IGNORED

Chris Brunt - Signing Confirmed

GrahamC

Many years ago, I sat on the gantry commentating on City for a few years. Over that period there was one player that we never got, who I always felt would make a huge difference, Graham Kavanagh, both when at Stoke and when at Cardiff...someone that always ran midfield, whoever he was against and whoever was beside him. I think Brunt could well be the Kavanagh we need. Here’s hoping. 

With the likes of Williams, Martin, Mawson and now Brunt..... We might not be nice old Bristol City anymore....

Good characters coming in who will certainly put up a fight. You need that to be successful and I often wonder if that’s been our downfall over the last few seasons.

Very good window on paper so far.

1 minute ago, redsontour said:

Many years ago, I sat on the gantry commentating on City for a few years. Over that period there was one player that we never got, who I always felt would make a huge difference, Graham Kavanagh, both when at Stoke and when at Cardiff...someone that always ran midfield, whoever he was against and whoever was beside him. I think Brunt could well be the Kavanagh we need. Here’s hoping. 

youre not roger malone are you?

1 minute ago, redsontour said:

Kavanagh was quality. Always wanted him in a city shirt.

Very good player for years particularly at this level but don’t think he’ll offer too much for us now. That being said it’s a good head to have about the place and should offer decent enough cover for Dasilva. 

Would be good to get Rowe off the wage bill now as they’re both a bit too similar for my liking.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Very good player for years particularly at this level but don’t think he’ll offer too much for us now. That being said it’s a good head to have about the place and should offer decent enough cover for Dasilva. 

Would be good to get Rowe off the wage bill now as they’re both a bit too similar for my liking.

Except that Brunt has 3 promotions to the Premier League and 269 Premier League appearances.

But I think you are right - Brunt can play a number of positions and may well take the place of Rowe, not that I'm advocating Rowe leaves.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Except that Brunt has 3 promotions to the Premier League and 269 Premier League appearances.

But I think you are right - Brunt can play a number of positions and may well take the place of Rowe, not that I'm advocating Rowe leaves.

Absolutely, I think Brunt is an upgrade on him. But in terms of positions they cover and the way they play there isn’t too much dissimilarity. I know Rowe filled in at centre back on the weekend but I’d be very surprised if that was to ever materialise in the league. Holden stated earlier that the midfield needs stripping down so it seems an obvious choice to me to try and shift Rowe on.

Whenever I’ve watched us against WBA I’ve always longed for a midfielder like Chris Brunt . Thought we had a similar player in Gary O’neil , pity that didn’t work out . Brunt could be invaluable for joe Morrell and massengo for a year , especially. 
just a feeling but we might off load Nagy now. 

Delighted by this signing and indeed by all our incomings this window, well done to all concerned. Hope that we can also welcome Steven S on loan soon.

A mate, who is a big Baggies fan, told me he still has loads to offer. Best passer of the ball in the team and a fantastic free kick. Perhaps not the marauding left winger he used to be but we have been playing him in centre midfield in ‘quarter back’ role and he is great – maybe won’t last every game but a good sub or at least a half.

Brunt’s experience and leadership qualities will be invaluable.

Anticipate a number of outgoings over the coming weeks, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sam S, KP, NE and COD departing. They are, I think, all going to struggle to feature regularly enough.

Our squad is IMO now considerably stronger than when Deano took over, I’m really looking forward to seeing how things actually work out this season.

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Just got a text off another WBA mate:

”bagged yourself a worldie there mate. I ******* love him!”

Bit weird really - we get players in and, with the exception of Mawson who has mixed comments due to his injury etc, the comments from their supporters on their forums and social media have been almost unanimous in saying they'll miss the player. 

We usually get arseholes telling us we've had a donkey sign for us.

Had/have my reservations about Holden being given the job, but this signing along with Williams, Martin and Mason is definitely the type of players that we have been missing recently- Streetwise, clever and very definitely not pushovers! Kudos to Holden, Simpson and Downing!

Welcome to City Chris!

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Had/have my reservations about Holden being given the job, but this signing along with Williams, Martin and Mason is definitely the type of players that we have been missing recently- Streetwise, clever and very definitely not pushovers! Kudos to Holden, Simpson and Downing!

Welcome to City Chris!

The acquisition big these very old,, experienced codgers??...

Ambition??...

To ensure we don't get relegated if things turn sour..

Very good player but as you would expect at his age his pace and mobility have deteriorated significantly, that's fine but will either used as someone to close out games or will need pace and runners around him.

Great experience and leadership to add to the squad, may even be touted to move into a coaching role.

I’m with everyone else on this - a great signing, but it must mean we could now field an entire team of midfield players. It obviously means that several of the fringe players have got to go, but which ones? In the current circumstances City may have to offload players at a price that would have been regarded as unacceptable last season. 

Just now, pongo88 said:

I’m with everyone else on this - a great signing, but it must mean we could now field an entire team of midfield players. It obviously means that several of the fringe players have got to go, but which ones? In the current circumstances City may have to offload players at a price that would have been regarded as unacceptable last season. 

Szmodics , Palmer, O’dowda, Eliasson , adelukan 

leaves us with. Williams, brunt, Morrell, Walsh , wiemann, pato , Nagy . 

Archived