IGNORED

Chris Brunt - Signing Confirmed

GrahamC

7 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

After he full on booted the ball into the crowd from about 2 yards away in the dying moments of a game we lost 4-1, resulting in a fellow city fan being taken to hospital after the ball smashed him in the face, if we sign him that’s the last straw for me and this shambles of a “football club”. 

Happened right in front of me, the poor bloke was walking out along the front of the Dolman and was absolutely poleaxed.

Reckless at best from Brunt imo. - absolutely no need to use that much power - but it was the sight of one of his team mates seemingly sniggering about it in the background while the fan was flat out that really set the crowd off.

Close to being a riot, lucky the final whistle went soon after and the players got off the pitch.

Do I hold it against Brunt now? Not really, so much water under the bridge - if it was the 1-4 Sheff. Weds. game it was 16 years ago!

The incident came back to me as well though when I saw the thread title.

I forgot it was Brunt though I now remember a bit better the incident!

Was clearly (surely) accidental the incident. Seemed needless, Sheffield Wednesday were 4-1 up approaching stoppage time.

@Nogbad the Bad is quite right, reaction was very angry indeed. I think they went straight off at 90, certainly no stoppage time- possibly played a role?

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Happened right in front of me, the poor bloke was walking out along the front of the Dolman and was absolutely poleaxed.

Reckless at best from Brunt imo. - absolutely no need to use that much power - but it was the sight of one of his team mates seemingly sniggering about it in the background while the fan was flat out that really set the crowd off.

Close to being a riot, lucky the final whistle went soon after and the players got off the pitch.

Do I hold it against Brunt now? Not really, so much water under the bridge - if it was the 1-4 Sheff. Weds. game it was 16 years ago!

The incident came back to me as well though when I saw the thread title.

Wow I remember that!

Never knew it was Chris friggin Brunt until now. You couldn’t have been that far from me as I was right in front of it with the old man. Didn’t the lad need treatment?

Did get very heated.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had a quick search and found the or a thread on it from the time!

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/27436-city-fan-injured-by-ball-hit-towards-him/

Good find Mr.P., fair bit of anger there.

Surprised I'm not on that thread, lots of familiar former posters having their say, plus a fair number still posting too.

If this Brunt rumour turns out to be true, I really don’t understand it. The only positive is his experience would be useful but he doesn’t get into my first XI or on the bench given how well stocked we are in midfield.

I’ll put my neck on the line and say I suspect this is a waste of a wage if it comes to fruition. 

Also, does anyone remember Brunt playing for Sheff Weds at the Gate circa 2004, got Danny Coles sent off in front of the Dolman? 

2 hours ago, tin said:

If this Brunt rumour turns out to be true, I really don’t understand it. The only positive is his experience would be useful but he doesn’t get into my first XI or on the bench given how well stocked we are in midfield.

I’ll put my neck on the line and say I suspect this is a waste of a wage if it comes to fruition. 

Also, does anyone remember Brunt playing for Sheff Weds at the Gate circa 2004, got Danny Coles sent off in front of the Dolman? 

Doubt he will come now if he doesn’t get into your first XI

I can see several positions he could play....LWB, in midfield, etc....but I’m a bit with @tinhere.  It’s one I need to hear Holden’s rationale for should it happen.  Experience, sweet left peg...I get that, but I can only think it happens if other players leave.

But we are outsiders looking in.  Could be a player coach role for all we know.

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can see several positions he could play....LWB, in midfield, etc....but I’m a bit with @tinhere.  It’s one I need to hear Holden’s rationale for should it happen.  Experience, sweet left peg...I get that, but I can only think it happens if other players leave.

But we are outsiders looking in.  Could be a player coach role for all we know.

I think also Brunt's expectations are key here. Brunt is 35 and it might be he is happy being a bit-part player, an experienced head and someone who can come on from the bench if we need to see out a game. In that case, I can see the logic. 

2 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

No doubt still a very good player at this level but really struggling to see where he fits in.

Really interesting one this but in Holden we trust!

No we don't he has done nothing to earn our trust, part of the failed regime for 4 seasons. Decisions like playing Wiemann as a central midfielder does not do anything for him to start earning trust either!

• The title was changed to Chris Brunt - Signing Confirmed
1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

A bit concerned about central defence now if Alfie is so far away fitness wise.

I really do wonder if as a curve ball option we'll see Brunt come in and play in that ball playing LCB role quite a bit before Baker returns in December. Has experience at left back and West Brom fans describe him as playing very well as a defensive midfield 'quarterback' / dictator of play so it may suit him very well.

With the talent and depth we already have in centre mid and (I'm only guessing) won't have the legs to play large chunks of games at wing back so that's the only way this signing makes a lot of sense to me. Unless he really is happy with a bit part role this season, will be doing coaching on the side and is being bought for his experience around the dressing room?

Archived