IGNORED

Taylor Moore

Dredd

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

I don’t think he’s let us down when called upon previously and easily good enough to be in our back 3.

For me personally, the appointment of Dean Holden only confirmed what I have thought about Steve Lansdown for the last few seasons.

So if our aim isn’t really premiership football (and it really isn’t, it’s just a ‘nice if it happens’) and more just a stable championship selling club, then let’s at least do it with our youngsters and some entertaining football.

We can carry on growing/acquiring physical assets for the owner off the field at the same time ?

You really believe that SL is happy with losing millions every year rather than having a chance at hundreds of millions coming into the club ?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He was only at City for one season but I can honestly say that in all the years Ive been attending AG he’s the best CB I’ve seen. 
He deserves to be in the PL.

Gary Collier is the best CB I've seen in a City shirt.

I always said that Webster reminded me of GC, but to my mind GC just shades it.

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

You really believe that SL is happy with losing millions every year rather than having a chance at hundreds of millions coming into the club ?

I’m waiting for a disgruntled fan to suggest that not getting to the prem is SL’s plan all along, and a part of an elaborate tax dodge/money laundering scheme he  dreamed up.  :)

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I’m waiting for a disgruntled fan to suggest that not getting to the prem is SL’s plan all along, and a part of an elaborate tax dodge/money laundering scheme he  dreamed up.  :)

You mean there is another reason ?

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course. Neither were anywhere near the class of Webster.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Beat me to it.  I missed Collier as didn’t start watching until 78 with Norman Hunter and David Rodgers.  Didn’t see much of Merrick either....but I hear he was very good too, but got injured.

I guess Collier / Merrick was the partnership in promo season?

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Really can’t see that.

I like him but think he needs to concentrate solely on being a regular in the side.

Some people thrive on the responsibility though. Even if not immediately - as long as he's in and around the XI I can see him getting the nod at some point. Cue him going on loan to Harrogate at teatime. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Beat me to it.  I missed Collier as didn’t start watching until 78 with Norman Hunter and David Rodgers.  Didn’t see much of Merrick either....but I hear he was very good too, but got injured.

I guess Collier / Merrick was the partnership in promo season?

Yes it was.

Collier is often overlooked from that team but was a class footballer. Strong and good in the air ( as was Merrick, even though he wasn’t that tall) but superb on the ball.

15 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Every day of the week.

Hunter and him were a combination we will never see the likes of again.

I agree with a few comments on here re: Taylor. I watch from afar, and maybe he needs more opportunity, but I do not think he has it. If I was in charge, I couldn’t “trust” him unfortunately. Whilst he can do some nice things, theres too many mistakes in him. Really hope he proves me and others wrong.

1 minute ago, ROSEBUD RED said:

I agree with a few comments on here re: Taylor. I watch from afar, and maybe he needs more opportunity, but I do not think he has it. If I was in charge, I couldn’t “trust” him unfortunately. Whilst he can do some nice things, theres too many mistakes in him. Really hope he proves me and others wrong.

I really do think he will prove you wrong.  I believe he has what it takes to play at a higher, and maybe the highest, level.  It’s going to be interesting to see how far he can go.

Collier and Hunter played in a different era. Only Beckenbauer brought the ball out of defence back then and I remember pundits of the time cooing about how amazing that type of CB play was.

it was 40+ years since Colliers days and the memory fades but I don’t remember him bring the ball out of defence in the way Webster did/does.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

It’s not that elaborate, it’s just not an ‘at all costs’ priority.

Thats fair enough, he owns the club and all the assets.

2 hours ago, ROSEBUD RED said:

Care to elaborate ?

I really like Taylor Moore but he needs to still physically impose himself a lot more than he currently does. The Leeds game was an eye opener when Bamford bullied him physically. He did look a lot more comfortable in some of the games after that though.

Think @Davefevs posted a graph with Moore in it in the transfer thread comparing a rumoured player to who we have. What jumped out was aerial duels with TM. He wins less than 50% of them which I think is inexcusable for a CB. From memory he is involved in more duels as well than most. So think it suggests he gets targeted in that sense. This will be masked wide in a 3 I think but his long term future in football I think needs him to become at least average in things like aerial duels. 

Hopefully his quality on the ball can be shown more this year. He is Webster lite on the ball. Doesn’t look as graceful and probably not the passing range but he can break lines with his dribbling. He can drive a pass into a forwards feet. This is where he can shine for us. I hope he does well and he should be a captain in some situation. Think someone like Kalas should be the club captain even if he is more of a lead by example type. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

I really like Taylor Moore but he needs to still physically impose himself a lot more than he currently does. The Leeds game was an eye opener when Bamford bullied him physically. He did look a lot more comfortable in some of the games after that though.

Think @Davefevs posted a graph with Moore in it in the transfer thread comparing a rumoured player to who we have. What jumped out was aerial duels with TM. He wins less than 50% of them which I think is inexcusable for a CB. From memory he is involved in more duels as well than most. So think it suggests he gets targeted in that sense. This will be masked wide in a 3 I think but his long term future in football I think needs him to become at least average in things like aerial duels. 

Hopefully his quality on the ball can be shown more this year. He is Webster lite on the ball. Doesn’t look as graceful and probably not the passing range but he can break lines with his dribbling. He can drive a pass into a forwards feet. This is where he can shine for us. I hope he does well and he should be a captain in some situation. Think someone like Kalas should be the club captain even if he is more of a lead by example type. 

BB9A62FA-DFA9-497D-8300-9AEE59A7E0E7.thumb.jpeg.4ecbec8e4bdaed68d46d5ea6ad207e81.jpeg

The average aerial duels won percentage for all Champ CBs is 56%.  Moore is 43%. He is involved in less aerial duels than the average....so I don’t think he is targeted aerially.  But it is an area he can improve.

Re Leeds, Bamford did bully him...but I thought that was one where he showed how quick he learns, because it wasn’t apparent in later games.

Moore is above average for defensive duels and duels won.

If I get some time today, I might try and build out an individual player plot, to see whether we saw better performances in certain games, or the spread, e.g. was 43% a tight spread, or were there games he was poor and others where he was good.  But this will take me some time.

I think the stats regarding Arial duals is one of the least helpful when looking at stats that show how good a player is.

What's more important is what happens to the ball after its been won.

You could win your Arial dual 100%...but the ball could go to the opposition every time...but the stat wouldn't show that.

Lots of clever defenders use their body to put the opposition off balance...leading to them winning a header, but the ball not going to where they intend.

Most Arial duals end up with the ball becoming 50/50 again.

Bailey Wright was a fantastic example of a defender who would use his body to unbalance his opposite number.

41 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think the stats regarding Arial duals is one of the least helpful when looking at stats that show how good a player is.

What's more important is what happens to the ball after its been won.

You could win your Arial dual 100%...but the ball could go to the opposition every time...but the stat wouldn't show that.

Lots of clever defenders use their body to put the opposition off balance...leading to them winning a header, but the ball not going to where they intend.

Most Arial duals end up with the ball becoming 50/50 again.

Bailey Wright was a fantastic example of a defender who would use his body to unbalance his opposite number.

You are spot on.  I was gonna use Dasilva as my example.  Gets up early, so his opponent can’t ride him.

As per usual, it’s an indicator, but the beauty lies in its context and links to other events.  The type of data pro clubs pay considerably more than I do to get!!

35 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Often by blatantly shoving the striker in the back and somehow getting away with it, to be fair. ?

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are spot on.  I was gonna use Dasilva as my example.  Gets up early, so his opponent can’t ride him.

As per usual, it’s an indicator, but the beauty lies in its context and links to other events.  The type of data pro clubs pay considerably more than I do to get!!

The dark arts are often overlooked ?

Archived