IGNORED

Chris Martin : Confirmed as signed

Rocky

5 hours ago, WirralRobin said:

Here is another interesting take from a Derby fan. All throughout the forum the Derby fan's seem consistent in praising his link up play with midfield and fellow strikers. I'm very excited to see him link up with Wells and to a lesser extent Weimann.

Walsh, Morrell, Paterson, Palmer, Williams etc in midfield would definitely be the 'intelligent pivot' seen as key to potentially getting the best out of him mentioned here too.

image.thumb.png.ca63db1001258b4068bfbecc1c1ef25b.png

That's me ?

Chris Martin, wow, I will share with you our poll results after the news broke that he left us.

Screenshot-2020-09-03-at-18-41-02.png

He divides opinion as you can see but only recently, as I mentioned in that post, 13/14 was prime Chris Martin and what a player he was for us, I say was as McClaren built his team around him, when McClaren returned to the club later he was on loan at Fulham and we had all that drama of him wanting him back at the club and signing a new deal.

If you have midfield runners that will get beyond him, he's a great player to have, he's not going to run the channels, he won't cover a great deal of ground on the pitch, but he's intelligent, will lay the ball off, spot a pass, and link up play between the midfield and your forwards.

His 20 goals a season might be a bit beyond him now down to the games he can play, on his return from Fulham he had a few health issues, stomach related that saw him shift a bit of weight, he's not quite looked the same, needs to be used sparingly, wouldn't cope with the Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday hectic Championship schedule.

He's almost a number 10 in some ways, will occupy that space and rarely venture outside which can be frustrating at times, if you're on the back foot he will likely be stood there hands down his shorts admiring the view unlike Weimann who will still be running around the pitch an hour after full time if you would let him and that's where he may divide opinion somewhat with your fans as well.

Don't be fooled by his stature, he's not great in the air and will go to the ground with the lightest of touches, you won't see him rolling around the floor grabbing random body parts looking like he's off in a wheelchair like your Johnny Foreigners though. Just sort of sit there arms up in the air pleading for the ref to give a free kick. 

Rumour has it he wanted more years than what we was willing to offer, that's why he left, Cocu wanted him to stay so it's slightly surprising he's left as our owner tends to back the manager all the way which is why we saw Will Hughes leave for peanuts.

He's given us some great memories over the years, will go down as a bit of a hero and we have a few nostalgic fans that have found it difficult to move on from 13/14 where we was tearing teams a new one with him as a pivot.

Wish him all the luck with you lot, there was talk of drinking issues, being banned from all pubs in Norwich when he joined but ignore that nonsense, we have never had any issues with him off the pitch, seems like a great guy and should be no issues for you at all.

• The title was changed to Chris Martin in talks - Now on the roof and signed
  • The title was changed to Chris Martin : Confirmed as signed
21 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He's an old fashioned target man type no? Good in the air, holding the ball up and strong. Remember seeing him play for Derby and thinking he hardly moved. If your planning on pressing high up the pitch probably not the ideal striker. 

He's not a target man - theres a post on here showing his play, have a gander.

Great signing, especially on a free. I thought the whole point of the Gavin and Stacey tweet was a cringe moment but in a good way. Think people need to lighten up a little. Seems people want to bash the club no matter what they do. The amount of Coldplay references I’ve seen since the Chris Martin rumours began made it an obvious choice (maybe too obvious). 

Archived