Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Eliasson - Departure confirmed


Recommended Posts

A good deal for all is my my thoughts.

Every time he played for us, offensively he looked dangerous and I like a winger who goes by a man and can cross a ball so I am somewhat biased.

However, facts are this:

- Does not fit into Dean Holden’s preferred system (he is not a wingback and never will be)

- Clearly wants to leave

- For whatever reason, mentioned suitors (Celtic, Villa et al) did not fancy him

Good luck Nic, and go well, could well have been played/managed differently and would either be lining up for us in the Prem at #11, or being sold for £10-15mill, neither of those scenarios are or were beyond the realms when you consider the era he spent with us.

Hindsight is best sight as they say and the way the current managerial/coaching team have started, you have to trust this as best case right now.

  • Robin 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Not too happy tbh, easily one of our best and most talented players. I feel we’re gonna regret this one. 

We mismanaged and underused him the entire time he was here and sold him for pretty much what we bought him for. 
 

travis fimmel ragnar lothbrok GIF

Not wishing to use this as a stick with which to beat LJ, but I think any blame must be attached to our last head coach rather than the club ( we).

LJ’s muddled thinking about tactics and formations, needing enough clubs in the bag and players he could trust resulted in a us not getting the best out of a number of players. 

For all the reservations many had about Holden, it seems to me that he has a clear plan in mind as to how he wants us to play and he also appears to be being pragmatic about the fact that we have a bloated squad and especially a surfeit of midfield players. In making cuts to the squad, and shipping players out, he has to decide which players fit best with the way we are looking to play. Add to that Elliasson’s contract situation ( after the last couple of years he probe;y, and understandably, wants more regular game time, it appears to be a sensible decision for all parties.

The alternative would be to keep him and either compromise the way DG wants us to play in order to accommodate NE, fit him into a 3-5-2 as a square peg in a round hole or change the way we are going to play, all of which would be taking us back towards LJ’s  way of planning and squad management!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Good money for him mate when he’s clearly not in our plans this season 

There’s no way we play without wingers the entire season, I would’ve liked to have seen him upfront or at CAM if needs be. Nice to get some money, absolutely, just gutted at seeing such a talented entertaining player leave. Especially when O’Dowda and Watkins (even if he is away on loan) are still on our books. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

A message to LJ; you need the cake before the icing.

And when the seagulls follow the trawler, its because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.

Or something like that.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

There’s no way we play without wingers the entire season, I would’ve liked to have seen him upfront or at CAM if needs be. Nice to get some money, absolutely, just gutted at seeing such a talented entertaining player leave. Especially when O’Dowda and Watkins (even if he is away on loan) are still on our books. 

Holden could easily go 442 at some point, but like Sir Alf go wingless.

I wish Eliasson had been played more on the left in his time here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Holden could easily go 442 at some point, but like Sir Alf go wingless.

I wish Eliasson had been played more on the left in his time here.

With our absolute glut of central midfielders we can go wingless or diamond, or the magic 4-2-2-2.

And we can play O'Dowda and Weimann and Paterson on the wings and bring back the glory days of LJ! We can play like, Massengo and Walsh in a midfield 2, get completely overrun and pump the ball long at Fam. It'll be great.

I don't think Eliasson has the physical ability (size/speed) to be a big threat in the Prem. At best IMO he'd look like a David Bentley type (Blackburn not Spurs), where he has excellent passing/crossing but can't beat anyone for pace. David Beckham lite. Good luck to him, think the continent will suit him more than elite English football! 

Seemed like a nice guy, no issues with him. Agree it would have been interesting to see him play left wing and make a team around him. Feels like an acceptable price given the climate and an absence of details. From start to finish think the club has done well with him. It's a shame he didn't perform one year earlier so we could have gotten maximum value out of his sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Prinny said:

With our absolute glut of central midfielders we can go wingless or diamond, or the magic 4-2-2-2.

And we can play O'Dowda and Weimann and Paterson on the wings and bring back the glory days of LJ! We can play like, Massengo and Walsh in a midfield 2, get completely overrun and pump the ball long at Fam. It'll be great.

I don't think Eliasson has the physical ability (size/speed) to be a big threat in the Prem. At best IMO he'd look like a David Bentley type (Blackburn not Spurs), where he has excellent passing/crossing but can't beat anyone for pace. David Beckham lite. Good luck to him, think the continent will suit him more than elite English football! 

Seemed like a nice guy, no issues with him. Agree it would have been interesting to see him play left wing and make a team around him. Feels like an acceptable price given the climate and an absence of details. From start to finish think the club has done well with him. It's a shame he didn't perform one year earlier so we could have gotten maximum value out of his sale.

Ah, nostalgia 😂😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You tell me because you obviously no more than most managers in this country who would of looked at him and thought nah not worth 2 million 

I wonder if (domestically at least) our reputation for getting big fees is starting to catch up with us and teams may not have approached us expecting we'd demand a big fee, Bobby and Joe for example of players with 1 year left on their contracts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

There’s no way we play without wingers the entire season, I would’ve liked to have seen him upfront or at CAM if needs be. Nice to get some money, absolutely, just gutted at seeing such a talented entertaining player leave. Especially when O’Dowda and Watkins (even if he is away on loan) are still on our books. 

Diamond could work, our combination of CM's could easily fit the requirements.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Our media team get stick but the announcement from Nimes is about as minimal as they come: http://www.nimes-olympique.com/eliasson-et-aribi-sont-nimois/

 

But, just to make him feel at home, they did take him up to their roof.

Le Nîmes Olympique a annoncé avoir fait signer le milieu gauche suédois de Bristol (D 2 anglaise), Niclas Eliasson, et l'attaquant de pointe algérien de l'Étoile du Sahel (D 1 tunisienne), Karim Aribi.

02 octobre 2020 à 23h29
partager
 
 
 
ADVERTISING

Le club gardois a annoncé avoir fait signer le milieu gauche suédois de Bristol (D 2 anglaise), Niclas Eliasson (24 ans), et l'athlétique (1,92 m.) attaquant de pointe algérien de l'Étoile du Sahel (D 1 tunisienne), Karim Aribi (26 ans). Ils se sont engagés respectivement pour quatre et trois saisons.

 

This link might help!

 

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transferts-niclas-eliasson-bristol-et-karim-aribi-etoile-du-sahel-ont-signe-a-nimes/1179054

Selon Le Midi Libre, Eliasson aurait coûté plus de trois millions d'euros, contre un pour Aribi, et les deux joueurs qualifiés pourraient être du derby à Montpellier dimanche (13 heures).

 
 
 
Edited by PHILINFRANCE
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, erndogz said:

His performances since Christmas have been on the wane. I thought he was very sloppy and not very influential after lockdown. I move was due....onwards for city

oh where are you moving to?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to see him go, could have become a legend with proper management. Basically an epitaph to LJ - most promising midfielder for a very long time, proven stats and a former head coach with his head so far up his ..........

enough! The pretender is gone, his understudy seems to have his feet on the ground!

looking forward COYR! 
 

not claiming to be right - but LJ    Is still unemployed! 
took loads of stick for it - but was I wrong? Only time will tell!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Sorry to see him go, could have become a legend with proper management. Basically an epitaph to LJ - most promising midfielder for a very long time, proven stats and a former head coach with his head so far up his ..........

enough! The pretender is gone, his understudy seems to have his feet on the ground!

looking forward COYR! 
 

not claiming to be right - but LJ    Is still unemployed! 
took loads of stick for it - but was I wrong? Only time will tell!

So is Chris Hughton! :whistle:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Meanwhile,,back at the ranch;

Callum O'Windflap still picks up a wage here...... ... Enough said.

And Watkins.

And Adelakun.

Of all the wingers we have, Eliasson is the one we sell? 
 

You could sell those three, offer Nic a bigger wage and still be in the plus. 
 

I know it was Eliasson’s last year and all but buying a young player and improving him immeasurably only to then sell him for pretty much what we bought him for kinda goes against our whole ethos. 

Edited by Wade Wilson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great crosser of the ball, but that was about it, couldn't finish, and that was his problem,

His best position for us was impact sub coming on against tired legs, it was no coincidence that when he started a game he struggled to perform,

Shame because he could be a great player if he can learn to finish 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

A message to LJ; you need the cake before the icing.

Why are you having a pop at lj, a manager who did a decent job but couldn't finish it off,

I'd wager he knows a hell of a lot more about this club then you do, and he isnt out manager and hasnt been for quite some time now

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

And Watkins.

And Adelakun.

Of all the wingers we have, Eliasson is the one we sell? 
 

You could sell those three, offer Nic a bigger wage and still be in the plus. 
 

I know it was Eliasson’s last year and all but buying a young player and improving him immeasurably only to then sell him for pretty much what we bought him for kinda goes against our whole ethos. 

He was probably the only one with interest.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...