Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Alfie Mawson- Confirmed

3 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Deffo need him if Kalas is self isolating for two weeks

Is that on or off the pitch? 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Williams, Martin, Mawson, Brunt, Sessengon/Pereira - that would be an excellent window, especially in the circumstances.

Diedhiou staying would also be fantastic. 

On paper it looks like Holden is doing something we wished Johnson/Ashton would do for ages - buy players for a set system and style of play.

And all for the here and now, strengthening today's first team. They're not punts with an eye on the future.  

• Like 3
  • Robin 1
2 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

Clever signing in my view, potentially addressing our biggest weakness from last season (e.g. Getting the ball up the pitch, playing out from defence). After TM was sent out on loan, we had no one capable of bringing the ball forward, making us susceptible to a high press, inevitably resulting in a hoof forward.

But feedback I've had is that he can't defend - not aggressive enough and doesn't get tight. Playing in a 5 man defence might help in that respect.

Benkovic did have attributes suited to bringing the ball out but we never really saw the best of him under LJ.

Back 3 (plus wing backs) with Moore as RCB Benkovic as LCB could've brought a whole new dimension IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

SSN reporting Mawson 'close to' signing for us on 12 month loan

55 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Medical today 

He and Taylor Moore taking it in turns to bring the ball out of defence sounds good to me. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I guess as loan will end 30/6 at worst, it’s only 10 months, so nearer a £1, than £1.25m.  It all helps!

Hopefully this gets completed today. Much like Webster, if he stays fit then we’ve got ourselves a fantastic player.

He’s probably the closest we could realistically find to an attainable Webster type - and I’d have assumed Mawson would’ve been out of reach.

Really impressed if we pull this off. A serious sign of intent - not the signing of a club content to tread water.

I’m also impressed by the signings we’ve made being players to directly improve the first 11. Players for ‘now’ in other words. I liked that about the 14/15 summer window under Cotterill. First team players to fit a specific system.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Hopefully this gets completed today. Much like Webster, if he stays fit then we’ve got ourselves a fantastic player.

He’s probably the closest we could realistically find to an attainable Webster type - and I’d have assumed Mawson would’ve been out of reach.

Really impressed if we pull this off. A serious sign of intent - not the signing of a club content to tread water.

I’m also impressed by the signings we’ve made being players to directly improve the first 11. Players for ‘now’ in other words. I liked that about the 14/15 summer window under Cotterill. First team players to fit a specific system.

Yep...proven premier league player/quality(80 odd games)..

Concern is knee surgery ×2 that in total saw him out for about a year combined......that said we have to go for this bloke.

Should still be good enough at championship level even with one leg 😀...

Great signing.

But with Baker now out for a long time. Mawson and Kalas certainly not players who we can bet on staying fit.

Is it a bit of a concern that if either get an injury we may be a bit light at the back?

I rate Moore and Vyner. But still need to become more dominant in the air. Hopefully that will come.

No doubt either on the right with Kalas central and Mawson left will be fine.

Just a bit of a worry with Baker out, who I don't rate anywhere near as highly as many. But he is someone that will win balls in the air.

• Chris changed the title to Alfie Mawson- Confirmed