IGNORED

Alfie Mawson- Confirmed

MC RISK77

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I don’t use twitter and rarely use FB so for e the OS is the official source for me,

So you happened to check the City website all on your own just after 8pm on a Sunday coincidentally a matter of minutes after it was announced......

Dr Evil Right GIFs | Tenor

Just had a gander at the Fulham forum, thankfully not a lot about his fitness or injuries - just out of form mainly.

He's had a pre-season with them with no problems so no reason to think he's got glass knees.

Just got to get him going here and regain confidence/form.

Good signing - could be great signing.

53 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

No ambition, no-one will want to sign for us, more interested in the rugby, cheap options, yes men

Or something

There is always several ways to spin things:

We’ve yet to pay a ‘major’ transfer fee for a player this summer. Let’s not act like we’ve just smashed our transfer record.

Mawson in - yes great - but there are major question marks over his injury record and he may be in large wages, but let’s not forget that those wages may well be less than what we paid for the Williams and Benkovic loans of last season.

Martin was a free and the budget was there when we didn’t pay the agreed fee for Afobe and saved on his wages too.

The only player we’ve paid a fee for is currently injured.

And we could well end up selling key players in Famara and/or Eliasson - and we’re yet to see if/how that cash will be reinvested.

Currently our squad is bolstered by 4 younger players (Vyner/Moore/Morrell/Walsh) all whom a lot of fans are putting a lot of expectation on already for this season. I hope they have great seasons but we’ve seen it before so many times before over the years, they could just as easily be flops as successes and very quickly become the fickle fans’ scapegoats.

And over all of this is still a rookie manager, yet to prove he can cut it at this level.

I’m not being negative, just saying, perhaps all this willy waving and over celebrating over a few signings needs to be put in a little perspective.

That said - a great signing if he stays fit.

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

We’ve yet to pay a ‘major’ transfer fee for a player this summer. Let’s not act like we’ve just smashed our transfer record.

Mawson in - yes great - but there are major question marks over his injury record and he may be in large wages, but let’s not forget that those wages may well be less than what we paid for the Williams and Benkovic loans of last season.

Martin was a free and the budget was there when we didn’t pay the agreed fee for Afobe and saved on his wages too.

And we could well end up selling key players in Famara and/or Eliasson - and we’re yet to see if/how that cash will be reinvested.

Currently our squad is bolstered by 4 younger players (Vyner/Moore/Morrell/Walsh) all whom a lot of fans are putting a lot of expectation on already for this season. I hope they have great seasons but we’ve seen it before so many times before over the years, they could just as easily be flops as successes and very quickly become the fickle fans’ scapegoats.

And over all of this is still a rookie manager, yet to prove he can cut it at this level.

I’m not being negative, just saying, perhaps all this willy waving and over celebrating over a few signings needs to be put in a little perspective.

Amen, best way to judge is after 10+ games. Hard to predict either way, particularly given these strange times. A lot to look forward to with solid signings, also a lot of untried/untested players @ this level, along with a rookie manager. 

30 minutes ago, Selred said:

The guy who told me isn't someone who would spout bollocks. He is a big Fulham fan and a very trusted voice too. 

Fulham fan I know also said much the same, basically that it was hilarious we sign him due to injury to Baker when he has pretty much been permanently unavailable due to injury at Fulham. 

24 minutes ago, tin said:

If Mawson’s over his injury problems, it looks a good loan signing on paper and he should slot straight into that back three with Kalas and Moore. 

No club in their right mind would pay out £25k + a week for a player if they hadn’t done the due diligence on his injury and current fitness especially knowing Baker was out for the rest of the year

9 minutes ago, INCRED said:

No club in their right mind would pay out £25k + a week for a player if they hadn’t done the due diligence on his injury and current fitness especially knowing Baker was out for the rest of the year

Dont let sound logic stand in the way of someone’s mate opinion , whatever next !

28 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yeah but the difference is we've invested during a time where some clubs are in austerity due to the pandemic. 

A lot of negativity was towards SL recently bizarrely as some sort of cheap skate because of Deans appointment and I think people are just countering that position now with these clear investments in players regardless if they came with a fee. The stature of these players will command a high ongoing wage so definitely won't be cheap. 

Its quite interesting how some on here slate people and comments from Fulham fans about Aflie's injury risk because it's not what we want to hear, yet if they were positive comments I suspect they would be praising the Fulham fans!!!

Let's just wait and see how this turns our. No doubt Mawson had the ability and a level of skill a few years ago that we need, however if his injury risk is close to the comments from a small number of Fulham fans, then we could regret this big time.

Personal I'm going to put my trust in the medical and the scouts and cross my fingers that we haven't done a Homer and added another injury prone player to the medical departments 'to do' list.

But t the same time I'm not going to slate the feedback from some Fulham fans. 

59 minutes ago, Selred said:

I wouldn't trust Osman, his opinion would be pointless. 

I'm not sure how the injury feels whilst playing, @Davefevs may be able to help, but perhaps Mawson won't train much and play through pain. After 2 more years he'd of earnt £2.4 million and could easily retire. 

No probs, when playing, it was afterwards, or after a couple of games.

He could sit around for two years if his basic is £25k ???

38 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Let’s hope you’re right and it’s not another Afobe or Velicka situation. As I said, good signing if he’s fully fit and over his injuries. Nothing negative in that to pick holes in.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

What’s it all about ?

He’s passed a medical hasn’t he ?

I am sure the club would have paid particular attention to his past injuries and taken the decision to sign him in full knowledge of the possible recurrence.

Welcome Alfie . 

I don’t know, it’s a tough one Major, who to believe? Do we go with some blokes who’s knowledge is from the terraces and no greater than ours, or medical professionals who have actual facts and personal knowledge of the situation?

It’s a dilemma...... 

Fantastic to sign him, he’s a superb player.

Surely we have the best centre backs in the division now with Mawson and Kalas?

Interesting he played every game of his second season at Swansea in the Prem and was called up to the senior England squad twice but didn’t get off the bench.

Incredible Fulham paid £20m for him as well. 

1 minute ago, Fatalist said:

He appears to have played 27 games last season. Not quite the picture painted by some.

...and was back fit at the end of the season, but Hector had come in and stole his place.  In fact Hector was on my short list last summer, and Fulham missed the deadline, so had to wait until January to sign him.

Archived