IGNORED

Taylor Moore

Dredd

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think the stats regarding Arial duals is one of the least helpful when looking at stats that show how good a player is.

What's more important is what happens to the ball after its been won.

You could win your Arial dual 100%...but the ball could go to the opposition every time...but the stat wouldn't show that.

Lots of clever defenders use their body to put the opposition off balance...leading to them winning a header, but the ball not going to where they intend.

Most Arial duals end up with the ball becoming 50/50 again.

Bailey Wright was a fantastic example of a defender who would use his body to unbalance his opposite number.

Great example.

Wright was so clever at this, remember him coming on as a sub in a game (think Baker went off injured ?) & he marked Matt Smith, instead of Flint doing so.

Smith won most of the headers but hardly any of them went to a team mate or were on goal because Wright gave him absolutely no room and totally stifled a bloke who must have been a good six inches taller.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Great example.

Wright was so clever at this, remember him coming on as a sub in a game (think Baker went off injured ?) & he marked Matt Smith, instead of Flint doing so.

Smith won most of the headers but hardly any of them went to a team mate or were on goal because Wright gave him absolutely no room and totally stifled a bloke who must have been a good six inches taller.

Exactly...

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Great example.

That was the Baker red card v QPR.  Flint was getting dominated by M.Smith.  Wright who’s started RB came into the middle and man-marked Smith who barely got a clean header.

On 03/09/2020 at 10:13, Prinny said:

Yeah and he wasn't good! That opening day performance and selection was utterly disgraceful, and probably cost us the Nketiah loan IMO! But don't want to rehash last year too much, was just saying hope we see the improvement since then!

Tbh, Leeds did that- and more- to a lot of sides last season!

I actually found that game online and watched it back during the suspension of the season for tactical trends, lessons and reasons. Better tactically, outnumbered us in central areas- Bamford had a great game- his off the ball work generally is excellent. Lot more possession, especially from say 15 mins into the first half to sometime in the 2nd.

IMO either.

If we go back 4, Moore and Kalas- this combination of our current CBs has the blend of experience and quality to play a medium or high line.

Or.

Back 3- Moore-Kalas-New Signing. Need a ball carrying LCB I think. He should definitely get a proper go this season though.

Would've been interesting to see what a back 3 of Moore-Kalas-Benkovic could've done- two fairly adventurous carriers, one RCB, one LCB either side of Kalas who isn't bad technically but definitely more conservative- but all of them stylistically and age profile the right fit for a higher line.

I recall LJ complaining early on about TM not 'sticking his head in where it hurts'. I don't have a good enough memory to say which game it was. I don't think he named him but it was obvious who he meant. 

At the time it annoyed me. Don't like to see young players called out publicly. However if the stats show an issue then I can see why he might need to focus his mind on it. 

Personally I like him as a player and would like to see him get a decent run in the team so we can see if he's got what it takes. 

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agree completely. Putting the player off of a header is almost as good as winning the header. 

I remember Flint was going to score against us in the middlesbrough game at home. A little shove by Pisano and his header went over. No doubt it would have gone in otherwise as it was going to be a sitter.

Bailey Wright was fantastic at that too. Being so strong he could just lean into a striker or give a little clever shove that wasn't enough to be given as a foul.

Taylor Moore managed to do this last season. And now looks to me to be even bigger. So I don't see why he should struggle in the air now.

....plus the game last year where Baker (unusually) allowed Bauer to climb all over him in the 3-3 (a).  Possibly a foul, but I’d rather not worry about the ref making a decision.

Important to get up early as it makes it more difficult 1) for the opponent to use you as leverage, 2) can often mean they mistime it.  As a defender it’s about making sure the opponent doesn’t get a clean header!

Looping in @spudski.

Haven't finished this yet, but here’s a sample of Moore, Baker and Diedhiou in terms of “duels”.  I’ve filtered out any game where a player played less than 30 minutes to avoid skewing some numbers (or the visual at least).  Red line and pink shading is the average, grey dots are each game, showing the spread / range of “performances” in each attribute.  If the grey dot is darker, then it’s because there are multiple games clustering the spread.  

57BA5E7E-310B-4F7C-9820-B2B857947AB9.thumb.jpeg.e02373b5c98cc3c4715056a1f0d3015b.jpeg

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

BB9A62FA-DFA9-497D-8300-9AEE59A7E0E7.thumb.jpeg.4ecbec8e4bdaed68d46d5ea6ad207e81.jpeg

The average aerial duels won percentage for all Champ CBs is 56%.  Moore is 43%. He is involved in less aerial duels than the average....so I don’t think he is targeted aerially.  But it is an area he can improve.

Re Leeds, Bamford did bully him...but I thought that was one where he showed how quick he learns, because it wasn’t apparent in later games.

Moore is above average for defensive duels and duels won.

If I get some time today, I might try and build out an individual player plot, to see whether we saw better performances in certain games, or the spread, e.g. was 43% a tight spread, or were there games he was poor and others where he was good.  But this will take me some time.

Cheers

10 hours ago, spudski said:

I think the stats regarding Arial duals is one of the least helpful when looking at stats that show how good a player is.

What's more important is what happens to the ball after its been won.

You could win your Arial dual 100%...but the ball could go to the opposition every time...but the stat wouldn't show that.

Lots of clever defenders use their body to put the opposition off balance...leading to them winning a header, but the ball not going to where they intend.

Most Arial duals end up with the ball becoming 50/50 again.

Bailey Wright was a fantastic example of a defender who would use his body to unbalance his opposite number.

Agree with all that. I just felt it showed he doesn’t physically impose himself as much as he could. There is some eye test to that as well with Taylor Moore. I don’t think it makes him a bad player by any means. On the contrary, I think if he did become a bit more aggressive it might make him that much better because he does things like read the game well and has good attributes on the ball. Want him to succeed but just a bit wary that he could be exposed if he were to play 40 games. But as dave said he learns very fast and think someone said the scouts said Flint was like a goldfish. The bigger the pond the bigger he would be become. Taylor Moore I think fits that analogy. 

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I recall LJ complaining early on about TM not 'sticking his head in where it hurts'. I don't have a good enough memory to say which game it was. I don't think he named him but it was obvious who he meant. 

At the time it annoyed me. Don't like to see young players called out publicly. However if the stats show an issue then I can see why he might need to focus his mind on it. 

Personally I like him as a player and would like to see him get a decent run in the team so we can see if he's got what it takes. 

Pretty  sure it was Ipswich away.

On 03/09/2020 at 11:02, And Its Smith said:

Vast majority of Taylor’s games for us was played in league one.  Much easier to look great in league one 

I'm not debating that but for me he was a rock in a very weak team, he commanded his area more than any other CB ever has at this club, he took control. I honestly cannot think of another CB who has had that quality since him, he was a leader at the back, something that is rare these days.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I'm not debating that but for me he was a rock in a very weak team, he commanded his area more than any other CB ever has at this club, he took control. I honestly cannot think of another CB who has had that quality since him, he was a leader at the back, something that is rare these days.

Don’t disagree. He was one of a kind. Seen a fair few fans say he was the best centre back of recent years which is obviously untrue.  I think a lot of people forget he was excelling in league one.  I loved him though 

Taylor is an intelligent player, last season he played well when called upon. However after only one bad game LJ seemed to lose faith in him. Not good for any young players development. DH new assistants know him well from the England set up so hopefully he can kick on this season and shine along side Kalas & Mewson 

Archived