Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Chris Martin : Confirmed as signed

21 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He's an old fashioned target man type no? Good in the air, holding the ball up and strong. Remember seeing him play for Derby and thinking he hardly moved. If your planning on pressing high up the pitch probably not the ideal striker. 

He's not a target man - theres a post on here showing his play, have a gander.

• Thanks 1

Great signing, especially on a free. I thought the whole point of the Gavin and Stacey tweet was a cringe moment but in a good way. Think people need to lighten up a little. Seems people want to bash the club no matter what they do. The amount of Coldplay references I’ve seen since the Chris Martin rumours began made it an obvious choice (maybe too obvious). 

• Like 8
23 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He's an old fashioned target man type no? Good in the air, holding the ball up and strong. Remember seeing him play for Derby and thinking he hardly moved. If your planning on pressing high up the pitch probably not the ideal striker. 

If you’re only going to play one way all season teams will soon cotton on to that......

5 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Not hugely tall, poor recent goalscoring record, wrong end of age, lacks speed.

What am I missing?

Today’s episode of countdown?

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Maybe O'Leary will be our homegrown player that allows him to go on loan? 

Max, Vyner, Morrell, Jojo, Massengo counts as club developed... yeah we've got a few options

• Thanks 1

I always rated him when he was at Derby 

Surprised that no Premier league club ever took a chance on him. Guessing he's one of those that's good in the championship but that's as far as he'll go. 

Good signing in my book. 

5 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Given his age, Martin is an old Kodja.

Our next signing will probably be Zimmermanframe from Norwich

Just now, robin_unreliant said:

Of course - forgot about Morrell and Vyner. Spoilt for choice this season! Didn't realise HNM counted after just one year. 

A year at the club under 19 or under think the rule is

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

He's not a target man - theres a post on here showing his play, have a gander.

Whoscored.com disagrees and is one of the best resources online to be honest. I've seen him play a few times target man is exactly how I would describe him. How would you describe him? 

Just now, MATT BCFC said:

Whoscored.com disagrees and is one of the best resources online to be honest. I've seen him play a few times target man is exactly how I would describe him. How would you describe him? 

Not a target man :)

2 very good signings for us so far. Total of £1.25m spent and 2 players who improve us. 

Williams is a fantastic player in a position which needed improving. And now Martin who has years of experience competing at the top end of the championship, whilst also offering us a physical presence up top who can chip in with goals and assists. Very happy with our 4 strikers.

I think Martin speaks very well as well. Understands the competition for places and seems to be ready to fight for his chance.

Credit to Ashton and Holden so far this window, hopefully more positive incomings to follow.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If you’re only going to play one way all season teams will soon cotton on to that......

Let's be honest most the top sides in the world play one way. If for example Man City and Liverpool make any changes they are normally pretty minor. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So you don’t see the benefit of having a different option because Sheffield United didn’t need it?

I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Having a preferred system can help your players. LJ yoyo'd around between formations which certainly didn't seem to help consistency. 

7 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I always rated him when he was at Derby 

Surprised that no Premier league club ever took a chance on him. Guessing he's one of those that's good in the championship but that's as far as he'll go. 

Good signing in my book. 

Agree , think this is a good signing , the ball will stick with him , if we’re going to play a three in central midfield he’ll hopefully have runners off of him. Always been impressed when seen him play for Fulham & Derby 

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm just saying it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Having a preferred system can help your players. LJ yoyo'd around between formations which certainly didn't seem to help consistency. 

LJ got the clubs in the bag theory from his Dad which isn’t quite the same as having a plan B. We ended up on Plan Z!!

Seems a good addition.

Runners as others have said, decent technically- seems to hold it up well. Mix of goals and assists suggests a fairly rounded striker- get the impression he could play in a 2 or leading the line, that versatility is positive for us,

His record in any given season seems a bit feast or famine- either a fine impressive season or not a lot. However his overall ability, his experience at the top end of Championship, the competition for places- this feels a very positive signing.

• Like 1