IGNORED

Eliasson - Departure confirmed

Lew-T

This will more than cover the fee we paid for Joe Williams, with the money from the sale of Sammie Szmodics we have probably just about broken even or might have a slight loss with the loan fees paid for Mawson and Sessegnon included. 

Nothing like the losses we used to make a few years ago where everyone seemed to leave for free or very norminal fees.

Take it the Lazio interest wasn't sustained then.

Did wonder how serious that was- think we'd have got more from them- but how serious it was given like us they play a back 3. Variation within it of course, but...

He'd flourish I think even more so in a true bona fide 4-3-3. On the left, one extra man in midfield behind ie in CM, wide left of that in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 hybrid type shape, on the left- think he'd do well.

In terms of the Nimes deal, feels a bit cheap...interesting to see if he develops, kicks on there.

Good luck NE, this (if it transpires) is the best outcome for all concerned IMO. NE needs regular football which he isn’t going to achieve with us. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and we may have realised more £’s pre-Covid. Trust that MA has reached the best deal possible given all the circumstances.

Be interesting to see how his career develops. 

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Pretty ‘meh’ move for him tbf. Certainly wouldn’t have been one he dreamt of in Jan. Must have his eyes solely set on playing to get into the Euros

As I wrote previously, he should stand out in an ordinary Nimes side , it will be a showcase for other more important European clubs . 

59 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

A fantastic talent. But one we could not get the best out of.

He will do well over there and we will hopefully make more from a future sale.

I totally get what you’re saying Jon.

Maybe we did get the best out of him....maybe he hasn’t got the football intelligence / maturity?  I don’t know, just that I saw him fail to do add anything unless he had the ball at his feet.  I know that sounds a stupid comment, but I rarely saw him (for example) come off the right touch line to create space for Hunt to overlap.  Teams didn’t always have to double up on him either, because good blocking of passing lanes were enough to stop the ball getting to him.

To thrive at Nimes he will need to be a focal point of their play.

Ive no idea how good Nimes are in Ligue1 in comparison to top end of the Champ....or how tactical Ligue1  is beneath the “big clubs”.

Good luck to him...will look forward to new highlight reels.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe we did get the best out of him....maybe he hasn’t got the football intelligence / maturity?  I don’t know, just that I saw him fail to do add anything unless he had the ball at his feet.  I know that sounds a stupid comment, but I rarely saw him (for example) come off the right touch line to create space for Hunt to overlap.  Teams didn’t always have to double up on him either, because good blocking of passing lanes were enough to stop the ball getting to him.

Ive no idea how good Nimes are in Ligue1 in comparison to top end of the Champ....or how tactical Ligue1  is beneath the “big clubs”.

I think there is actually something wrong with his technique. I know it sounds weird because I have described him as a left footed David Beckham in the past, because of the incredible whip he gets on the ball. But he doesn't seem capable of actually kicking a ball straight or with any great power. I don't know if it is too late to change that. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was always excited by Eliasson's potential but I'll be interested to see how he actually does elsewhere. I can see it going either way - it might be he proves he is a phenomenal talent we never quite found the right formation for or it may be that he drifts through the game as a bit part player at various clubs and never quite realises that supposed potential. I find both equally plausible. 

3 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The amphitheatre is, indeed, amazing, and remarkably well-preserved: it also continues to stage bullfights during their annual festival.

Just for clarity Phil, I think it's right to say that the French "bullfighting" is not a bloodsport?

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Just for clarity Phil, I think it's right to say that the French "bullfighting" is not a bloodsport?

Well, it is if you get hit by the bull!

Seriously, there are, in fact, two distinct types of bullfighting in (Southern) France: the traditional type where the bulls are killed, and what is known as Course Camarguaise, named after the Camargue region of France in which Arles and Nimes are located.

In direct contrast to traditional bullfighting, the bulls used in Course Camarguaise are not killed, but are much smaller and charge around for 15 minutes or so, chasing the (unarmed) matadors before being released unharmed.

The Course Camarguaise is very much a spectacle or pageant and, as I mentioned earlier, part of the annual fair.

42 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

There exists the course  Camarguaise where razeteurs, very bravely run across the arena trying to trap ribbons tied between the very lively bull’s horns. 

Then the Corrida, where the bulls are stabbed by the picadors on horseback and bleed before affronting, terrified and weakened, the matador. 

It is sadistic torture, nothing more.

28 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, it is if you get hit by the bull!

Seriously, there are, in fact, two distinct types of bullfighting in (Southern) France: the traditional type where the bulls are killed, and what is known as Course Camarguaise, named after the Camargue region of France in which Arles and Nimes are located.

In direct contrast to traditional bullfighting, the bulls used in Course Camarguaise are not killed, but are much smaller and charge around for 15 minutes or so, chasing the (unarmed) matadors before being released unharmed.

The Course Camarguaise is very much a spectacle or pageant and, as I mentioned earlier, part of the annual fair.

Notice the guy selling larks livers , ocelot spleens and otter’s noses. 

Archived