IGNORED

7 years on

RAD_Red

This interview popped up on Youtube earlier today - Steve Lansdown talking after we were relegated to L1 in 2013.

Very dark days for the club and it does help to put recent events at the club in to perspective. If someone told me back in 2013 where we would be going into the 20/21 season (Covid aside), I personally would have bit their arm off!

27 minutes ago, RAD_Red said:

This interview popped up on Youtube earlier today - Steve Lansdown talking after we were relegated to L1 in 2013.

Very dark days for the club and it does help to put recent events at the club in to perspective. If someone told me back in 2013 where we would be going into the 20/21 season (Covid aside), I personally would have bit their arm off!

Let’s hope we don’t have a similar interview at the end of this season. 

48 minutes ago, RAD_Red said:

If someone told me back in 2013 where we would be going into the 20/21 season (Covid aside), I personally would have bit their arm off!

If someone told me back in 2008 after the play-off final defeat that that season would be our highest league finish for at least another 13 seasons, I would have bitten their nose off. 

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Seven years of progress to finish 12th in the championship, and how much has been invested to achieve that? 

True - but the club itself is in a far better place than it was 7 years ago. We should have achieved a higher finish in the past couple of years no doubt -  but the stadium, training ground, combined with some of the fees that we now are able to sell our players for, shows how far we've come IMHO.

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

If someone told me back in 2008 after the play-off final defeat that that season would be our highest league finish for at least another 13 seasons, I would have bitten their nose off. 

If someone had told me back in 1980 as I trudged despondently out of the ground, that 40 years later we would still be waiting for a return to the top flight I would have just bit them.

39 minutes ago, Homer Simpson said:

If someone had told me back in 1980 as I trudged despondently out of the ground, that 40 years later we would still be waiting for a return to the top flight I would have just bit them.

If in 1982 someone said that we would have the ground, training facilities and infrastructure that we have now, I wouldn’t have believed them.

Im one of many that paid hard earned cash to buy shares to keep the club alive. The fact that we’ve have now got a billionaire benefactor whose family are genuine supporters is something I would only have dreamed of.

Yes, many of us are miffed at how the last few months have gone, but we are in a very good place regarding the future of our club.... and if you were a supporter of the blue few back in 1980 you would not have believed how the gap between the 2 clubs has shifted. Attempting to be objective, the shift is irrevocable ?

1 minute ago, nick jones of hereford said:

If in 1982 someone said that we would have the ground, training facilities and infrastructure that we have now, I wouldn’t have believed them.

Im one of many that paid hard earned cash to buy shares to keep the club alive. The fact that we’ve have now got a billionaire benefactor whose family are genuine supporters is something I would only have dreamed of.

Yes, many of us are miffed at how the last few months have gone, but we are in a very good place regarding the future of our club.... and if you were a supporter of the blue few back in 1980 you would not have believed how the gap between the 2 clubs has shifted. Attempting to be objective, the shift is irrevocable ?

Great post :clap:

There is clearly a polarised opinion on SL. A fair few see him holding us back and not being ambitious enough. Equally a fair few reflect on how far we have come.

Is this a divide by age? Younguns only started supporting 5-10 yrs ago not seeing much progress. Old buggers having experienced the 80’s and 90’s much more content ? 

22 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

There is clearly a polarised opinion on SL. A fair few see him holding us back and not being ambitious enough. Equally a fair few reflect on how far we have come.

Is this a divide by age? Younguns only started supporting 5-10 yrs ago not seeing much progress. Old buggers having experienced the 80’s and 90’s much more content ? 

Potentially although I don't think its the only factor. I'm 27 and while I question some of the decisions that the club makes - I think we are lucky to have SL as our owner and it's pretty clear that we are making progress, especially off the pitch. Having said that - on the pitch is what really matters and I'm not sure how I'd feel if we continued to improve stadium, training ground etc but didn't make it to the Prem in the next few seasons.

4 hours ago, RAD_Red said:

With all the money we have spent i am not so sure. We have a ceiling under SL and I personally feel we have hit that right now.

2 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That doesn't quite fit for me. I was around for the 80s/90s. On the pitch I don't feel that Steve has had enough bangs for his bucks (or mine). To use a footballing analogy, he's got us into good shooting positions several times, but fails to pull the trigger. Setting aside the off field investment for a moment, I don't think the money has always been spent wisely. We may be a wealthier club and sitting in a better position in the league if it had.

16 hours ago, bris red said:

With all the money we have spent i am not so sure. We have a ceiling under SL and I personally feel we have hit that right now.

So you keep saying. We get it. You're not a fan of his. 

Feel free to buy him out..! 

Or would you prefer we just let anyone else take charge, who doesn't have nearly 2 billion quid and doesn't genuinely care about the club..? 

15 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Dont think it was dark days really. We were a rotherham too good for league one getting there in championship but ultimatley were gonna become a average championship side and now we are. And will be for a good while with people like johnson and holden in charge

You don’t think that 2013/14 season, coming only 5 years after being a game away from the Premier League was dark days?

If you’d said we were going to be a top half championship side in 5 years time half way through that season I’d have bitten your hand off...

17 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Massively disagree, it’s the older ones I believe that cause the most unrest, the most grumpy and impatient 

without being morbid my opinion is that some people will feel they are running out of time to see city in the top flight again.

2 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Massively disagree, it’s the older ones I believe that cause the most unrest, the most grumpy and impatient 

without being morbid my opinion is that some people will feel they are running out of time to see city in the top flight again.

Unrest! 

Some of us Dolman D Blockers don't even give him a standing ovation.

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

So you keep saying. We get it. You're not a fan of his. 

Feel free to buy him out..! 

Or would you prefer we just let anyone else take charge, who doesn't have nearly 2 billion quid and doesn't genuinely care about the club..? 

The Lansdown family aren’t untouchable, irrespective of how much money they are worth or how much they have put in to the club they should still be subject to criticism.  Granted Steve has made some good decisions for this football club but he has also made some bloody poor ones that he should be called out on - don’t you agree? Or are you just a blind follower of the dictatorship and feel everyone else should put up and shut up?

On 01/09/2020 at 15:19, nick jones of hereford said:

This. Absolutely

55 minutes ago, bris red said:

The Lansdown family aren’t untouchable, irrespective of how much money they are worth or how much they have put in to the club they should still be subject to criticism.  Granted Steve has made some good decisions for this football club but he has also made some bloody poor ones that he should be called out on - don’t you agree? Or are you just a blind follower of the dictatorship and feel everyone else should put up and shut up?

I do agree, until you describe the owners ownership as "dictatorship", displaying your bitterness, again - which I really don't understand. 

Owners & managers of any business make the decisions and won't please everyone. 

They've usually earned the right to make those decisions, by succeeding in life, if not in that specific field. 

I think reasoned questioning, with an open mind is far more appropriate than labeling things as "dictatorships" just because you're not entirely satisfied, despite (I assume) not being in a position to offer to take over yourself. 

On 01/09/2020 at 12:53, RAD_Red said:

That was interesting. He didn’t seem that convinced by SOD (towards the end)! 

4 hours ago, bris red said:

And what would you hope to achieve by "calling out"?

On 01/09/2020 at 14:29, Homer Simpson said:

I can remember, playing often and visiting the likes of; Fulham, Burnley, Palace, WBA, Brighton, Sheff Utd, Wolves and Leics grounds not in the prem where they all are now but in this div, why are they where they are now and we are where we are?

As we have a rich owner, it can only be poor manager selection and the owners lack of belief in his selected managers by investing in the quality players required. Preferring to go down the player development and sell route which is a never ending circle.

The clubs mentioned are ones we should be playing now in the prem we have matching support but not a boss who has enough belief in his manager to take us to the next level. Investing millions in proven players (and manager) is a risk but also an investment and is whats needed to get us to the next level.

Nice shiny stadium, many seem happy with that its not enough to move us forward.

Archived