IGNORED

Alfie Mawson- Confirmed

MC RISK77

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Can’t see that it’s a huge gamble tbf. A fit, firing, Mawson is easily PL quality. If we were signing him permanently I’d totally agree with you but it’s a loan (and likely in common with most of our loans will have an option to buy). If it works - we’ve got a quality defender at likely fraction of his last move. If it fails - we’ve lost a loan fee and wage contribution.

If you gave me the choice between Dickie (unproven at this level) on a permanent and Mawson (proven at a higher level albeit injury concerns) on a loan to buy at 26, there’s only one option for me.

Agree....Dickie is one to watch over this season.  It’s fine playing nice football from the back in a top end Lg1 side, geared up to play that way.  He might do well, but I’m reserving judgment for the mo’.  If that means we’ve missed out on a good, cheaper option, so be it.

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Kalas Mawson Baker for me. 

Even as 4th choice Moore will get plenty of chances with Baker's  injury record, never mind Mawson's.

Not sure where that leaves Vyner though. 

That's a top, top back 3 that and Moore the perfect back up option. Vyner will still get lot's of minutes too and a great option as 5th CB. Some serious strength in depth (and quality) forming across the squad now, great to see!

Just now, WirralRobin said:

That's a top, top back 3 that and Moore the perfect back up option. Vyner will still get lot's of minutes too and a great option as 5th CB. Some serious strength in depth (and quality) forming across the squad now, great to see!

Given the demands of the season, injuries and suspension there is plenty of opportunity for TM 

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Given the demands of the season, injuries and suspension there is plenty of opportunity for TM 

Absolutely! Both Moore and Vyner will get plenty of minutes. Perfect blend of youth and experience in that back 5 for me.

Love how the squad is coming together. Just an upgrade at RWB needed for me now....

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Kalas Mawson Baker for me. 

Even as 4th choice Moore will get plenty of chances with Baker's  injury record, never mind Mawson's.

Not sure where that leaves Vyner though. 

2 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Absolutely! Both Moore and Vyner will get plenty of minutes. Perfect blend of youth and experience in that back 5 for me.

Love how the squad is coming together. Just an upgrade at RWB needed for me now....

Yeah, with Baker our for weeks, maybe months, with Mawson we have 4 CBs (plus it now seems the even more versatile than we though - Tommy Rowe).

4 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Aye. Dasilva to the Left and an upgrade on Hunt to the Right and that's not too shabby at all!

Fam, Wells, Martin, Weimann up front - not too shabby either.

Get the blend right in midfield and we could be onto a winner. 

24 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Nonsense. You clearly know very little about him. Yes he’s had injury issues.. but so had Webster when he came here. He’s a genuinely quality player and would be a regular in the Prem were it not for injuries. It’s a signing of real intent imo.

Nope. In fact I bet I’ve seen him live a lot more than most, at Fulham. There is a player there, but his form and fitness have been off for a while. You wanna go hug him cos he once was good, fair play, but don’t make statements you cannot back up. 

The spine of our team looks much stronger (once completed). Mawson, Williams and Martin is fantastic business. 

If asked a few weeks ago if I was excited for the season I would have said no. However, now I am delighted with how the squad is shaping up and feel we could have a real go this year. 

Under LJ we signed good players that weren't suited to the way he set our team up. Now under Holden we are signing players who are perfectly suited to his system.

It looks like Holden knows exactly how he wants his team set up and we actually have genuine competition for places. 

15 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Nope. In fact I bet I’ve seen him live a lot more than most, at Fulham. There is a player there, but his form and fitness have been off for a while. You wanna go hug him cos he once was good, fair play, but don’t make statements you cannot back up. 

Are you a Fulham fan? Why have you seen Mawson & Fulham play so often?

Curious.

COYR.

24 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Any idea on the likely timescale if Baker's hamstring is bad one, Dave?

If its the same as the grade 3 hamstring tear that Pisano had it could be months.

If its a bad strain, then a few weeks.

I think we'll  know after the game tomorrow.

59 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

He's still only 26 and it's only two years since he was in the England squad. If it's a 12 month loan with an option to buy is it really that much of a gamble? Guessing the wages/loan fee will be similar to what we paid for Benkovic.

Definitely worth a punt for me.

Cannot see the money involved in this deal being a punt 

10 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Wow what exactly is his injury 

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

You realise that's 4 months? Hamstring is normally around 8 weeks,  I think he'll be back around early November

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Thats for a pull or strain.

If its come away from the bone, months.

Grade 3 tear on a older player, healing time plus rehab plus getting match fit. 2021 here we come.

Better scenario a 1 or 2 and we might see him back by Bonfire Night.

3 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Work in London mate, like football. I wanna be wrong cos there is a player in there, but it doesn’t look a stellar signing to me. 

Sure, OK. 
So I assume you don’t come West that often to watch us play?

I’ve got several mates who live and work in London. They also like football, but they love Bristol City more, so prefer to watch us play than any London based team.

COYR.

Archived