IGNORED

Pro Cycling 2020

Champion Dung Spreader

47 minutes ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Yes, Bernal went really well on the last climb on Sunday - the Alps should be interesting (stage 17 favours Bernal I believe)

They were saying that the stage before the next rest day,  so stage 15, could be a real deciding factor in this years race, it’s the mountain stage Lyon - grand columbier 

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Ok an honest question for someone with zero interest but should a competitor test positive for Covid19 does it not render the whole competition pointless as maybe the best athlete doesn't win through no fault of their own.

If a footballer tests positive before the champions league final does it render the competition pointless? 

On 16/09/2020 at 16:28, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Fantastic stage - now looks pretty nailed on that Roglic will win the GC. Hopefully Richie Porte will get a podium position if he does a good time trial. It's been great and we've still got the Giro and Vuelta to come ??

That stage up the Loze was immense. What a beast of a climb. 
There’s been some really excellent stages this year, with plenty of young riders willing to take bull by the horns and make a go of it. Pogacar, Hirschi, Lopez & Karapaz all particularly impressive. 
It’s been a great tour. See what the TT brings tomorrow the Belles Filles - tough tough final few K’s. 

On 02/09/2020 at 21:06, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Totally agree - the most exciting potential for many years. The Ineos train isn't dominant (yet) - often there were two leading trains today (Ineos and Jumbo Visma). Many bookies have Roglic as odds on favourite for the GC after yesterday's performance. Bernal is second fav with markedly higher odds.

Apparently one of the Alps stages (stage 17 I think) will really suit Bernal. Also, there is a time trial near the end of the 3 weeks and Roglic has a questionable record in time trials near the end of Grand Tours. So, Bernal's GC odds look interesting.

Yes - an absolutely incredible day today. My post (above) on 2nd Sept had a key prediction as it turned out.

Wow. What a ride from Pogacar. 
And Roglic blew big time. 
Unbelievable TT. 
The climb up the Belles Filles was always gonna be a big test but Roglic lost a minute on the flat! His legs must’ve seriously gone. What a day to have a bad day. 

And fair shout to Ritchie Porte. He’ll hopefully get on the podium tomorrow - although with his luck he’ll fall 3.1k out!!! 

Great tour this year. 

21 hours ago, Harry said:

Wow. What a ride from Pogacar. 
And Roglic blew big time. 
Unbelievable TT. 
The climb up the Belles Filles was always gonna be a big test but Roglic lost a minute on the flat! His legs must’ve seriously gone. What a day to have a bad day. 

And fair shout to Ritchie Porte. He’ll hopefully get on the podium tomorrow - although with his luck he’ll fall 3.1k out!!! 

Great tour this year. 

Richie finally did it ? - well deserved and a great end to a fantastic Tour. So many really excellent new young riders and thankfully the Tour made it to Paris without any teams dropping out. Let's hope that the Tour occurs in happier times next year ?????.

3 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Richie finally did it ? - well deserved and a great end to a fantastic Tour. So many really excellent new young riders and thankfully the Tour made it to Paris without any teams dropping out. Let's hope that the Tour occurs in happier times next year ?????.

100%. I’ve been over a few times (done a few Pyrenean stages). Would love to get over there again, so hopefully when things return to some kind of normality I’d love to take in some alpine stages. Let’s hope for next year. 

• The title was changed to Pro Cycling 2020
32 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Come on Tao, bring it home ??

Incredibly, the last stage of the Giro could be even more exciting than the time trial at the end of the Tour de France. Great to see a 25 year old Brit in with a great chance of winning a grand tour ??.

Also Dan Martin (Ireland) is doing well in the Vuelta - he deserves to at least win another stage.

12 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Incredibly, the last stage of the Giro could be even more exciting than the time trial at the end of the Tour de France. Great to see a 25 year old Brit in with a great chance of winning a grand tour ??.

Also Dan Martin (Ireland) is doing well in the Vuelta - he deserves to at least win another stage.

Getting all the jobs done this morning so i can sit down and watch it this afternoon, he’s the bookies favourite so fingers crossed ? 

Us Brits we're resigned to having no Grand Tour winners when Froomy's form became clear in the Vuelta. When G pulled out of the Giro, Team Ineos went searching for stage wins and accumulated several. Then Ineos started to believe they could win the  Giro GC and Tao did it. Just goes to show that if you just keep on keeping on the unexpected can happen. Great day ?????

6 hours ago, Champion Dung Spreader said:

Us Brits we're resigned to having no Grand Tour winners when Froomy's form became clear in the Vuelta. When G pulled out of the Giro, Team Ineos went searching for stage wins and accumulated several. Then Ineos started to believe they could win the  Giro GC and Tao did it. Just goes to show that if you just keep on keeping on the unexpected can happen. Great day ?????

Fantastic performance from Tao. Thought it was all over after G and then Yatesy left the Giro in quick succession, and I certainly didn't expect Tao to contest, let alone win!

Hugh Carthy looking good in Spain too... 

On 25/10/2020 at 22:34, elhombrecito said:

Fantastic performance from Tao. Thought it was all over after G and then Yatesy left the Giro in quick succession, and I certainly didn't expect Tao to contest, let alone win!

Hugh Carthy looking good in Spain too... 

Great stage for High today - can he win GC?

45 minutes ago, Antman said:

i doubt it. Roglic will get a chunk of time in the TT on Tuesday, in the Tour he put nearly 5 minutes into Carthy.

I've no doubt that Roglic is the superior time trialer, but to be fair, Carthy had absolutely no reason to put any effort in to the Tour TT, was probably just cruising around. 

20 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

I've no doubt that Roglic is the superior time trialer, but to be fair, Carthy had absolutely no reason to put any effort in to the Tour TT, was probably just cruising around. 

don't get me wrong, i'd love to see Carthy push through like Tao did at the Giro, (I actually supported EF to the tune of $100 when they did their crowd funding as argyle, and have a very expensive mug to prove it :))

I think that Jumbo Visma have been scarily organised and able to consistantly provide big numbers in support of Roglic. Vingegaard and Kus were pulling for so long on those climbs.

Then again Movistar were bashing it out to get Valverde up to the front and he really didnt fancy it! so maybe big teams don't always work out? maybe we will see another Roglic collapse.

anyhow, the climb up the Angliru (sp?) was unreal - those last 5km were just nuts.

On 01/11/2020 at 22:33, Antman said:

i doubt it. Roglic will get a chunk of time in the TT on Tuesday, in the Tour he put nearly 5 minutes into Carthy.

Today's time trial is 34km, but the last 2km are steeper than the Angliru (!) which Hugh won on on Sunday. The Angliru is widely accepted as being the hardest climb in the world with gradients up to 24%.

Teams are discussing having bike changes today. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Roglic will win bearing in mind his TT inconsistencies and TdF bike change problems.

The season's over and what great cycling we've seen. Us Brits have great hopes for next year. Hugh Carthy's time trial in the Vuelta shows that he's now a Grand Tour rider - we knew he could climb mountains, but he's now showing more of an all round ability. Tao Geoghegan Hart's incredible win of the Giro GC gives us another hope in the big races.

Ineos have strengthened with Richie Porte, so what a team they'll be next year - god only knows who's going to lead in the TdF - G? Bernal? Carapaz? Geoghegan Hart? Maybe the Ineos Train will be back to combat Jumbo Visma. I'd like to make a prediction - young Brit Tom Pidcock has joined Ineos - he has an impressive record in his career to date (lots of major cyclo cross victories) - expect big things from him over the next few years.

On the flip side, I've now looked at Chris Froome's performance in the Vuelta. I didn't expect him to do well on the climbs. He could hardly walk a year ago, so it's going to take a very long time to recover from his severe injuries. He showed a bit at the start of the Angliru stage helping to deliver Carapaz to the start of a climb, but not much else. What worries me more is his performance downhill. His descending skills have been key to his success over the years and I wonder if his accident (on a descent) has spooked him. He'll need to regain his performance level to compete against all of these youngsters who will be fearless on the downhill sections. It would be a truly great story if he can win a Grand Tour again, but will he have the backup with his new team? I'm not sure.

Anyway - I can't wait for Spring. Summer should be great too - e.g. the TdF has a stage where the iconic Mont Ventoux is climbed twice. Autumn should be fantastic - I'm hoping to go to Devon and Cornwall to see the Tour of Britain ???

Archived