Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Not football related. Saw a program in Swedish television, it was the history in Bristol. A women who was born in Bristol was comentator. How Bristol was buildt and all trades that was. The slavetrade is a dark side of Brittain and Bristol. Many rich people in Bristol but it was poor workers ho build the city. It was a revolt and hundreds off poor people were killed in Queens square my the military. Georgianska tiden we say in Sweden. Very Interesting, recomand.

• Like 4
48 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Not football related. Saw a program in Swedish television, it was the history in Bristol. A women who was born in Bristol was comentator. How Bristol was buildt and all trades that was. The slavetrade is a dark side of Brittain and Bristol. Many rich people in Bristol but it was poor workers ho build the city. It was a revolt and hundreds off poor people were killed in Queens square my the military. Georgianska tiden we say in Sweden. Very Interesting, recomand.

A city steeped in history which now I am retired I intend to study much further.

I thought I knew a fair bit about the history of the city but knew nothing about the Queens Square riots until I watched a Rob Bell programme about the Clifton Suspension Bridge.  For what was Bristol`s Peterloo (albeit on a smaller scale) we certainly don`t like to talk about it much.

Sounds like Dr Alice Roberts (she's one of our own) in her Channel 4 series:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-most-historic-towns/on-demand/68435-002

If you haven't seen it and want to know a little more about our past then it's a good programme.

The Queen Square riots were a savage episode where ignorance, brutality and senselessness all combined against a backdrop of elitism. The mural of the riots on the Bath Road near the Thunderbolt was painted over, sadly. Maybe we can find another place to revive it - or even use old Colston's plinth?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Sounds like Dr Alice Roberts (she's one of our own) in her Channel 4 series:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/britains-most-historic-towns/on-demand/68435-002

If you haven't seen it and want to know a little more about our past then it's a good programme.

The Queen Square riots were a savage episode where ignorance, brutality and senselessness all combined against a backdrop of elitism. The mural of the riots on the Bath Road near the Thunderbolt was painted over, sadly. Maybe we can find another place to revive it - or even use old Colston's plinth?

You`re right, it was Alice Roberts now I come to think of it. I just find it strange that it`s an episode in Bristol`s history that is hardly ever mentioned unlike Peterloo. I really knew nothing about it until that programme.