along those lines. 

Cieran Clark at Newcastle interests me, as Rob Holding is being linked to Newcastle. 

Benkovic could be possible as Leicester are reportedly close to signing Fofanna who is a CB from St Ettiene. 

Just a couple of examples of possible loan to buys. 

11 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I see Brentford have just made the kind of Marquee signing which I was hopefully hoping ? that we would make?   But in signing Ivan Toney, I guess he will be a replacement for Watkins, who is off to Villa...so one in, and one out.  So they have made a profit, and recruited a quality striker, seems a great bit of business.    Be interesting to see how Toney gets on

That's 1 of the top 6 places gone then, still 5 left though (I'm good at maths:laugh:)

23 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Holden made a comment of "clubs we are dealing with, are waiting to bring someone in before they release their player" or along those lines. 

Cieran Clark at Newcastle interests me, as Rob Holding is being linked to Newcastle. 

Benkovic could be possible as Leicester are reportedly close to signing Fofanna who is a CB from St Ettiene. 

Just a couple of examples of possible loan to buys. 

Agree but wages would be huge, unless the owning club picked up a fair bit of the tab.

Thought Benkovic was being linked with a loan spell in Russia? Quite a common destination for Croatians, Bilic coached out there, too.

Clark at Newcastle has just come back from long term injury, Kortney Hause at Villa & Carter-Vickers at Spurs are others, Luton were linked with him but are signing Lockyer from Charlton, so maybe not.

Archived