IGNORED

Chris Brunt - Signing Confirmed

GrahamC

Well, I think we can safely rule out the reason for not giving Hughton the job being we were concerned he would have a shopping list of expensive, experienced Championship players! 

Brunt made 11 appearances last season and has come to play more games here so I'd imagine he will feature a fair bit in starting line-ups. 

Just seems the trend of blocking the pathway for youngsters is continuing, not abating. We shall wait and see I guess... 

I should add, I'm not opposed to any of the three experienced players signing, per se, just noting the direction of travel in comparison to the words of SL. 

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, I think we can safely rule out the reason for not giving Hughton the job being we were concerned he would have a shopping list of expensive, experienced Championship players! 

Brunt made 11 appearances last season and has come to play more games here so I'd imagine he will feature a fair bit in starting line-ups. 

Just seems the trend of blocking the pathway for youngsters is continuing, not abating. We shall wait and see I guess... 

I should add, I'm not opposed to any of the three experienced players signing, per se, just noting the direction of travel in comparison to the words of SL. 

It's 50 -50 so far isn't it? Two younger acquisitions in Williams and Mawson and then Martin and Brunt? I am not too worried that things have changed as we have alway added some experience every window. 

23 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's 50 -50 so far isn't it? Two younger acquisitions in Williams and Mawson and then Martin and Brunt? I am not too worried that things have changed as we have alway added some experience every window. 

Mawson's 27 in a few months, has had three seasons in the Premier League and is on a very good Championship wage. He's an experienced and expensive addition! 

Starting to think more and more that Holden is gonna make us a well organised hard to beat team. Signings seem to point to that. 

Also heard a lot of emphasis on getting the ball forward quickly in training. 

Potential low block counter attack game? We have the players to make it work. 

It's certainly one way of getting us out the league. Ironically was how I thought we would play under Hughton. 

44 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Our midfield 3 really will be a conundrum now

Elliason - probably going 
Massengo
Nagy
Paterson
Szmodics - probably going
Morrell
Palmer
Walsh
Rowe - utility player, will probably feature as a LWB/LCB
Bakinson - might yet be loaned out 
Williams
Towler - won’t play much in first team 
Wiemann - will probably mainly feature as a forward 
O'Dowda - injured
Brunt
Adelakun - probably going 

In reality it’s just 9 of those players. Strictly speaking Paterson and Palmer also play a slightly different role so it’s 6/7 CM players battling it out for 2/3 spots. 

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Mawson's 27 in a few months, has had three seasons in the Premier League and is on a very good Championship wage. He's an experienced and expensive addition! 

I read he's getting £25K a week, but then if there's no transfer fee that's about £1.3M for a season which isn't so bad.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

In reality it’s just 9 of those players. Strictly speaking Paterson and Palmer also play a slightly different role so it’s 6/7 CM players battling it out for 2/3 spots. 

Holden's revolutionary 2-8-1 formation'll blow the league apart...

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It has worked before for us getting an older player with experience, think Joe Jordan while he was still playing, Terry Cooper and more recently Wilbs. Gives the squad a better balance and his experience could be best used in the last 30 minutes of a game, especially if we're in front.

I'll see your Wilbs with a Gary O'Neill. Let's hope Brunt proves better value than he was.

I was hoping to see more emphasis on bringing through the younger players myself. 

Is it just me who is worried about stocking up on older players on big wages who were fringe players at their previous clubs? We've been down that route before and it didn't end well. 

9 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Starting to think more and more that Holden is gonna make us a well organised hard to beat team. Signings seem to point to that. 

Also heard a lot of emphasis on getting the ball forward quickly in training. 

Potential low block counter attack game? We have the players to make it work. 

It's certainly one way of getting us out the league. Ironically was how I thought we would play under Hughton. 

Which way out of the league though?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Don’t agree. We’ve got a very condensed season ahead , with more or less games every Saturday/Tuesday. No way is brunt playing the majority. Morrell , Williams and Walsh will get plenty of game time and having brunt in the dressing room will be invaluable to them all as well as massengo 

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can cover LWB- seems a more natural fit than Rowe for that position and can also slot into CM if required.

I worry about the age aspect but the versatility and the experience- and the experience of promotion as well from this level. Feels a good thing.

I have a feeling we might play more offensively down the right hand side anyway. That should suit Brunt if he’s playing LWB. Dasilva is growing into LWB but he’s played most of his career as a pure LB. Hunt seems comfortable as RWB and it seems Sessegnon has great attributes for that role. 

Will be interesting to see how we line up and how the system functions.

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Didn't realise just how experienced he is..

Together with Chris Martin, we’ve just added over 800 games of experience at Championship level or above!  I’m still intrigued where he will play, but if he still has legs (he certainly didn’t use them last season - that’s a positive btw), he certainly has the quality......⬇️⬇️⬇️

4 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

Just looked at some vids of his loads of goals from outside of box plenty of freekicks smashed in from distance to a quality signing the squad looks to have a real good balance of youth and experience really starting to feel energized  for the start of the season 

BT approves!!!

Archived