IGNORED

Eliasson - Departure confirmed

Lew-T

3 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Maybe they weren’t. Fact of the matter is he was a fantastic asset to us last season and to see him go at all, especially in these circumstances, sucks. 

Meanwhile,,back at the ranch;

Callum O'Windflap still picks up a wage here...... ... Enough said.

34 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Meanwhile,,back at the ranch;

Callum O'Windflap still picks up a wage here...... ... Enough said.

And Watkins.

And Adelakun.

Of all the wingers we have, Eliasson is the one we sell? 

You could sell those three, offer Nic a bigger wage and still be in the plus. 

I know it was Eliasson’s last year and all but buying a young player and improving him immeasurably only to then sell him for pretty much what we bought him for kinda goes against our whole ethos. 

Great crosser of the ball, but that was about it, couldn't finish, and that was his problem,

His best position for us was impact sub coming on against tired legs, it was no coincidence that when he started a game he struggled to perform,

Shame because he could be a great player if he can learn to finish 

6 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

A message to LJ; you need the cake before the icing.

Why are you having a pop at lj, a manager who did a decent job but couldn't finish it off,

I'd wager he knows a hell of a lot more about this club then you do, and he isnt out manager and hasnt been for quite some time now

4 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

And Watkins.

And Adelakun.

Of all the wingers we have, Eliasson is the one we sell? 

You could sell those three, offer Nic a bigger wage and still be in the plus. 

I know it was Eliasson’s last year and all but buying a young player and improving him immeasurably only to then sell him for pretty much what we bought him for kinda goes against our whole ethos. 

He was probably the only one with interest.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Great crosser of the ball, but that was about it, couldn't finish, and that was his problem,

His best position for us was impact sub coming on against tired legs, it was no coincidence that when he started a game he struggled to perform,

Yes, he seldom got in to the box and finish, scored.  But he did not play so oten, COD did. He still is a player in progress and he will be in his best in a couple of years. As things are it was the best for him to move, Im happy that Holden is our manager and we are in the right direction. Last season LJ lost it and I felt sorry for Eliasson when he most of the times was on the bench. COD not half the player as NE. When NE got the ball something was always going to happen. Pato has developed and Im sure Ne also will. LJ was not able to trust and see what NE could bring to the team. Now we have a way of play 352 and Niclas have no place here. The Club is Always bigger than one player but I feel kind of sad that he not got the chance to develop in our Club. NE got another dimension in him I wish he will develop in Nîmes and that we will see him in the swedish team next summer. We dont have so many good footballers in Sweden, Niclas is one of them.. Ok we have defenders and def midfilders who can kick the ball away. Sweden can go to quartefinal with luck and fighting, Its like a low division team makes good run in your FA cup. All and all, Niclas has that most players dont have. Its a pitty he did not go all the way in our Club. Ok, that was that, really hope we will win today, COYR!!!

7 hours ago, Matthew me said:

Keep COD, Watkins and AW on our books...

Sign a 35 year old midfielder ....

Then sell off a young talented attacking winger that produced the most assists per minute last season

Doesn't fill me with huge confidence that we've made a good decision here. But time will.tell

O'Dowda is probably next on the list to go but we'll struggle to do so.

Watkins is on loan and contract expires at the end of it.

Weimann can play multiple positions and is playing well currently. 

Now moving onto Eliasson..

In a couple of months we could of lost him for free if he didn't sign a new contract so can't take that risk especially due to the fact he wasn't going to get regular games.

He's a winger we don't use wingers hence why we've sold him and loaned out Jonny Smith, Adelukan and Watkins.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

He scored at least 3 great goals for us though mind. I remember a winner v Bolton on Sky.

38 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

O'Dowda is probably next on the list to go but we'll struggle to do so.

Watkins is on loan and contract expires at the end of it.

Weimann can play multiple positions and is playing well currently. 

Now moving onto Eliasson..

In a couple of months we could of lost him for free if he didn't sign a new contract so can't take that risk especially due to the fact he wasn't going to get regular games.

He's a winger we don't use wingers hence why we've sold him and loaned out Jonny Smith, Adelukan and Watkins.

I am not so sure, if you look at the way we have set up so far, of all the options we have I think CO'D is the one we have that could replace Weimann's direct running style. We have several that could play where Bakinson currently sits and a couple of options for Paterson, but not another obvious "ball carrier".

For all of NE's ability, his departure is less significant, and will have less impact on the club's future, than will Taylor Moore signing a new contract on the same day. 

@Garland-sweden

Here’s last season’s minutes.

0B04F747-238A-4E95-9ED2-B8492E8623A4.thumb.jpeg.66224362f0abd2d97ba5223395961ff6.jpeg

That’s 35% more minutes for Nic.

@JonDolman

I think we have to wait and see with Callum.  Dean already quite clever in the way he uses his words.  He said he saw Nic in a similar vain, as wingback and a central attacking midfielder.  As it stands I honestly can’t see where Callum gets a start, especially with Jay’s potential shin injury not amounting to anything.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not so sure, if you look at the way we have set up so far, of all the options we have I think CO'D is the one we have that could replace Weimann's direct running style. We have several that could play where Bakinson currently sits and a couple of options for Paterson, but not another obvious "ball carrier".

No way for me that COD could replace Weinmann. Weimann is good in the defensive, can pass and score, COD can not. Hoping that COD will develop and be better but I dont think so, hope Im wrong.

It seemed inevitable that Eliasson would leave with the contract situation and potentially limited game time due to not really fitting in to our formation. 

Very good player on his day, quick feet, great crosser, but also tended to be peripheral for periods of games, especially when he started. 

Good luck to him. 

A lot of disappointment on here saying Nic was a missed opportunity and we never got the best out of him but what if we did ?

Wingers are a luxury for most teams in the Championship and the good ones tend to have more to their game than the ability to run and cross. He has the pace for the Championship but maybe just not either the application to be a team player or the necessary awareness and concentration required in such a demanding division. He may excel in the slower paced French league and may well have done so in Scotland but for me he is another of the long list of entertainers who flatter to deceive and fail to get regular starts for good reason.

There are players and IMO Nic is one who shine coming off the bench against tiring defenders when a team is throwing everything at the opposition but are less effective starting games. Semenyo will probably benefit from a similar role as an impact sub this season although I suspect will make the step up to a regular starter before too long. 

54 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

A lot of disappointment on here saying Nic was a missed opportunity and we never got the best out of him but what if we did ?

Wingers are a luxury for most teams in the Championship and the good ones tend to have more to their game than the ability to run and cross. He has the pace for the Championship but maybe just not either the application to be a team player or the necessary awareness and concentration required in such a demanding division. He may excel in the slower paced French league and may well have done so in Scotland but for me he is another of the long list of entertainers who flatter to deceive and fail to get regular starts for good reason.

There are players and IMO Nic is one who shine coming off the bench against tiring defenders when a team is throwing everything at the opposition but are less effective starting games. Semenyo will probably benefit from a similar role as an impact sub this season although I suspect will make the step up to a regular starter before too long. 

Agree with your last paragraph to be honest. Eliasson did seem at his best when coming on with say 20 mins to go when the game is stretched and defenders are tiring. The vast majority of starts he had he just never seemed to effect a game in the way he did when he came off the bench.

Will be interesting to see how he does in Ligue 1. He is one of those, I wouldn’t be suprised if that was the last we heard of him and his career went on a downward spiral but equally it wouldn’t suprise me if he went on and did really well in France and got himself a move to a bigger European team or even a Prem move. Time will tell I suppose.

Ultiamtely the right decision to sell, but the posters claiming he wasn't up to it, or could 'only cross and nothing else' are far off the mark. He's a huge talent and am pretty sure will play top league football for the rest of his career (albeit I imagine another euro league, where his attributes are probably more suited than English football)

At the end of the day, it was Eliason's decision to leave, rather than the club's to get rid of him.

It never works when you try to hang on to players who want to go, and as everyone has already pointed out, Holden's preferred formation made Nic peripheral to the starting XI. Can't blame the lad for wanting to start games.

I think Nimes have got themselves a very tidy player and I hope NE settles well into his new country and enjoys his football there.

I’d take Eliasson or Watkins over CoD any day. 

Unfortunately, some massive berk offered CoD a new contract on the basis of one ‘worldie’ goal at Norwich (the first semblance of anything beyond the mediocre in three seasons) so it looks like we’re stuck with him for another 3 years. 

Either LJ or, I suspect more likely, MA need to really examine the logic of wasting a few million on that decision. 

Archived