IGNORED

Alfie Mawson- Confirmed

MC RISK77

One thing I note in his interview is he talked about being excited by the players we want to bring in. One of them could be Martin, of course, but it implies there may be two or three still to come yet.

Personally I feel we still need a right back and another centre back at minimum. Three at the back with four centre backs until Christmas is massively risky and I’d not be confident on Rowe filling in at Championship level, even if he wasn’t also covering left wing back too...

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

One thing I note in his interview is he talked about being excited by the players we want to bring in. One of them could be Martin, of course, but it implies there may be two or three still to come yet.

Personally I feel we still need a right back and another centre back at minimum. Three at the back with four centre backs until Christmas is massively risky and I’d not be confident on Rowe filling in at Championship level, even if he wasn’t also covering left wing back too...

There may be a couple of makeshift options if we get Brunt or Pereira in, but I agree that it is looking a bit thin at the moment. There is always the option of moving to four at the back if necessary as well.

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Did Ashton casually hint that Messi had handed in a transfer request ? 

He’s a little tinker that one. 

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

There may be a couple of makeshift options if we get Brunt or Pereira in, but I agree that it is looking a bit thin at the moment. There is always the option of moving to four at the back if necessary as well.

This is true.

By my reckoning, if we do want to stick with 5-3-2, we've got 5 players who are "excess" in certain positions - Adelakun, O'Dowda, Eliasson, Szmodics and Palmer feel like the players who don't have an obvious place in the system and/or seem to have at least two players ahead of them in the position where they would most naturally play. Obviously we might want to keep attacking midfielder and wing options if we do want to be able to switch the system up but, if we choose to and are able to move players on then I don't think it is then financially impossible for us to get an RWB (maybe Pereira or Sessegnon), another LCB (maybe Phillips) and a bit more LWB/CM cover (Brunt), which I reckon would give us the cover and depth we need. 

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Hang on guys, Alfie Mawson is a quality player, we all know that.

It reminds me so much of when we signed a glass player called Webster and that went particularly well.

A fit Mawson is one of the best defenders in the division. Let's give him the same backing we gave Webster.

This is a great player and, as mentioned above, him along with Kalas is a massive step towards sorting one of our major problems of last season.

Welcome to BS3 Alfie, show us just how good you are pal ?

Kalas, Baker, Mawson. Imagine dreaming of that a few years ago?

Shame baker's legs are made from polystyrene 

51 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Of course he could also know something about the supposed interest in Sessegnon?

Purely speculation, but both contracted to Fulham. If the interest from us is legit, perhaps he knows that it may be happening?

10 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

25K a week? I thought we had no money, and why we couldn't get a decent manager? Ffs. 

Football Insider as a source is basically a load of guff. Whatever his wages are, I doubt we will ever know what proportion of the actual figure City will pay. We should just be happy the bloke has signed for us for the whole season. As for the 'decent manager' bit. That ship has long since sailed. Time to suck it up and move on.

1 minute ago, supercidered said:

Football Insider as a source is basically a load of guff. Whatever his wages are, I doubt we will ever know what proportion of the actual figure City will pay. We should just be happy the bloke has signed for us for the whole season. As for the 'decent manager' bit. That ship has long since sailed. Time to suck it up and move on.

Definitely. The club decided Holden was the best person for the job and, whether we liked that decision or not - I didn't - he is now the man in charge. It is time for him to prove that we do have a "decent manager". It's not his fault the club offered him the job and I'm willing to see how the first months of the season pan out before passing a judgement. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Definitely. The club decided Holden was the best person for the job and, whether we liked that decision or not - I didn't - he is now the man in charge. It is time for him to prove that we do have a "decent manager". It's not his fault the club offered him the job and I'm willing to see how the first months of the season pan out before passing a judgement. 

Agreed. I was fuming at the time and to be honest I'm still p!ssed off. We've all had a chance to vent our spleen's. Time to move on in hope rather than expectation in my view. This signing is a brilliant one and if we can pull in another couple of gems in this transfer window then who knows. I'd be happy with extra helpings of humble pie!

12 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

25K a week? I thought we had no money, and why we couldn't get a decent manager? Ffs. 

Tbh it's worth considering that at the time, FFP was as usual and many clubs were hemmed in. Possibly us included.

Since Holden was appointed, there has been some sort of extension, grace period- rolling up of this and last season into one, which changes the equation somewhat. Not saying it's the sole reason but it's definitely a factor to consider.

2 hours ago, supercidered said:

Yes, amazing how Football Manager, websites like Sportrac and general rumours become fact. FWIW Mawson is still paid by Fulham, they will continue to do his PAYE.  All we are doing is paying for his services.  That could be a one off fee (typically a loan fee), a set weekly / monthly amount (typically a wage contribution) plus any other bonuses due (appearance money), or a combination of all 3.  It doesn’t matter too much as long as it doesn’t blow our budgets.

3 hours ago, fishy said:

Shame baker's legs are made from polystyrene 

Very true fishy, a really good player but sooo fragile sadly.

He desperately needs a consistent run of games to justify a new contract on, I would imagine, pretty big money. Is he worth it? I'm really not sure.

42 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He desperately needs a consistent run of games to justify a new contract on, I would imagine, pretty big money. Is he worth it? I'm really not sure.

When you say consistent run of games - he played 34 games last year, and 28 of them he played 90 minutes.  He is 29, so not over the hill yet and has bags of experience. I would keep him 100%

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

When you say consistent run of games - he played 34 games last year, and 28 of them he played 90 minutes.  He is 29, so not over the hill yet and has bags of experience. I would keep him 100%

Thanks TTT, I'm quite surprised by those numbers in all honesty although I certainly don't doubt it.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, amazing how Football Manager, websites like Sportrac and general rumours become fact. FWIW Mawson is still paid by Fulham, they will continue to do his PAYE.  All we are doing is paying for his services.  That could be a one off fee (typically a loan fee), a set weekly / monthly amount (typically a wage contribution) plus any other bonuses due (appearance money), or a combination of all 3.  It doesn’t matter too much as long as it doesn’t blow our budgets.

So basically it's a good deal all round as far I see it anyway!

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Thanks TTT, I'm quite surprised by those numbers in all honesty although I certainly don't doubt it.

It was the same in 17/18 - plenty of games and plenty of 90 minutes. 18/19 is where he struggled.

Is he more or less injury prone than any other big central defender ? Im not convinced

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It was the same in 17/18 - plenty of games and plenty of 90 minutes. 18/19 is where he struggled.

Is he more or less injury prone than any other big central defender ? Im not convinced

Did he? I genuinely can’t remember if he had injury issues or was just 3rd choice behind Webster and Kalas who were exceptional.

I’ve said it enough but I don’t think he’s injury “prone” as his availability is very good. Remember a couple of his 6/7 subs were due to concussion, a couple were tactical so only a couple were big knocks that he couldn’t play through

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

According to the information I've read, he is in fact only 26, so very far from over the hill. Unless, of course, he turns out to be as crippled by injury as at least one poster has claimed, in which case he will probably take to the field with the aid of a Zimmer frame, in an attempt to earn a final contribution to his pension fund before settling down in his retirement home for the disabled.

Archived