IGNORED

Chris Martin : Confirmed as signed

Rocky

32 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Whoscored.com disagrees and is one of the best resources online to be honest. I've seen him play a few times target man is exactly how I would describe him. How would you describe him? 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not a target man :)

If you’re thinking targetman in the Robbie Turner / Mick Harford mould, then that’s not Martin’s game.  If you’re thinking targetman in the sense if a target to play shorter, lower passes, someone to give and go off of, then yes he’s a target man.  He’s not one to pump percentage long balls to, if that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

If you’re thinking targetman in the Robbie Turner / Mick Harford mould, then that’s not Martin’s game.  If you’re thinking targetman in the sense if a target to play shorter, lower passes, someone to give and go off of, then yes he’s a target man.  He’s not one to pump percentage long balls to, if that makes sense.

Nor is Fammy but it doesn't seem to stop them trying it.

30 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I recommend taking a look @Day's brilliant post on page 8 for a really interesting Derby fan perspective on what type of player he is. Definitely not your traditional lump it long, will win everything in the air type target man from everything I've seen and heard of him through the years but he's very good with the ball in to his feet and linking up the play.

My main point is that he's not suited for a high pressing game. Sounds like if your gonna play a low block with runners from midfield he's a good signing. 

Just pointing out his signing goes against what Holden has been saying a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nor is Fammy but it doesn't seem to stop them trying it.

I saw a few moments in games under Holden where Famara looked like what I thought we were getting.

Under LJ he was used as a "presence" and had to learn that role.

If DH can get him playing as he was in France we'll see a completely different player imo.

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Martin and Brunt are the Championship equivalents of Wilbraham and Elliott IMO.

I hope your right it didn't turn out to bad last time. I think back over the nearly 40 years of supporting City that we always had an experienced spine to the team with younger players. The team in 1990 had Shelton, Shaun Taylor under Ward, Carey under GJ and like you said Wilbs & Wade under Cotts.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I saw a few moments in games under Holden where Famara looked like what I thought we were getting.

Under LJ he was used as a "presence" and had to learn that role.

If DH can get him playing as he was in France we'll see a completely different player imo.

I agree.  He looked a lot more free in his movement rather than just occupying CBs.

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

The interviewer says to him "There is competition in terms of the striking spots with Famara Diedhiou, Nakhi Wells and your old Derby team mate Andrea's Wiemann"

He might just have let the cat out the bag there :fingerscrossed: 

Or deliberately throwing us off the scent!

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

We have Fammy if we want to play that way?

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We have Fammy if we want to play that way?

Diedhiou is no more a target man than Martin - he's had to learn that game since coming here.

Mentioned it earlier in the thread, having seen how he played in France (admittedly only from clips) it is nothing like how LJ played him.

Hope DH gets the best out of him.

1 hour ago, Day said:

Wish him all the luck with you lot, there was talk of drinking issues, being banned from all pubs in Norwich when he joined but ignore that nonsense, we have never had any issues with him off the pitch, seems like a great guy and should be no issues for you at all.

Much appreciated information from the other side, thanks for taking the time to post here.

Derby had a well publicised drinking incident last year, was Martin culpable in any way in that?

42 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Remember watching him play for Norwich back in 2009 when they played Paulton Rovers in the 1st round of the FA Cup. He scored 4 that day.

You saying that made me think of this guy :clap:

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think his best performances for us have mainly been on his own usually away from home, doing the target man role for the side.

Maybe so and he can now play that game, but when you look at his game in France, I really thought we were getting a much stronger, albeit not as quick, version of Kodjia. When he comes deep for the ball, which he didn't do under LJ but I saw flashes of under Holden, then turns and faces the defence, rather than have his back to the defence, he is at his best imo. As a "target man" he is virtually static - probably more to do with LJ than him.

Anyway, he's probably out of here soon.

Archived