IGNORED

Eliasson - Departure confirmed

Lew-T

36 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Thanks for that, Dave. Interesting - and mildly surprising - figures, though I am of that school of thought that considers an over-reliance on stats to be a questionable method of assessing a player's worth. Very useful to have access to this stuff, of course, otherwise you're in danger of going to the other extreme and relying purely on subjective perception, which is arguably even more dodgy, but I think it important to take a balanced approach. The stats have to be given some context, a good example of which is one you have just provided yourself by pointing out LJ's habit of playing Eliasson on the right (if indeed he played him at all), which in my view substantially reduces the effectiveness of his crossing, irrespective of how accurate it might be: it's simple an inherently less dangerous angle from which to deliver the ball. 

Anyway, all a bit academic now, as he's clearly on his way out, whether it be sooner or later. I fear we've let a valuable asset slip through our fingers, in a way, without ever making the most of what he had to offer.

I’ve spent a lot of time during lockdown (being out of contract) to really revisit my data.  Little things like being able to fine tune it by minutes played in games, compare this season’s data to last season’s, both players and team.

Interestingly if I filter Eliasson’s data by games where he’s played less than 30 minutes (predominantly games he comes on as sub)....his crosses per 90 goes up to 7.8, and accuracy to 71%.  Thats accuracy increase is staggering imho.  Suggests he’s a very effective sub against tiring defences.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve spent a lot of time during lockdown (being out of contract) to really revisit my data.  Little things like being able to fine tune it by minutes played in games, compare this season’s data to last season’s, both players and team.

Interestingly if I filter Eliasson’s data by games where he’s played less than 30 minutes (predominantly games he comes on as sub)....his crosses per 90 goes up to 7.8, and accuracy to 71%.  Thats accuracy increase is staggering imho.  Suggests he’s a very effective sub against tiring defences.

For once subjective impression (well, mine, anyway) and objective stats actually do coincide. However, while plenty of people would probably have guessed at his success as an impact sub, what most wouldn't have predicted, myself included, is the magnitude of the difference you point out. That is, as you say, a quite startling statistic.

I am starting to wonder if we'll see him in a City shirt again. All the emphasis on 3-5-2 that we keep hearing about suggests his chances of selection are slim, and the new signings clearly mean we have to offload - and substantially at that. I have a feeling he'll be out the door soon.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Don't know if Villa rumours were true. Or Burnley being previously interested. Lazio, Fenerbace and whoever else.

But if it is not a prem or top european side then it wouldn't surprise me if Brentford came in for him. 

I think he'd suit being wide of a front 3 they go with. 

Interesting notion. Hadn't thought of that one. Not a bad shout, actually.

1 minute ago, CliftonCliff said:

For once subjective impression (well, mine, anyway) and objective stats actually do coincide. However, while plenty of people would probably have guessed at his success as an impact sub, what most wouldn't have predicted, myself included, is the magnitude of the difference you point out. That is, as you say, a quite startling statistic.

I am starting to wonder if we'll see him in a City shirt again. All the emphasis on 3-5-2 that we keep hearing about suggests his chances of selection are slim, and the new signings clearly mean we have to offload - and substantially at that. I have a feeling he'll be out the door soon.

Yep, stats can paint a different picture sometimes.

35 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

Don't forget Liam Walsh, I would put him in the Pato/Palmer "type" of player.

Also the only way were are going to persuade him to sign a new contract is if he gets a decent amount of playing time. Of course he'll need to earn that playing time too.

COYR.

Changed my mind since I wrote that tbh . He’s obviously not at the level Dean wants 

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Holden did actually say last night that Eliasson can play wing back.

Yes he did, and they are waiting to hear back re the contract offer ?  DH appears to want to keep NE but like many here I cannot see him playing a lot.....  We have wing backs who would  be in front off him

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The bit he didn’t add was how well he thinks he could play RWB (it was the right side he specifically mentioned)!! ?

If he could play rwb it would solve a massive problem, but i really cant see hes cut out for that. 

he is our most talented ball player though, and hes a lot younger than pato,,,, i wonder how he would do as first choice in that attacking midfield spot?

4 hours ago, chipdawg said:

Walsh doesn't play as far up the field as Palmer/Pato (as in his average position). I think he'll be closer to Brownhill when he finds his feet- maybe less defensively aware, but more creative

I’ve gotta admit I’ve not seen Walshy’s heat maps, or average position maps. My judgement is purely based on what I’ve read and saw on TV last season. 

I’m quite excited to see if what he do. Always thought he would work better in a midfield 3. 

Just frazzled my brain thinking about all the ‘midfield 3’ combinations DH could select, depending on the opposition. Choosing from, when all fit, and still at the club (not sold or out on loan):

Bakinson, Brunt, COD, Eliasson, Massengo, Morrell, Morton, Nagy, Palmer, Pato, Rowe, Walsh, Williams.

I think League 1 loans for Bakinson & Morton would be great for their development.

Sell Eliasson, if he won’t sign a new contract.

COD cover for DaSilva; Rowe cover for left-side CB & Midfield; Brunt cover for DaSiva & Midfield.

It’s really making my head spin ?

COYR.

With the Villa transfer fund reportedly £100m and they have just spent the best part of £50m that leaves a sizeable chunk for a bid - Nic Eliasson .With their track record of paying big money we should expect at least £10-£15m .NE is equally as good a footballer as Matty Cash . Anything less would be disappointing. 

27 minutes ago, davidoldfart said:

With the Villa transfer fund reportedly £100m and they have just spent the best part of £50m that leaves a sizeable chunk for a bid - Nic Eliasson .With their track record of paying big money we should expect at least £10-£15m .NE is equally as good a footballer as Matty Cash . Anything less would be disappointing. 

Not with only 1 year remaining. I’d imagine it would be closer to £5m.

6 minutes ago, SBB said:

Not with only 1 year remaining. I’d imagine it would be closer to £5m.

.........but if you then apply the Mark Ashton Aston Villa transfer coefficient, it brings that figure put to £7.5 to £10m!

11 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Take whatever we can  get for him as doesn’t fit the system & won’t sign his contract. After Thursday, I think we can safely say Villa aren’t interested as was dreadful

I agree that City should sell and he was dreadful on Thursday but, being generous to him, he was played out of position. Play him in a position & system that suits his style of play and he’s a better player 

52 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree that City should sell and he was dreadful on Thursday but, being generous to him, he was played out of position. Play him in a position & system that suits his style of play and he’s a better player 

I don’t give much credit to this notion of him being played out of position.  He’s a wide player; he was played as a wide player.  Most wide players are expected to be able to play on either side these days, and I don’t see a huge difference between winger and wing back, particularly if you have a central defender on you side if the pitch who is used to playing as a full back or wing back.  It may not have been completely ideal for him, but he was hardly being played at centre forward or centre back.  If you’re an orthodox winger who can only play on one side in a 442 then your options are going to be very limited these days!

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t give much credit to this notion of him being played out of position.  He’s a wide player; he was played as a wide player.  Most wide players are expected to be able to play on either side these days, and I don’t see a huge difference between winger and wing back, particularly if you have a central defender on you side if the pitch who is used to playing as a full back or wing back.  It may not have been completely ideal for him, but he was hardly being played at centre forward or centre back.  If you’re an orthodox winger who can only play on one side in a 442 then your options are going to be very limited these days!

It’s a really different role, you need a lot of defensive awareness to play it.

I agree a 442 style winger is a bit outdated, but Eliasson isn’t. He can play on either side and in a variety of wide roles whether that’s a 442 or 433. A 532 doesn’t suit him however.

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

There is a difference between a wingback and a winger. The primary duty of a wing back is to defend with attacking as a secondary role. The primary duty of a winger is to attack with dropping back into midfield as and when necessary. Positional play is also vastly different in these two positions. Some players can make the switch, eg Clive Whitehead, but others can’t. If we apply your logic to other positions, a central midfield player could easily play as centre half, and a central attacking midfield player could easily play as centre forward. It doesn’t work like that 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Forgetting the position he played on Thursday, I was disappointed with what he did WITH the ball in their final third....which is his bread and butter.  He went outside the full-back early on and got a cross in, but the full-back learned quickly and stopped him after that in the main.

Defensively, his awareness and positioning is always gonna be his downfall.  It is when he plays as a winger, so no surprise he found it difficult deeper.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Forgetting the position he played on Thursday, I was disappointed with what he did WITH the ball in their final third....which is his bread and butter.  He went outside the full-back early on and got a cross in, but the full-back learned quickly and stopped him after that in the main.

Defensively, his awareness and positioning is always gonna be his downfall.  It is when he plays as a winger, so no surprise he found it difficult deeper.

Thought once Guilbert stayed with him the first time he was reluctant to even try and take him on afterwards. I have noticed this before with Eliasson. Once there is a bit of a challenge be it a quicker or bigger fullback he becomes very passive and it nullifies his one great attribute which is his crossing. Add that to the fact he isn’t a threat to shoot it makes him anonymous more often than not. Perhaps why he has been more useful off the bench when opposition is a bit more tired and less aggressive

Think it is in everyone’s best interests if this happens now.

He doesn’t have a natural home in a 3-5-2, we still have far too many midfield players & he gets a chance to play more regularly in a decent league. We get a player off the wage bill & some income, too.

Personally think the talk of Villa being even remotely interested in him is absolute nonsense, he played in midweek because we pretty much reverted to the team that beat Northampton.

Be lucky to get much more than 4m Euros for him, though.

On 08/09/2020 at 23:12, Tangle Foot said:

I’ve gotta admit I’ve not seen Walshy’s heat maps, or average position maps. My judgement is purely based on what I’ve read and saw on TV last season. 

I’m quite excited to see if what he do. Always thought he would work better in a midfield 3. 

Just frazzled my brain thinking about all the ‘midfield 3’ combinations DH could select, depending on the opposition. Choosing from, when all fit, and still at the club (not sold or out on loan):

Bakinson, Brunt, COD, Eliasson, Massengo, Morrell, Morton, Nagy, Palmer, Pato, Rowe, Walsh, Williams.

I think League 1 loans for Bakinson & Morton would be great for their development.

Sell Eliasson, if he won’t sign a new contract.

COD cover for DaSilva; Rowe cover for left-side CB & Midfield; Brunt cover for DaSiva & Midfield.

It’s really making my head spin ?

COYR.

We have a gem in Bakinson and you would loan him to League One?

Incredible!

Archived