IGNORED

Morrell Interview (post-Swindon)

Davefevs

Think this is an absolutely huge season for him, obviously he needs to play regularly to keep his place in the Wales team & with Korey gone & Joe Williams unavailable for an unspecified time, he has a great chance of starting v Coventry.

Will never understand why we didn’t recall him in January but do hope he goes from strength to strength in 2020/21.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Think this is an absolutely huge season for him, obviously he needs to play regularly to keep his place in the Wales team & with Korey gone & Joe Williams unavailable for an unspecified time, he has a great chance of starting v Coventry.

Will never understand why we didn’t recall him in January but do hope he goes from strength to strength in 2020/21.

We opted for the magnificent henrikssen instead!

agree though, now is his time, after years of loans, he needs to come in and play

The central midfield dogfight is the most interesting part of the team for me.

Nagy, Massengo, Morrell, Walsh, Williams, Bakinson, Paterson, Palmer, Szmodics, Weimann, Rowe,  O'Dowda. and Eliasson

13 players for 3 places.

Shows how much we've messed up our squad!

I'd only really consider the first 9 contenders for those 3 spots in all honesty but that is still an astonishing abundance of talent. Arguably poor squad management if we're so blessed in those areas and short in others.

It's not unreasonable to think that 3/4 of those could be Premier League players eventually.

5 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Nagy, Massengo, Morrell, Walsh, Williams, Bakinson, Paterson, Palmer, Szmodics, Weimann, Rowe,  O'Dowda. and Eliasson

13 players for 3 places.

Ditching Weimann & COD would be a good start in trimming that list. Not convinced Eliasson really fits as Holden as fixated on 5-3-2 as Cotts became, so perhaps we should cash in on him too.

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Ditching Weimann & COD would be a good start in trimming that list. Not convinced Eliasson really fits as Holden as fixated on 5-3-2 as Cotts became, so perhaps we should cash in on him too.

Weimann is needed as an option up front, especially if Fam leaves. Can see us cashing in on Eliasson and O’Dowda and using that money for a right back and centre back 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t know Joe but we do have a mutual friend who tells me that he will definitely move on if he doesn’t break through properly this season. Nearly left two years ago but was convinced to stay 

I wouldn’t be surprised, he clearly needs to be playing regularly at his age and considering he’s regularly in the wales squad.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Definitely. This is a massive chance for him at the moment. If he can get into that holding midfield role for the first game, he has a chance to make it his own and put the pressure on Williams to dislodge him...

Morrell was good enough to keep Aaron Ramsey out of the Wales XI six months ago but deemed not good enough for the Championship by LJ. 

Big season for him, as others have said, but he needs to be given a chance - and not just one game. I think he’ll take that chance with both hands. 

I’d like to see Morrell and Williams in front of a back three with Walsh ahead of them. Nagy and Massengo rotated in when necessary. 

15 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Definitely. This is a massive chance for him at the moment. If he can get into that holding midfield role for the first game, he has a chance to make it his own and put the pressure on Williams to dislodge him...

I think they will both play a lot of games (once Williams fit) and a lot of games in the same starting eleven too.

9 minutes ago, tin said:

Morrell was good enough to keep Aaron Ramsey out of the Wales XI six months ago but deemed not good enough for the Championship by LJ. 

Big season for him, as others have said, but he needs to be given a chance - and not just one game. I think he’ll take that chance with both hands. 

I’d like to see Morrell and Williams in front of a back three with Walsh ahead of them. Nagy and Massengo rotated in when necessary. 

Wasn’t quite as straightforward as that.  Giggs decided he needed someone match fit, who he knew could get through two 90 minutes, so that his two key players lacking match fitness (Ramsey and Bale) could be used as efficiently as possible without needing to waste subs elsewhere.  It is why he predominantly got picked over Ampadu, who Giggs felt couldn’t last 2 games in a short period.

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I don’t know Joe but we do have a mutual friend who tells me that he will definitely move on if he doesn’t break through properly this season. Nearly left two years ago but was convinced to stay 

I wouldn't complain if he did. I consider that he has been appallingly ignored by LJ in the last two seasons.

If Holden only achieves one thing this season, apart from not getting relegated, is to see Joe Morrell a "first on the teamsheet" for City.

He made his debut at sixteen and turned down, I believe, Liverpool to stay with City. He'll make mistakes, don't we all, but he'll give 100% for this club when given the opportunity.

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I wouldn't complain if he did. I consider that he has been appallingly ignored by LJ in the last two seasons.

If Holden only achieves one thing this season, apart from not getting relegated, is to see Joe Morrell a "first on the teamsheet" for City.

He made his debut at sixteen and turned down, I believe, Liverpool to stay with City. He'll make mistakes, don't we all, but he'll give 100% for this club when given the opportunity.

Rewriting history.

Joe had numerous loans which were not successful including non-league - and LJ stuck by him.

It all really clicked for Joe last season at Lincoln after a promising loan at L2 Cheltenham.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-morrell/profil/spieler/293507

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Wasn't it LJ who basically begged GJ (then at Cheltenham?) to take him on loan in the Football League as no other club would take him. Clearly LJ believed in him & from that loan spell he moved onto Lincoln & now looking like a First XI starter in the championship. Sounds more like LJ has had a great impact on his upward career trajectory if you ask me (albeit you could argue,quite rightly possibly, that he should've come back to BS3 in January) 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I'm looking forward to seeing him play for City, having played against him and seeing the gulf in quality but not sure what he did last season specifically to make him a candidate for returning in January when we were looking for an extra bit of quality to push on for the playoffs? He would have been a gamble, even more so than recalling Walsh which many people wanted to do.

I know it didn't pay off, and the "quality" we brought in flopped for whatever reason, but it's not hard to realise why he wasn't recalled when we had far better options (on paper)

3 hours ago, Prinny said:

13 players for 3 places.

I'd argue Weimann, Rowe and - if he stays - Szmodics - are playing competing for other roles and O'Dowda, Eliasson and arguably Palmer are victims of the fact we've changed manager and switched to a system that does not include their preferred position. That leaves seven players who are naturals for those three roles plus three others that are arguably misfits if they stay. Agree it is a bit of a mess and guessing the club have been banking on an offer for Eliasson that is yet to materialise...

35 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd argue Weimann, Rowe and - if he stays - Szmodics - are playing competing for other roles and O'Dowda, Eliasson and arguably Palmer are victims of the fact we've changed manager and switched to a system that does not include their preferred position. That leaves seven players who are naturals for those three roles plus three others that are arguably misfits if they stay. Agree it is a bit of a mess and guessing the club have been banking on an offer for Eliasson that is yet to materialise...

I think that's fair but I'd say it's more that additionally they are. Weimann directly played there under Holden last season... so if we play Wells and Fam for example, Weimann is competing for a midfield spot. Unclear how Holden views Rowe O'Dowda, Szmodics, etc. no one has asked him!

We also don't know exactly what Holden wants in the 3 or what he'll accept. We've seen one continuity player, 2 box to box types so far, but is he willing to change it to one continuity, one box to box and a number 10? Or two continuity one number 10? Is exact system or form the deciding factor? Not enough info IMO! We'll see.

9 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I think that's fair but I'd say it's more that additionally they are. Weimann directly played there under Holden last season... so if we play Wells and Fam for example, Weimann is competing for a midfield spot. Unclear how Holden views Rowe O'Dowda, Szmodics, etc. no one has asked him!

We also don't know exactly what Holden wants in the 3 or what he'll accept. We've seen one continuity player, 2 box to box types so far, but is he willing to change it to one continuity, one box to box and a number 10? Or two continuity one number 10? Is exact system or form the deciding factor? Not enough info IMO! We'll see.

I think the beauty of it (a midfield 3) is that you can blend all different types.  Think there has been too much reliance in “types” over recent years.  It’s all about what works, and it might be what Holden thinks will give his team an advantage over a particular opposition.

39 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

id bin massengo and nagy before elliasson and cod incase we need to switch to wingers

I don’t think Eliasson will be here at the end of the season . I suspect he won’t sign a new contract and we will need to cash in as he moves into the last year of his current contract. I can see him going overseas or to Celtic and then coming back to England in 3 years time to the premier league . 

4 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I'd only really consider the first 9 contenders for those 3 spots in all honesty but that is still an astonishing abundance of talent. Arguably poor squad management if we're so blessed in those areas and short in others.

It's not unreasonable to think that 3/4 of those could be Premier League players eventually.

I take the opposite view.

Diabolical that LJ, as a midfielder, has left us with a midfield player selection made up of the mentally and/or physically fragile, that are either desperately inconsistent or vastly Championship inexperienced and who have little to no idea of shape, roles, or partnerships with each other, our defensive and attacking players. 

We could be found out this year, if we aren’t very careful. 

Williams looked a useful addition and, frankly, I was amazed we got him. Then news broke that he was injured which explained all. 

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I take the opposite view.

Diabolical that LJ, as a midfielder, has left us with a midfield player selection made up of the mentally and/or physically fragile, that are either desperately inconsistent or vastly Championship inexperienced and who have little to no idea of shape, roles, or partnerships with each other, our defensive and attacking players. 

We could be found out this year, if we aren’t very careful. 

Williams looked a useful addition and, frankly, I was amazed we got him. Then news broke that he was injured which explained all. 

I don't know where this idea that the midfield is so fragile has come from. Just because they didn't link up together last year doesn't mean they're automatically terrible individually. Xavi and Iniesta were hardly monsters, and it could well be down to a poor system, bad communication from LJ, well there could be a million reasons.

Walsh lit up League One last year. Massengo was wanted by the top clubs in Europe and has even played Champions League football. Adam Nagy has 50 odd appearances in Serie A. And that's excluding Morrell, Pato, Palmer, etc.

There is talent in that midfield and we haven't seen anywhere near the best that they can do.

38 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I don’t think Eliasson will be here at the end of the season . I suspect he won’t sign a new contract and we will need to cash in as he moves into the last year of his current contract. I can see him going overseas or to Celtic and then coming back to England in 3 years time to the premier league . 

He’s already in his last year...less than 10 months left...same as Diedhiou, and others.

12 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I don't know where this idea that the midfield is so fragile has come from. Just because they didn't link up together last year doesn't mean they're automatically terrible individually. Xavi and Iniesta were hardly monsters, and it could well be down to a poor system, bad communication from LJ, well there could be a million reasons.

Walsh lit up League One last year. Massengo was wanted by the top clubs in Europe and has even played Champions League football. Adam Nagy has 50 odd appearances in Serie A. And that's excluding Morrell, Pato, Palmer, etc.

There is talent in that midfield and we haven't seen anywhere near the best that they can do.

Physically Fragile - We get bullied. Regularly. We get injuries. Regularly.

Mentally Fragile - Players at best consistently inconsistent. Just carp at worst.

If the imports are that good, then taking on the Championship should’ve been a breeze. It wasn’t.

Walsh et al. Potential. League 1 though is where Bristol Rovers play. 

As an ex-midfielder, the ex-Manager should have at least been able to organise the talent there into a decent unit. He couldn’t.

Worrying. 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Physically Fragile - We get bullied. Regularly. We get injuries. Regularly.

Mentally Fragile - Players at best consistently inconsistent. Just carp at worst.

If the imports are that good, then taking on the Championship should’ve been a breeze. It wasn’t.

Walsh et al. Potential. League 1 though is where Bristol Rovers play. 

As an ex-midfielder, the ex-Manager should have at least been able to organise the talent there into a decent unit. He couldn’t.

Worrying. 

I semi-jokingly said LJ loved players in the mould of him....but that he forgot he played alongside Marvin Elliott ?

Archived