IGNORED

Bristol History

Garland-sweden

Not football related. Saw a program in Swedish television, it was the history in Bristol. A women who was born in Bristol was comentator. How Bristol was buildt and all trades that was. The slavetrade is a dark side of Brittain and Bristol. Many rich people in Bristol but it was poor workers ho build the city. It was a revolt and hundreds off poor people were killed in Queens square my the military. Georgianska tiden we say in Sweden. Very Interesting, recomand.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Not football related. Saw a program in Swedish television, it was the history in Bristol. A women who was born in Bristol was comentator. How Bristol was buildt and all trades that was. The slavetrade is a dark side of Brittain and Bristol. Many rich people in Bristol but it was poor workers ho build the city. It was a revolt and hundreds off poor people were killed in Queens square my the military. Georgianska tiden we say in Sweden. Very Interesting, recomand.

A city steeped in history which now I am retired I intend to study much further.

• Like 1

Sounds like Dr Alice Roberts (she's one of our own) in her Channel 4 series:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-most-historic-towns/on-demand/68435-002

If you haven't seen it and want to know a little more about our past then it's a good programme.

The Queen Square riots were a savage episode where ignorance, brutality and senselessness all combined against a backdrop of elitism. The mural of the riots on the Bath Road near the Thunderbolt was painted over, sadly. Maybe we can find another place to revive it - or even use old Colston's plinth?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Sounds like Dr Alice Roberts (she's one of our own) in her Channel 4 series:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-most-historic-towns/on-demand/68435-002

If you haven't seen it and want to know a little more about our past then it's a good programme.

The Queen Square riots were a savage episode where ignorance, brutality and senselessness all combined against a backdrop of elitism. The mural of the riots on the Bath Road near the Thunderbolt was painted over, sadly. Maybe we can find another place to revive it - or even use old Colston's plinth?

You`re right, it was Alice Roberts now I come to think of it. I just find it strange that it`s an episode in Bristol`s history that is hardly ever mentioned unlike Peterloo. I really knew nothing about it until that programme.

I'd suggest buying "Weird Bristol", think there are 2 books now, written by a local author.

They are broken down into a several chapters (each in a different area in Bristol) and are laid out in a series of walks. Each walk has about 10 stops on it with a significant "weird" historical story attached.

They're facinating and a nice way to have a wander around Bristol on a Sunday afternoon. Did the Castle Park one at the weekend!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

What an astonishing photo. I like having a big green space in the middle of the city, but at the same time we lost a hell of a lot of history in the war.

That programme on the Bristol Blitz that was broadcast last year was great. 

How the gutters of the old city ran with the molten lead from the roof of St Peter's.  And how close we came to losing St Mary Redcliffe's as well!

On 31/08/2020 at 16:30, BigTone said:

A city steeped in history which now I am retired I intend to study much further.

It's a great City for a variety of reasons, my dad was constantly pointing out interesting buildings, areas, sites and I have carried it on with my family. If you haven't already looked, check out the maps in the Museum at the top of Park Street, the development of City is amazing to see. I think there is also information on how the City gained it's County status. I have some copies of old documents and maps somewhere if you would like me to try to make copies for you?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's a great City for a variety of reasons, my dad was constantly pointing out interesting buildings, areas, sites and I have carried it on with my family. If you haven't already looked, check out the maps in the Museum at the top of Park Street, the development of City is amazing to see. I think there is also information on how the City gained it's County status. I have some copies of old documents and maps somewhere if you would like me to try to make copies for you?

would be much appreciated if you have time. Thank you.

• The title was changed to Bristol History
21 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

What an astonishing photo. I like having a big green space in the middle of the city, but at the same time we lost a hell of a lot of history in the war.

Apparently that area around Castle Park was the heartbeat of Bristol at the time. 

8 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Apparently that area around Castle Park was the heartbeat of Bristol at the time. 

Yeah, it was. This video doesn't show much of the area before WW2, most of the early stuff is High Street/Wine Street, but you can get some glimpses of it. Seeing it develop in the 50s, 60s and 70s is fascinating.

On 09/11/2021 at 17:18, Port Said Red said:

Like you, I am now retired so I should have the time. :) 

On 09/11/2021 at 19:13, BigTone said:

I got bored and came back to work !!

I am still try to sort out the other stuff I have, but I have some other stuff that might interest people on this thread. When my Grandfather in Law died a few years ago, I helped clean out his house in Knowle. Under some of the old lino and carpets he had used Newspapers as liner. Some were comparatively recent, The Bristol Evening World and Evening Post from 1956, but there are also some from the Bristol Evening Post in 1943 and the National News of the World from 1929. I love the old adverts, but there are also some good stories from the old papers, especially during the war. Some put a lie to the idea that everyone was so well behaved and we were all one big happy family.

I think I need to get my grand daughter on the Quakers Oats! :)

Ration book fraud 060243.png

Razor Attack 060243.png

Shoe Shop break in 060243.png

shop break in 060243.png

Soldier break in 060243.png

Ad 1 Snowfire Ointment.png

Ad 2 Flag Sauce.png

Ad 4 Juvenille Miss.png

Ad 5 7 pence a week gramophone.png

Ad 6 Radio of the year.png

Ad 7 Quakers Oats 290929.png

Ad 3 Stomach Powder.png

• Thanks 1

On 31/08/2020 at 16:35, Lanterne Rouge said:

I thought I knew a fair bit about the history of the city but knew nothing about the Queens Square riots until I watched a Rob Bell programme about the Clifton Suspension Bridge.  For what was Bristol`s Peterloo (albeit on a smaller scale) we certainly don`t like to talk about it much.

A house through time with David Olusuga tells that story brilliantly as the clerk to the council at the time lived at 10 Guinea Street. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1