IGNORED

Josh Brownhill

Red Army 75

8 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

And to think people thought we wouldn't miss him last season after losing him and signing Wells when Nagy, Massengo and Smith had 1 goal and 1 assist (both from Nagy) between them. 

I think anyone who seriously thought “we wouldn’t miss him” probably needs help.

There is a very good reason he is now a regular in a top half Premiership club and the others aren’t.

Not sure he was completely appreciated by some, but he played virtually every game, was a decent source of goals & never, ever gave anything but his best.

A very nice lad & an excellent player, undoubtedly LJ’s best find during his time in charge.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think anyone who seriously thought “we wouldn’t miss him” probably needs help.

There is a very good reason he is now a regular in a top half Premiership club and the others aren’t.

Not sure he was completely appreciated by some, but he played virtually every game, was a decent source of goals & never, ever gave anything but his best.

A very nice lad & an excellent player, undoubtedly LJ’s best find during his time in charge.

Bad news for a fair percentage of OTIB then! 

I don't think we did miss him that much, we never played through the midfield when he was here and were constantly overrun. That two man midfield of Pack and Brownhill SUCKED! And that's not the same as saying it was his fault or he was a bad player, just the way were set up didn't require anything from the midfielders other than running around and punting long balls at Fam. I think he was most effective for us on the right when Smith and Pack played centrally. They did the donkey work and he was allowed to affect the game.

I'd have loved to see him in this 3-5-2 we're doing currently! Those two box to box roles which we had Weimann and Paterson doing are perfect for him IMO.

Also it's nice to see he's working on his post football career as a comedian.

Apparently Callum O'Dowda just needs some games and a little confidence to become unstoppable!

I guess a new contract and 120 + games just isn't enough of an opportunity.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

And to think people thought we wouldn't miss him last season after losing him and signing Wells when Nagy, Massengo and Smith had 1 goal and 1 assist (both from Nagy) between them. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

15 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I don't think we did miss him that much, we never played through the midfield when he was here and were constantly overrun. That two man midfield of Pack and Brownhill SUCKED! And that's not the same as saying it was his fault or he was a bad player, just the way were set up didn't require anything from the midfielders other than running around and punting long balls at Fam. I think he was most effective for us on the right when Smith and Pack played centrally. They did the donkey work and he was allowed to affect the game.

I'd have loved to see him in this 3-5-2 we're doing currently! Those two box to box roles which we had Weimann and Paterson doing are perfect for him IMO.

Also it's nice to see he's working on his post football career as a comedian.

Apparently Callum O'Dowda just needs some games and a little confidence to become unstoppable!

I guess a new contract and 120 + games just isn't enough of an opportunity.

All about opinions.  He was a good player, not gonna argue with that.  Let’s not forget we were just as inconsistent a team with him in it as out of him.  We did miss him ultimately, but some of the selections LJ made after he left were massive contributory factors.  Little things like flogging Henriksen, not playing Benkovic, criticising Wells didn’t help cover the loss of Brownhill.

I don’t disagree that O’Dowda has some talent....but I think JB’s comments might just sum it up....he’s great on the training ground.  I’d rather it was the other way around!

Agree that JB might’ve thrived in that 352 under Holden.  I look at games earlier in the season, even when constrained to a more disciplined, deeper role and he gave us “something”.  Derby (a), Cardiff (a)...goals too.

From the bits and pieces I’ve seen at Burnley he’s benefiting from players who think quicker...he certainly improved his composure on the ball over the last 12-18 months here.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

⬇️⬇️⬇️

All about opinions.  He was a good player, not gonna argue with that.  Let’s not forget we were just as inconsistent a team with him in it as out of him.  We did miss him ultimately, but some of the selections LJ made after he left were massive contributory factors.  Little things like flogging Henriksen, not playing Benkovic, criticising Wells didn’t help cover the loss of Brownhill.

I don’t disagree that O’Dowda has some talent....but I think JB’s comments might just sum it up....he’s great on the training ground.  I’d rather it was the other way around!

Agree that JB might’ve thrived in that 352 under Holden.  I look at games earlier in the season, even when constrained to a more disciplined, deeper role and he gave us “something”.  Derby (a), Cardiff (a)...goals too.

From the bits and pieces I’ve seen at Burnley he’s benefiting from players who think quicker...he certainly improved his composure on the ball over the last 12-18 months here.

You're wrong Dave, we were a far more consistent team without him in it. 

Consistently s***e!

Seriously though, he scored 5 in the first half of the season. A whole season would have seen him score ten from centre-mid, what more could you want from your CM? I think we could see after he left how much he carried a very inconsistent team at times. 

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

I don't think we did miss him that much, we never played through the midfield when he was here and were constantly overrun. That two man midfield of Pack and Brownhill SUCKED! 

They were far too overused  and were flogged IMO. The season before last they both made 45 starts, insane numbers for a 2 man Championship midfield. It showed in midweek matches such as Ipswich (H).

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

You're wrong Dave, we were a far more consistent team without him in it. 

Consistently s***e!

Seriously though, he scored 5 in the first half of the season. A whole season would have seen him score ten from centre-mid, what more could you want from your CM? I think we could see after he left how much he carried a very inconsistent team at times. 

???

I was generally agreeing with you and Graham....just highlighting other problems that meant we felt pain when he left, when perhaps we shouldn’t have.

Just now, Davefevs said:

???

I was generally agreeing with you and Graham....just highlighting other problems that meant we felt pain when he left, when perhaps we shouldn’t have.

I agree with you, I think Henriksen should've patched over losing JB but was mismanaged. However, I do feel that JB was massively underrated by some as being 'inconsistent' whereas I would argue he is probably the best CM we have had over the last decade. 

9 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

They were far too overused  and were flogged IMO. The season before last they both made 45 starts, insane numbers for a 2 man Championship midfield. It showed in midweek matches such as Ipswich (H).

I don't have the info to disagree with you or agree

@Davefevs You have/know how to get running mileage data/sprints etc for individual players across different seasons? Would be interesting to see IF there drop off due to "flogging"

14 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

I agree with you, I think Henriksen should've patched over losing JB but was mismanaged. However, I do feel that JB was massively underrated by some as being 'inconsistent' whereas I would argue he is probably the best CM we have had over the last decade. 

I think he really came on in his final 12 months here, across the two seasons.  Matured defensively too.  I certainly rated him, just thought he had areas to improve in.  That 100mph lack of composure with the final pass or shot that let him down, had been honed, he gets his head up.  That’s the big area for his mate to learn.

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I don't have the info to disagree with you or agree

@Davefevs You have/know how to get running mileage data/sprints etc for individual players across different seasons? Would be interesting to see IF there drop off due to "flogging"

No, I don’t have that data....but a guy who hasn’t played football apart from a couple of International friendlies was chucked in v Derby.  I said at the time, I’m sure he through that game on adrenaline, and my worry was the next game.  He’d put so much into Derby, to then play Leeds next....where he chased the ball for 90 minutes....then again v West Brom, is just knackering.  45 mins v Huddersfield in what were three awful (not over stating it) team performances on the trot, were not his fault....but mid-management of the situation.

Of course all speculation from me, but I can just imagine MH getting told he’s coming off at h-t (a big insult to any player) after flogging himself....and hitting the roof.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep totally agree with this. I said at the time we would miss him badly and sadly we did. An integral part of the team and although one player doesn't make a team If he had stayed LJ's increasingly misfiring team might just have made top six and with it kept his job.

Possibly there are questions here for the decision makers because not having a suitable replacement in mind has cost the club in the short term.

Only time will tell if the sale of JB was really worth it or did it in fact cost us more.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No, I don’t have that data....but a guy who hasn’t played football apart from a couple of International friendlies was chucked in v Derby.  I said at the time, I’m sure he through that game on adrenaline, and my worry was the next game.  He’d put so much into Derby, to then play Leeds next....where he chased the ball for 90 minutes....then again v West Brom, is just knackering.  45 mins v Huddersfield in what were three awful (not over stating it) team performances on the trot, were not his fault....but mid-management of the situation.

Of course all speculation from me, but I can just imagine MH getting told he’s coming off at h-t (a big insult to any player) after flogging himself....and hitting the roof.

I think he's referring to JB, Dave.

I remember when he was sold these forums were generally more than happy he was gone for the fee he went for and were quite vocal about he wasn't as good as he was made out to be. 

I said we'd regret losing him, even if his transfer was too good for him to say no to and we had no choice he was always going to be a big loss for us. 

9 hours ago, Spike said:

I remember when he was sold these forums were generally more than happy he was gone for the fee he went for and were quite vocal about he wasn't as good as he was made out to be. 

I said we'd regret losing him, even if his transfer was too good for him to say no to and we had no choice he was always going to be a big loss for us. 

I think this last bit sums it up for me. Of course he was a very good player and we missed him but ultimately I don’t see that we could have kept hold of him if he wanted to go and, for the last few weeks here, he was a bit anonymous and looked affected by the speculation.

I’d rather we got the money and Wells than an unhappy and unsettled player for the rest of the season. It would have been great if we’d had a focused committed Brownhill for the second half of 19/20 but I’m not sure if that was an option.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think this last bit sums it up for me. Of course he was a very good player and we missed him but ultimately I don’t see that we could have kept hold of him if he wanted to go and, for the last few weeks here, he was a bit anonymous and looked affected by the speculation.

I’d rather we got the money and Wells than an unhappy and unsettled player for the rest of the season. It would have been great if we’d had a focused committed Brownhill for the second half of 19/20 but I’m not sure if that was an option.

I agree that we did the right thing, the issue for me was how so many of our fans seemed to deem him as "average" or "overrated".

I honestly think we've lost so many players in the past that were undervalued, it's only recently that we seem to be demanding the fees that we should be. For me, Bryan was the worst sale, £6m is a lot but I feel he had so much more than just his ability on the pitch, I think he was a massive positive impact all around. I'd love to see him come back but it'll never happen.

32 minutes ago, Spike said:

I agree that we did the right thing, the issue for me was how so many of our fans seemed to deem him as "average" or "overrated".

I honestly think we've lost so many players in the past that were undervalued, it's only recently that we seem to be demanding the fees that we should be. For me, Bryan was the worst sale, £6m is a lot but I feel he had so much more than just his ability on the pitch, I think he was a massive positive impact all around. I'd love to see him come back but it'll never happen.

It’s because a lot of our fan base are fickle and snobby.  No player is good enough for us, and all our own players are crap if they leave.

(not my view of course)

Archived