IGNORED

Alfie Mawson- Confirmed

MC RISK77

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Usual clip-tactic compilation from jbcfc on Twitter.

Webster-esque

I remember watching him at Barnsley (used to work in Barnsley, went to games a few times a season with mates) and he always looked class (albeit at L1 level). The question for me is, what happened? And whatever has caused his career to go off the rails a bit, can we sort that out? As a loan though, this is a great move for us

We seem to be targeting a bit more experience in this window, I wonder if there's feeling at the club that there's an opportunity to take advantage of a lot of teams not having the resources to take a step forward? 

6 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Not defending Tommy or his opinions, but I work and stay in London (pre Covid anyway) Monday to Friday, and there is plenty of opportunity to watch other teams play midweek. Sitting in your room every night is boring as ****

Not everyone has to work in Bristol to support the Reds!!!

I live in Sheffield, so I go to watch other teams all the time (or I used to. Less so with kids running around now!). Doesn't mean I'm not a city fan, it's just a chance to hang out with mates and watch some footy

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Peterborough potentially with Szmodics due to Toney cash they now have, but wonder in general how easy it'll be to move on Szmodics and especially Adelakun tbh.

Bakinson we'll be able to find an interested party for on loan, Eliasson feels saleable- now we have Martin, so does Diedhiou potentially.

Been talk in the Rotherham press that they are interested in taking Adelakun back, think we might have to consider either subsidising a season long loan (his contract is up then) or let him go for free just to get him off the books. He was training with Oxford for a while but clearly they didn’t want him. His signing has been a disaster of Engvall type proportions.

Supposed to be a fair bit of interest in Szmodics, Peterborough obviously but I wouldn’t discount Ipswich, they have rejected a couple of bids approaching £4m for one of their players but if they do sell, the size of club & part of the world would suit him completely.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Alfie is obviously a very popular name currently for both dogs and human newborns... but can anyone come up with an Alfie that has played for Bristol City?

Yes. Off the top of my head... :whistle2:

Alfie Cottrell, 1933-35

Alfie Dean 1903-05

Alfie Gibson 1904-05

Alfie Matthews 1921-22

Alfie Price 1904-05

Alfie Rowles 1937-39

17 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Deffo need him if Kalas is self isolating for two weeks

Looks like only the two players that came in contact with the staff guy are having to self isolate , the others were not involved and all took negative tests before the game so fingers crossed 

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is we will sell Eliasson & Szmodics, move Adelakun (who?) on too and Bakinson will be off on loan.

The Brunt one baffles me unless Rowe leaves as well.

The brunt one makes sense to me. We have a very young midfield , to have someone with his experience could be invaluable to them even if just for a year. It’s a shame Gary O’neil got injured because in the 5-6 games he played at the start of the season , you could see the calmness he brought to the team. 

50 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Alfie Cottrell, 1933-35

Alfie Dean 1903-05

Alfie Gibson 1904-05

Alfie Matthews 1921-22

Alfie Price 1904-05

Alfie Rowles 1937-39

Anyone who can name City players from the turn of the last century off the top of their head surely deserves a blue plaque on their house.

54 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Alfie Cottrell, 1933-35

Alfie Dean 1903-05

Alfie Gibson 1904-05

Alfie Matthews 1921-22

Alfie Price 1904-05

Alfie Rowles 1937-39

Are you telling me we had 3 Alfies during the 1904/05 season but that they all left before our title winning 05/06 campaign?

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

The brunt one makes sense to me. We have a very young midfield , to have someone with his experience could be invaluable to them even if just for a year. It’s a shame Gary O’neil got injured because in the 5-6 games he played at the start of the season , you could see the calmness he brought to the team. 

I'm not sure how Brunt and Rowe co-exist.

7 minutes ago, mozo said:

Are you telling me we had 3 Alfies during the 1904/05 season but that they all left before our title winning 05/06 campaign?

Yep, a supporters' song of the time was later immortalised by Cilla Black.

'What'll we do without, Alfies'?

They needn't have worried though!

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Perhaps Rowe moves on , or DH just sees brunt as a midfielder and not cover at LWB 

I don't think we have speculated that Rowe could move on yet but if Brunt came in it would make perfect sense. Rowe might even find another (lesser) Championship team that needs some experience.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I don't think we have speculated that Rowe could move on yet but if Brunt came in it would make perfect sense. Rowe might even find another (lesser) Championship team that needs some experience.

I agree and Rowe does come across as a very good pro that would be good for the younger lads . However, ability wise , Brunt is a major step up 

Clever signing in my view, potentially addressing our biggest weakness from last season (e.g. Getting the ball up the pitch, playing out from defence). After TM was sent out on loan, we had no one capable of bringing the ball forward, making us susceptible to a high press, inevitably resulting in a hoof forward.

But feedback I've had is that he can't defend - not aggressive enough and doesn't get tight. Playing in a 5 man defence might help in that respect.

9 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Not defending Tommy or his opinions, but I work and stay in London (pre Covid anyway) Monday to Friday, and there is plenty of opportunity to watch other teams play midweek. Sitting in your room every night is boring as ****

Not everyone has to work in Bristol to support the Reds!!!

I think really go my goat about his posts on this topic, was his boasting about watching Fulham so often, and how his view on Mawson is better than anyone else’s. 

Or at least that’s how it came across to me. Although, I had drunk a pint or two last night.

COYR.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Williams, Martin, Mawson, Brunt, Sessengon/Pereira - that would be an excellent window, especially in the circumstances.

Diedhiou staying would also be fantastic. 

On paper it looks like Holden is doing something we wished Johnson/Ashton would do for ages - buy players for a set system and style of play.

And all for the here and now, strengthening today's first team. They're not punts with an eye on the future.  

Archived