IGNORED

Eliasson - Departure confirmed

Lew-T

Just now, ReggyRed said:

Wouldn’t be a huge loss IMO, especially if we are planning to play 352. Always thought he was better off the bench, gets found out after the fullbacks have seen him do his step over and cross it a few times.

About the only exciting player we have.

Probably a very good move all-round I think this. Of course in an ideal world we'd keep him as he'd be an ideal plan B when chasing games and an interesting alternative option in the midfield 3 but with the sheer amount of competition for places in there he wouldn't even be in my top 5 for those 3 midfield slots so if we can cash in for him now I certainly would.

I wish him all the best and look forward to seeing what he can do in the prem.

7 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

To be honest I won’t be too sad to see him go. Decent left whip on the lad after a couple of step overs but doesn’t really add anymore than that.

Doesn’t get into goal scoring positions enough.

It's hard when you are in and out of the team all the time. He has been badly managed.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

To be honest I won’t be too sad to see him go. Decent left whip on the lad after a couple of step overs but doesn’t really add anymore than that.

Doesn’t get into goal scoring positions enough.

One we can live without imho.  Might come back to bite me on the arse, but if it’s Villa, MA will be looking forward to taking some “wedge” off them.  With it being Villa can see us getting more than £5m (plus add-ons)...which I think will be good business.  Was worried he might go to a better Champ side with less money.

He's strong in the areas that are really difficult to coach (quick feet, pace, ridiculous delivery) and weak in the areas that are very coachable (defensive positioning, creating angles, getting into goalscoring positions).

That he doesn't walk into our team, as one of the division's leading assist makers, is as much our failing as his.

Some games he seemed like the only bit of flair we had on the pitch. Losing him will also feel like we have one less game changer on the bench.

I'll be sad to see him go, but for all we know he may have asked to leave. If he makes Brunt & Martin financially possible then It feels less bitter more sweet 

9 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

Wouldn’t be a huge loss IMO, especially if we are planning to play 352. Always thought he was better off the bench, gets found out after the fullbacks have seen him do his step over and cross it a few times.

The same was said about the Walshy shuffle and the Waddle shuffle - looked pretty basic, but they did it time after time.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

One we can live without imho.  Might come back to bite me on the arse, but if it’s Villa, MA will be looking forward to taking some “wedge” off them.  With it being Villa can see us getting more than £5m (plus add-ons)...which I think will be good business.  Was worried he might go to a better Champ side with less money.

If its Villa, they'll pay way over the odds - they always do :)

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

He's strong in the areas that are really difficult to coach (quick feet, pace, ridiculous delivery) and weak in the areas that are very coachable (defensive positioning, creating angles, getting into goalscoring positions).

That he doesn't walk into our team, as one of the division's leading assist makers, is as much our failing as his.

The previous managers masterful tactics failure than ‘ours’ to be fair.

Either way we have way to many players and we are bringing four in. Something gotta give and the smart money was always on Elliason moving. 

May also be why we are in for Brunt who's delivery from the left is probably better than Eliasson's just doesn't have the pace and tricks to go with it. That being said NE does go missing for large parts of games and has failed to nail down a starting spot be it through his or LJ's fault.

WIth a year left on his deal if he isn't going to extend his contract then its best we get a sizeable fee and sell-on for him

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Good comments.  He’s the most likely along with Fam to generate funds.  As a non-regular, with 10 months left on his contract, under a head-coach who doesn’t play wingers, it sounds like perfect time to move him on.

Totally get those who disagree.  I don’t dispute his skills.

15 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

They’ve seen him do it but they can’t stop him.

He normally has two or three defenders on him when he’s in possession.

He is the most exciting player to watch at the club and I will be sad when he’s gone. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Good comments.  He’s the most likely along with Fam to generate funds.  As a non-regular, with 10 months left on his contract, under a head-coach who doesn’t play wingers, it sounds like perfect time to move him on.

Totally get those who disagree.  I don’t dispute his skills.

Ultimately, if we win promotion using 3-5-2 then I'll be proved wrong, obviously! But, if we don't, I'll still be questioning it in 12 months time because I just think he's the sort of player a mid-table club like us should be building a team around if we want to get anywhere.

Just now, The Journalist said:

Ultimately, if we win promotion using 3-5-2 then I'll be proved wrong, obviously! But, if we don't, I'll still be questioning it in 12 months time because I just think he's the sort of player a mid-table club like us should be building a team around if we want to get anywhere.

I reckon the switch to 3-5-2 is a bigger gamble than people think, but time will tell if I'm just being too worrisome.

If we can get £5m and a hefty sell on clause I'm happy. Think he has the potential to secure us a future windfall (similar to Bolasie) off the back of a good season in the Prem. Especially at a club like Villa, where he can get picked up by a bigger Prem club or from abroad. 

By selling Eliasson, we will have covered the cost of Joe Williams, and may be able to re-invest the rest of the money in a solid LCB. 

I don't think we have seen the best of him and would be sad to see him go. However we have to protect ourselves if he won't sign a new deal. 

Archived