IGNORED

Chris Brunt - Signing Confirmed

GrahamC

Info from a Baggies mad mate....

Be a good acquisition if you get him – still loads to offer. Best passer of the ball in the team and a fantastic free kick. Perhaps not the marauding left winger he used to be but we have been playing him in centre midfield in ‘quarter back’ role and he is great – maybe won’t last every game but a good sub or at least a half.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-bristol-city-open-talks-to-sign-player-whos-recently-quit-west-brom/

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still trying to find the angle on this one?  Experience? Player-Coach? Downing / West Brom? Someone leaving?

Ah well, nice to have some news / rumours!

Probably a bit all of those added into it. Can see him playing the quarter back role if he was to come in.

I’m still not sure on it.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still trying to find the angle on this one?  Experience? Player-Coach? Downing / West Brom? Someone leaving?

I know it seems mad considering how many midfielders we've got. 

Maybe Deans going to play him in CB as some sort of masterstroke, he is over 6 foot.

Honestly I've got no idea how he fits in if true.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How serious is Williams’ injury? Could be a short term solution to play if missing a couple of months.

Perhaps we are looking at Brunt as an LCB option? I know he is known as an attacker but had converted to a more central and defensive midfielder the last couple years. He is vastly experienced and professional. Being 6’2 helps too. Perhaps this is a position where he can extend his career

Edit: see @RedRoss has mentioned that too. Honestly is the only way I see it making sense. Left foot and good on the ball. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

From reading between the lines of Gregor’s update / presser today, Baker is the concern...not Williams.  Fingers crossed.

Williams & Walsh minor injuries but Baker more serious and hamstring pull hence interest in taking Mawson in loan from Fulham

I think he's a bit on the old side- though he has played WB before of course.

It's a pretty demanding role, wing back...feel you ideally need both of them under 30 and maybe say 21-28, as an optimum age range.

Would be come to be cover? Likewise as an LCB in a back 3, that can be quite demanding but less so too- will a 35 year old carry the ball all that well and quickly.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think he's a bit on the old side- though he has played WB before of course.

It's a pretty demanding role, wing back...feel you ideally need both of them under 30 and maybe say 21-28, as an optimum age range.

Would be come to be cover? Likewise as an LCB in a back 3, that can be quite demanding but less so too- will a 35 year old carry the ball all that well and quickly.

It’s weird how perceptions change - a decade ago we signed Paul Hartley as a key player in a CM role at 33/34.

Now some are turning their noses up at a player only a year older.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s weird how perceptions change - a decade ago we signed Paul Hartley as a key player in a CM role at 33/34.

We never had anything like the options available in midfield that we currently do though, I don't think anyone is doubting the players ability it just seems an odd signing given the current overload of midfield players we already have.

If he does come in I think it will be as much for the experience / leadership he offers as anything else and could perhaps be a coaching role involved too.

43 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

We never had anything like the options available in midfield that we currently do though, I don't think anyone is doubting the players ability it just seems an odd signing given the current overload of midfield players we already have.

If he does come in I think it will be as much for the experience / leadership he offers as anything else and could perhaps be a coaching role involved too.

I’m talking about the objection to his age - not where he’d fit in to the team

56 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I’m talking about the objection to his age - not where he’d fit in to the team

Oh...understood, the example of Paul Hartley confused me though as he was still ability wise streets ahead of what we had at the time whereas I'm not sure thats the case with Brunt who wouldn't be coming in as a "key player". I don't have a problem with his age as such more so where does he fit into an already bloated midfield department, unless a couple go out i.e. Rowe, Szmodics and maybe one other its difficult to see the reason for signing him unless its a reaction to WIlliams being injured?

16 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Perhaps we are looking at Brunt as an LCB option? I know he is known as an attacker but had converted to a more central and defensive midfielder the last couple years. He is vastly experienced and professional. Being 6’2 helps too. Perhaps this is a position where he can extend his career

Edit: see @RedRoss has mentioned that too. Honestly is the only way I see it making sense. Left foot and good on the ball. 

I was thinking the same, but he's never played that position as far as I can see - not to say that he couldn't.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hartley was excellent. Different position though. Am assuming Brunt would be signed as predominantly a wingback in my scenario- competition or cover? While I'm at it, we can also add Wilbraham as an excellent older addition.

Just think certain positions require certain characteristics. Same reason I'd have tactical doubts about eg a high or even a medium line with an aging CB as part of it.

Wingback is a very demanding position to play though. Just think you need a certain mix of speed and stamina and does Brunt still have it?

I think Brunt would be a useful utility player for us, and I actually believe he could do a good job covering the LCB role if needed. He has a fantastic range of passing and never shirks a challenge from what I have seen of him. 

I don't think he would be a starter for us, but would come in and be a vocal leader in the dressing room and good to have around the club. 

Archived