IGNORED

The end of the match day programme is in sight

Never to the dark side

Would be better if clubs make their programmes a free magazine and fund it with advertising, with a guaranteed circulation of the gate number per game would be easy to sell ad space.

Cant imagine they get much of a return on current system, I assumed it was a requirement they produced a programme?

I haven't bought a programme since Man City away.

They are pretty much useless for information...as it's all produced online.

However...for some...it's like downloading a piece of music or owning a Vinyl record.

It brings back memories and is collectable... Also tactile. A lost art.

Once it's gone...people will miss it. It's as traditional as visiting a pre match boozer and having a pie.

1 hour ago, sinenomine said:

Is this Derby getting creative with FFP again?

We're also launching a unique one of a kind special edition program for £50 million.

You can't talk about going rate, because it's a special one of a kind edition, and who knows, it might even go up in value after purchase? Who is the EFL to value art? Isn't it worth what someone will pay?

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

I haven't bought a programme since Man City away.

They are pretty much useless for information...as it's all produced online.

However...for some...it's like downloading a piece of music or owning a Vinyl record.

It brings back memories and is collectable... Also tactile. A lost art.

Once it's gone...people will miss it. It's as traditional as visiting a pre match boozer and having a pie.

The only thing I miss is the back page and the opposition pages.  But I do that research myself these days.

Let's face it programmes originated so that spectators could see which players were taking part that day. Now the entire squad of both clubs is listed and the starting XI are announced over the P/A. So yes; like others I expect programmes to disappear in a few years.

In the early 70's Derby experimented by making their programme into a tabloid news paper and selling it in local pubs on the Friday night to attract possible extra spectators.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Let's face it programmes originated so that spectators could see which players were taking part that day. Now the entire squad of both clubs is listed and the starting XI are announced over the P/A. So yes; like others I expect programmes to disappear in a few years.

In the early 70's Derby experimented by making their programme into a tabloid news paper and selling it in local pubs on the Friday night to attract possible extra spectators.

Can you remember the names of the opposition players? I can't.

Often an opposition player is playing well, that I don't recognise...and I'll have to Google or ask who it is.

I'd like a team sheet available to everyone who wants one. You usually get one on non first team games.

54 minutes ago, spudski said:

Well that's a massive mistake if they've got rid of those...those are probably the most important pages.

Sorry, wasn’t well worded, I meant at the point I stopped buying them, those were the only pages I really read...as everything I’d already read online.

3 hours ago, lanceloto said:

Would be better if clubs make their programmes a free magazine and fund it with advertising, with a guaranteed circulation of the gate number per game would be easy to sell ad space.

Cant imagine they get much of a return on current system, I assumed it was a requirement they produced a programme?

Last time I got a programme (either the Man U or Man C games) there was already a shed load of advertising in it. It's just a revenue stream for the club so they aren't really looking to max out distribution. I think your idea might work for a digital version.

You may be right John,@Never to the dark side but will be sad when /if that happens. Have got thousands in my loft from collecting as a kid, all clubs not just City, Internationals, FA Cup Finals, going back to the 40's (long time before I was born I might add).

My favorite is about 10 Workington Town all from the same game, their last in the football league, snapped them up from Beryl in the club shop thinking they'd eventually be worth a fortune, don't think it panned out that way.

17 hours ago, lanceloto said:

They trialed it in 2010. Free programme for the Cardiff game that ended in a 6-0 loss and multiple paper aeroplanes made from the programmes ending up on the pitch.

19 minutes ago, bcfcshorey said:

They trialed it in 2010. Free programme for the Cardiff game that ended in a 6-0 loss and multiple paper aeroplanes made from the programmes ending up on the pitch.

That and actual home programmes, I remember a Cardiff player getting at least a dozen lobbed at him as he was taking his time over a throw in late in the game.

Collecting football programmes is definitely a generational divide, us old boys use to lovingly buy "interesting " programmes store away in shoe boxes whilst dreaming of the fortune which would materialise when sold in later life as they appreciated in value and rarity.

Having said that had all the Beatles singles but turned those into ashtrays at the behest of Blue Peter.

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

You may be right John,@Never to the dark side but will be sad when /if that happens. Have got thousands in my loft from collecting as a kid, all clubs not just City, Internationals, FA Cup Finals, going back to the 40's (long time before I was born I might add).

My favorite is about 10 Workington Town all from the same game, their last in the football league, snapped them up from Beryl in the club shop thinking they'd eventually be worth a fortune, don't think it panned out that way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=1977+WORKINGTON+'REDS'+LAST+2+FOOTBALL+LEAGUE+PROGRAMMES%2C+BOTH+v+NEWPORT+COUNTY

You could possibly buy a few game passes if you flog them now!!! ?

This will be another fracture between the modern clubs and their fans. Clubs (including Bristol City) don't really care about us apart from when we are asked to buy season tickets. If clubs don't have to communicate with their fans they won't. Some may not care about the programme but its loss will be felt as all the clubs energy will go into matchday hospitality and overpriced club shirts. One positive thought ... the supporters club could take over producing the programme with supporters writing articles (a bit like a fanzine). The match programme is a physical link to a match which may be memorable for many various reasons.

I must have Alan Walsh’s autograph on my programme at least 15 times back from the 84/85 season when I stood in the East End.Me and my mate Nige used to get in the ground early with our over done chips from the Chinese by the Rising Sun and watch the players warm up.Alan always came over.I never got Glyn Riley’s though gutted.

I met Alan Walsh a few yrs later in Parkside when him and the other players had been doing a tv thing for htv before the forest semi final.Proper gent.John Bailey was steaming but in a funny way.

Archived