IGNORED

Chris Martin : Confirmed as signed

Rocky

23 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He's an old fashioned target man type no? Good in the air, holding the ball up and strong. Remember seeing him play for Derby and thinking he hardly moved. If your planning on pressing high up the pitch probably not the ideal striker. 

If you’re only going to play one way all season teams will soon cotton on to that......

5 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Not hugely tall, poor recent goalscoring record, wrong end of age, lacks speed.

What am I missing?

Today’s episode of countdown?

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He's not a target man - theres a post on here showing his play, have a gander.

Whoscored.com disagrees and is one of the best resources online to be honest. I've seen him play a few times target man is exactly how I would describe him. How would you describe him? 

2 very good signings for us so far. Total of £1.25m spent and 2 players who improve us. 

Williams is a fantastic player in a position which needed improving. And now Martin who has years of experience competing at the top end of the championship, whilst also offering us a physical presence up top who can chip in with goals and assists. Very happy with our 4 strikers.

I think Martin speaks very well as well. Understands the competition for places and seems to be ready to fight for his chance.

Credit to Ashton and Holden so far this window, hopefully more positive incomings to follow.

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If you’re only going to play one way all season teams will soon cotton on to that......

Let's be honest most the top sides in the world play one way. If for example Man City and Liverpool make any changes they are normally pretty minor. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So you don’t see the benefit of having a different option because Sheffield United didn’t need it?

I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Having a preferred system can help your players. LJ yoyo'd around between formations which certainly didn't seem to help consistency. 

7 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I always rated him when he was at Derby 

Surprised that no Premier league club ever took a chance on him. Guessing he's one of those that's good in the championship but that's as far as he'll go. 

Good signing in my book. 

Agree , think this is a good signing , the ball will stick with him , if we’re going to play a three in central midfield he’ll hopefully have runners off of him. Always been impressed when seen him play for Fulham & Derby 

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Having a preferred system can help your players. LJ yoyo'd around between formations which certainly didn't seem to help consistency. 

LJ got the clubs in the bag theory from his Dad which isn’t quite the same as having a plan B. We ended up on Plan Z!!

Seems a good addition.

Runners as others have said, decent technically- seems to hold it up well. Mix of goals and assists suggests a fairly rounded striker- get the impression he could play in a 2 or leading the line, that versatility is positive for us,

His record in any given season seems a bit feast or famine- either a fine impressive season or not a lot. However his overall ability, his experience at the top end of Championship, the competition for places- this feels a very positive signing.

8 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Whoscored.com disagrees and is one of the best resources online to be honest. I've seen him play a few times target man is exactly how I would describe him. How would you describe him? 

I recommend taking a look @Day's brilliant post on page 8 for a really interesting Derby fan perspective on what type of player he is. Definitely not your traditional lump it long, will win everything in the air type target man from everything I've seen and heard of him through the years but he's very good with the ball in to his feet and linking up the play.

Archived