IGNORED

Alfie Mawson- Confirmed

MC RISK77

Not adding much, but also from a Fulham mate:

”Think he might be good, but can’t stay fit. Played every week until we got Hector, however we were crap before then. I think a lot depends on the quality of your other CB, but as a loan I think it’s a great option”.

Far more complimentary than he was about Woodrow...!

Just now, cider hoss rules said:

I must be the only fecker on here without a mate who supports Fulham!

They’re bleedin’ everywhere :ph34r:

17 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

He appears to have played 27 games last season. Not quite the picture painted by some.

You just had to go and ruin it by stating some facts didn't you. Don't be coming on here spouting your facts Mr!!

Did you not read all the previous comments saying that he was injury prone and never able to play!? 

On paper, signing Webster when we did was a bit more of a gamble than Mawson seems..... 

If him, Kalas and Moore can stay fit, with Williams in front of them (hopefully he isn't out for too long), and Dasilva/Hunt pushed forward a bit more, Martin coming in (think that's going to be a great signing) God dammit I may be just getting a little optimistic...... 

With that in mind, watch us sell Fam and Nic now!!!

49 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Yeah but the difference is we've invested during a time where some clubs are in austerity due to the pandemic. 

A lot of negativity was towards SL recently bizarrely as some sort of cheap skate because of Deans appointment and I think people are just countering that position now with these clear investments in players regardless if they came with a fee. The stature of these players will command a high ongoing wage so definitely won't be 

I keep hearing this ‘cheap option’ thing  about Holden but I’m not sure I’ve actually ever actually read it myself, but there we go. If it is, it’s a very small minority.

I think my, and the majority of other fans concerns/disappointment over DH i’ve read had nothing to do with money.

R.E Investment in the squad. Interestingly we’ve lost Afobe, Smith, Pereira, Williams, Benkovic, Maenpaa this summer. That’s 6 gone and what I’d guess is a significant chunk of wages.

Current transfers in are 3, so you could argue financially we might be currently paying less for those new 3 than the other 6. Our wage bill could have gone down. Who knows. Only Williams is on a long term deal. Martin is 2 years and Mawson a season loan, so neither a huge long term investment as you suggested. 

Yes great, we’ve made some signings. But as far as I can I see it’s all plugging of holes in the squad that we probably needed to regardless of austerity, so I’m not popping any champagne corks. Hopefully each are an upgrade and we’ll see where those upgrades take us. Proof’s in the pudding. 

None of this takes away from my point that this season will see a reliance on untested at this year younger players. Hopefully they shine. We will see.

R.E Austerity - quite a lot of business has been done now in the championship. Yeah the big fees aren’t flying around like they still are in the premier league, but Swansea, Norwich, Stoke at first glance look to have done some not cheap business.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

I keep hearing this ‘cheap option’ thing  about Holden but I’m not sure I’ve actually ever actually read it myself, but there we go. If it is, it’s a very small minority.

I think my, and the majority of other fans concerns/disappointment over DH i’ve read had nothing to do with money.

R.E Investment in the squad. Interestingly we’ve lost Afobe, Smith, Pereira, Williams, Benkovic, Maenpaa this summer. That’s 6 gone and what I’d guess is a significant chunk of wages.

Current transfers in are 3, so you could argue financially we might be currently paying less for those new 3 than the other 6. Our wage bill could have gone down. Who knows. Only Williams is on a long term deal. Martin is 2 years and Mawson a season loan, so neither a huge long term investment as you suggested. 

Yes great, we’ve made some signings. But as far as I can I see it’s all plugging of holes in the squad that we probably needed to regardless of austerity, so I’m not popping any champagne corks. Hopefully each are an upgrade and we’ll see where those upgrades take us. Proof’s in the pudding. 

None of this takes away from my point that this season will see a reliance on untested at this year younger players. Hopefully they shine. We will see.

R.E Austerity - quite a lot of business has been done now in the championship. Yeah the big fees aren’t flying around like they still are in the premier league, but Swansea, Norwich, Stoke at first glance look to have done some not cheap business.

Good post.

Proof will indeed be in the eating of the pudding.

On paper, Williams improves our midfield, and Mawson improves our CB3.  Martin is a sensible signing in that he can fit with any if the strikers (again on paper).

We are recruiting to a plan.  I think we look stronger...by the end of the window we will have less “clubs in the bag” hopefully.

Really happy with this, and as others have said if there is not past injury worries then happy days.

But........... I have to say that I can't quite remember a first interview permanent or loan that has unnerved me so much!

He looked like he wanted to kill someone. Maybe nerves, not great at interviews, tired? or maybe we've found a right hard'un no nonsense CB. Yes I did see him laugh in the roof video which was good, maybe someone said cheer up mate and he laughed when they fell off the roof.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Good post.

Proof will indeed be in the eating of the pudding.

On paper, Williams improves our midfield, and Mawson improves our CB3.  Martin is a sensible signing in that he can fit with any if the strikers (again on paper).

We are recruiting to a plan.  I think we look stronger...by the end of the window we will have less “clubs in the bag” hopefully.

A fully fit squad this season Dave I agree looks stronger. Especially if 1 or 2 of the youngsters really step up this season. That is exciting for me. That may change if we sell Fam (and to a certain extent Eliasson).

Despite my early strong reservations on DH, he has already begun to impress me with what he has been saying and doing, so I’m desperately hoping to be proved wrong there too.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well hopefully you are right about that opinion being a minority and I understand peoples concerns about his appointment from a footballing perspective and we don't have to bring that discussion to the surface again. When the announcement of Deans appointment was made trust me their was plenty of digs at SL for his financial commitment such comparisons to the rugby team (that just don't correlate at all in any feasible way) 

Quite a lot has been done by certain clubs but you've also correctly conceded to the fact that that the footballing economy has in the large part been supressed. That's my point regardless of outgoing's we still have invested in these times of uncertainty and backed the manager for which I'm happy with the quality of signings incoming. We could of really taken the cheap option and extended Ashley Williams. 

24 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Really happy with this, and as others have said if there is not past injury worries then happy days.

But........... I have to say that I can't quite remember a first interview permanent or loan that has unnerved me so much!

He looked like he wanted to kill someone. Maybe nerves, not great at interviews, tired? or maybe we've found a right hard'un no nonsense CB. Yes I did see him laugh in the roof video which was good, maybe someone said cheer up mate and he laughed when they fell off the roof.

I'm glad I wasnt the only thinking that he looked up for a fight.. Keep him fit he will be a great addition.

30 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

He has played over 150 games in 3 years... I don't think injuries are a big issue! 

Sod’s Law, and knowing our luck, they will be the minute he pulls on a City shirt. :shocking:

Hang on guys, Alfie Mawson is a quality player, we all know that.

It reminds me so much of when we signed a glass player called Webster and that went particularly well.

A fit Mawson is one of the best defenders in the division. Let's give him the same backing we gave Webster.

This is a great player and, as mentioned above, him along with Kalas is a massive step towards sorting one of our major problems of last season.

Welcome to BS3 Alfie, show us just how good you are pal ?

Kalas, Baker, Mawson. Imagine dreaming of that a few years ago?

5 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Hang on guys, Alfie Mawson is a quality player, we all know that.

It reminds me so much of when we signed a glass player called Webster and that went particularly well.

A fit Mawson is one of the best defenders in the division. Let's give him the same backing we gave Webster.

This is a great player and, as mentioned above, him along with Kalas is a massive step towards sorting one of our major problems of last season.

Welcome to BS3 Alfie, show us just how good you are pal ?

Kalas, Baker, Mawson. Imagine dreaming of that a few years ago?

⬆️

Be a nice Christmas present.

On 05/09/2020 at 17:07, RedorDead BCFC said:

25K a week? I thought we had no money, and why we couldn't get a decent manager? Ffs. 

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

I haven’t seen it yet, but at the end of the day he is a professional footballer, not interviewer. There are many footballers who just hate that part of the professional game.

I remember last season they put Jay Dasilva on commentary duty, and it was absolutely awful. He had nothing insightful to say, in fact, he barely had anything at all to say, and clearly was detesting being there. Made you wonder why they asked him/dragged him up in the first place. 

47 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I've got 3 Fulham supporting mates, i could lend you one of mine ?

Trinder - the online dating site to connect with Fulham fans

( will make sense only to fans of a certain age)

Archived