IGNORED

Cam Pring loan to pompey

Gillies Downs Leeds

26 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Smith is a winger, if we don't play with wingers he is going to find game time very limited. Pring is behind Rowe who is a capable left wing back and one that we would likely struggle to shift until next summer. What suits them better, 10 (probably less for Smith) cameos from the bench, or getting 30+ league appearances at a L1 club to get them ready for next season?

100% the latter for me.

I've no idea if Smith's abilities confine him to the role of a traditional winger -  he looks a very promising all round player so maybe he is capable of adapting his role.

The club might have anticipated Pring being worthy of a squad place this season and therefore thought carefully about who we signed previously for his position so as not to block him.

No point having a pathway if there's a locked gate 2 yards from the end of it.

If we keep on signing new players of course there will always be reasons to keep sending young (and not so young) homegrown players out on loan, but whether that remains the best policy certainly remains open to debate.

As I've said I'd like to have seen these 2 in City's matchday squad this season, and, crucially, being used - much more interesting for fans than short term filler-in signings, however capable, and if the club actually did blood them and persevere then I really can't see anything better for their development.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I've no idea if Smith's abilities confine him to the role of a traditional winger -  he looks a very promising all round player so maybe he is capable of adapting his role.

The club might have anticipated Pring being worthy of a squad place this season and therefore thought carefully about who we signed previously for his position so as not to block him.

If we keep on signing new players of course there will always be reasons to keep sending young (and not so young) homegrown players out on loan, but whether that remains the best policy certainly remains open to debate.

As I've said I'd like to have seen these 2 in City's matchday squad this season, and, crucially, being used - much more interesting for fans than short term filler-in signings, however capable, and if the club actually did blood them and persevere then I really can't see anything better for their development.

I remember reading his Dad's comments on another thread about the 352 certainly not suiting his abilities. 

IMO it's no harm to Pring's development, he will know that Tommy Rowe has a year left on his deal and that he will be seen as the future, it's up to him to take his chance this season. 

Certainly did Walsh and Morrell no harm last season.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Jonny is a wing forward 352 wouldn't suit his abilities and a loan to a league one club isn't a bad thing it'll only help his development more. 

Cameron going on loan if he gets the 30+ games we are hoping for will only help his development so that when he does come back he can be a capable backup/pushing for first team. 

Would he benefit sitting on the bench for the season as backup to Jay when he could be playing 30-40 games? No he will learn more from the games then sitting on the bench at City. 

53 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Jonny is a wing forward 352 wouldn't suit his abilities and a loan to a league one club isn't a bad thing it'll only help his development more. 

Cameron going on loan if he gets the 30+ games we are hoping for will only help his development so that when he does come back he can be a capable backup/pushing for first team. 

Would he benefit sitting on the bench for the season as backup to Jay when he could be playing 30-40 games? No he will learn more from the games then sitting on the bench at City. 

Fair enough, but you're only really reiterating previous comments from others when I've already said I see things differently.

Archived