IGNORED

Chris Martin : Confirmed as signed

Rocky

2 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Not hugely tall, poor recent goalscoring record, wrong end of age, lacks speed.

What am I missing?

Head over to the transfer sub-forum.....pretty positive bunch over there.

Goals per minute decent....and he assists a lot too.  Clever, technical forward.

45 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Like others I’d be more than happy if CM joined us. I remember Flint being asked who his most difficult opponent was and he reckoned it was Chris Martin............:cool2:

Marin has earned a very decent living with moving clubs so frequently- a very decent signing on fee each time. 

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that

Always someone I was glad to not see in the line up when we've played against his teams down the years

Really do think this is a great signing. Not flashy, not overly eye catching - but someone, with a huge experience of this division, who can come in and make a difference from day 1

Williams and Martin - two wonderful players to start the DH era. Well done all

Reminds me of Mark Hughes. Very rarely see a defender go through him. Absolute master of sticking his backside out and making a solid base. Great first touch and brings others into play. Doesn’t run the channels too often which is a good thing and will hopefully discourage hopeful clips over the top. 

For me, a lot comes down to whether he is joining as another striking option or as a replacement for Fam. If the plan is to have Fam, Wells, Martin and Weimann as our striking options next year then that's a variety of options as Chris Martin is as good a signing as a "squad" striker as I'd have hoped for.

If, on the other hand, Fam is leaving and Martin is going to be first choice then I'd be a bit underwhelmed but we'll have to see what happens...

Here is another interesting take from a Derby fan. All throughout the forum the Derby fan's seem consistent in praising his link up play with midfield and fellow strikers. I'm very excited to see him link up with Wells and to a lesser extent Weimann.

Walsh, Morrell, Paterson, Palmer, Williams etc in midfield would definitely be the 'intelligent pivot' seen as key to potentially getting the best out of him mentioned here too.

image.thumb.png.ca63db1001258b4068bfbecc1c1ef25b.png

7 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

What am I missing?

Basically could have said all that (bar height) for wilbs, look how that turned out. 

Championship experience and know how is invaluable for us, we're lacking in it so much. He'll help with that massively

5 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

What am I missing?

1.84m tall or over 6'  in old money - tall enough I would say and 3 or 4 inches taller than Wells.

11 goals and 6 assists from 25 starts last season (10 subs) - not bad at all, involved in 17 goals

He's 32 next month - bags of experience and he isn't a wing back or midfielder so not knackered

He aint that fast, but he aint the slowest - on a par with Fam I'd say.

Good for a couple of years imo.

Archived