IGNORED

Eliasson - Departure confirmed

Lew-T

11 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Ultimately, if we win promotion using 3-5-2 then I'll be proved wrong, obviously! But, if we don't, I'll still be questioning it in 12 months time because I just think he's the sort of player a mid-table club like us should be building a team around if we want to get anywhere.

Just emailed you.

As someone mentioned above. We're running out of exciting players. No kid or non Bristol City fan would come to the Gate to watch Chris Martin or Brunt. 

HNM and Liam Walsh would be the exceptions. 

Boring players brought in to play an 'exciting and fresh' style of football, will blow up in our face and we'll end up lugging it to Fammy again. 

To echo Dave on this one, this reminds me of the Seth Johnson Derby to Leeds move, where his agent told him he'd get him £18k/wk and Leeds first offer was £30k (figures may not be correct)

Bet MA rubbed his hands when Villa declared an interest, never one to knowingly pay the going rate

Just now, RedNachos said:

As someone mentioned above. We're running out of exciting players. No kid or non Bristol City fan would come to the Gate to watch Chris Martin or Brunt. 

Boring players brought in to play an 'exciting and fresh' style of football, will blow up in our face and we'll end up lugging it to Fammy again. 

Someone piss on your corn flakes? 

I get your point, but where have all these 'exciting' players got us in the last 3 or 4 years.....

2 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

HNM is hardly exciting. He shouldn't be in the first 11. We've been lugging it up to Fam for the last couple of years with or without Eliasson

5 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

Someone piss on your corn flakes? 

I get your point, but where have all these 'exciting' players got us in the last 3 or 4 years.....

Challenging for the top six

Webby - Premier League player 

Bryan - Premier League player

Reid - Premier League player

Brownhill - Premier League player

Eliasson - Going to be a Premier League plauer

Keep hold of them, we're in the promised land. 

4 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

You’ve played too much footy manager on your Xbox mate 

11 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

This is the real world though. Only way we haven’t fallen foul of ffp was to sell them. Plus they wanted to go. 

34 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

Would that be Liam Walsh who has yet to establish himself in the championship ? Expecting a lot of him imo.

And HNM who didn't exactly set the world alight last season ? Expecting a lot of him imo.

35 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

Obscure source! Villa are being linked with dozens of players , may be some truth in it given the Dean/Dean love-in. Agree with £5M+. Paying for potential. Money to reinvest. 

To be fair an Italian journalist with 40k followers is reporting it. Usually tends to be true when it’s being reported overseas as well.

13 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

To be fair an Italian journalist with 40k followers is reporting it. Usually tends to be true when it’s being reported overseas as well.

Post are saying that no contact between Villa and City.

Also problems with his agent.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/aston-villa-in-talks-sign-4483107

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah he will be gone I reckon.

Loaned or maybe perm if a team like Qpr are interested who have sold Eze and have prem interest in Osayi Samuel.

But agree loan looks more likely.

Szmodics to Peterborough maybe. Bakinson maybe loaned out.

And Eliasson if he goes to Villa.

Brunt possibly coming here or someone of that type as it seems we are interested in him.

That would leave us with 7 I think. Still maybe one too many as we play with 3, and Holden might well like Weimann in that box to box role which would mean 8.

So even if those above go, I still see at least one going from all our midfield options.

Bakinson might just hang around. Personally I'd keep Szmodics and sell Palmer if we could get our money back. I don't expect this to happen though as Szmodics is a more bankable asset right now. 

Palmer frustrates the hell out of me. He's a huge talent on the ball but rarely seems interested in displaying it, and looks like a little boy lost when out of possession. He's like JET but with less application, less physique, and without the goal threat. I know he's not played as some would of like but there's a reason for that, lack of application. When given starts he's been a major disappointment and I have no idea how he's going to fit in a team that wants to press from the front. Shape up or ship out. 

3 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Bakinson might just hang around. Personally I'd keep Szmodics and sell Palmer if we could get our money back. I don't expect this to happen though as Szmodics is a more bankable asset right now. 

Palmer frustrates the hell out of me. He's a huge talent on the ball but rarely seems interested in displaying it, and looks like a little boy lost when out of possession. He's like JET but with less application, less physique, and without the goal threat. I know he's not played as some would of like but there's a reason for that, lack of application. When given starts he's been a major disappointment and I have no idea how he's going to fit in a team that wants to press from the front. Shape up or ship out. 

Agree with a lot of this but expect Bakinson to depart on loan next week once Nagy, Morrell & HNM come back from international duty, especially if Joe Williams’ injury isn’t as bad as initially thought.

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

He's strong in the areas that are really difficult to coach (quick feet, pace, ridiculous delivery) and weak in the areas that are very coachable (defensive positioning, creating angles, getting into goalscoring positions).

That he doesn't walk into our team, as one of the division's leading assist makers, is as much our failing as his.

He's not pacy though? Because it's comparative.

He never beats people for pace, his trick is his quick feet and delivery, especially cutting in and crossing. He doesn't beat people and get away, so disagree with your evaluation there. And pace is for me a key defining factor of your ability to make it at the top level. There's no way Eliasson has elite speed vs Premier League players. You know he doesn't have it by the way he's defended. Look at the way Jack Hunt defends, 10 yards off, because he's slow comparatively and terrified of pace. Opposition don't act like that vs Eliasson.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Good comments.  He’s the most likely along with Fam to generate funds.  As a non-regular, with 10 months left on his contract, under a head-coach who doesn’t play wingers, it sounds like perfect time to move him on.

Totally get those who disagree.  I don’t dispute his skills.

It's terrible timing. Ignoring Covid related finances he became a good player 12 months too late. We need them to come good when they have 2 years left on their deal. All we had is triggering the year option and being in a really bad position to negotiate a new contract. Liam Walsh is the same problem.

We definitely need rid of him ASAP, we're just sitting on an saleable asset that we don't want to use and it's depreciating.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. I can't see how he fits in with a team built around pressing and moving the ball forward quickly. Especially in this 5122 which has 2 box to box types. No free floating attacking midfielder which is what Palmer is imo.

He would suit some teams I'm sure better than us.

Can't say about Szmodics. He seems like he could be off. Didn't start a friendly other than the 2nd villa game that looked more like a 2nd team.

He might not fit the pressing bit (agreed), but you can coach / drill that....but moving the ball quickly, he can definitely do.  You need the right players...Afobe and Weimann were the right forwards for him...Fam isn’t.  And I could imagine give and goes with Martin and the secondary runner thriving.

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree with a lot of this but expect Bakinson to depart on loan next week once Nagy, Morrell & HNM come back from international duty, especially if Joe Williams’ injury isn’t as bad as initially thought.

Yes, Bakinson likely to be cover for a few weeks.  I wouldn’t rush him out til a bit later in window.  Walsh’s or Williams might get reoccurrences.  Hopefully not. 

2 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

Wouldn’t be a huge loss IMO, especially if we are planning to play 352. Always thought he was better off the bench, gets found out after the fullbacks have seen him do his step over and cross it a few times.

One dimension but what a dimension. Good impact player when chasing a game or wanting to open it up. Atm nothing more. Villa will be taking a punt and gambling that he will improve. We should bank the cash if it’s offered.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

It really is all in his head. Application and attitude. Plenty of room for improvement there i think. His ability with the ball is as good as anyone at the club, real eye for a slotted pass.

Could link up very well with Chris Martin. He definitely needs the right players in front of him to see anything like his best.

Needs to take his chance this season or i wouldn't be surprised to see a loan in Jan.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Would that be Liam Walsh who has yet to establish himself in the championship ? Expecting a lot of him imo.

And HNM who didn't exactly set the world alight last season ? Expecting a lot of him imo.

17/18 years old and in a new country. Younger than some of the "kids" playing against Yate yesterday. What were you expecting, Messi? Maradona? I thought he did incredibly well and showed some great touches and an understanding of the game beyond his years.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

17/18 years old and in a new country. Younger than some of the "kids" playing against Yate yesterday. What were you expecting, Messi? Maradona? I thought he did incredibly well and showed some great touches and an understanding of the game beyond his years.

By way of context, It was in response to another poster - I said he is expecting too much of him.

Whatever.

4 hours ago, RedNachos said:

Not sure about that, I genuinely enjoyed watching Dele Adebola here when I was 13/14!

I get your point though. We’d only really have Palmer and Paterson as flair players.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not sure about that, I genuinely enjoyed watching Dele Adebola here when I was 13/14!

I get your point though. We’d only really have Palmer and Paterson as flair players.

Dasilva is great to watch and if Nakhi Wells gets the service he could be deemed exciting, ultimately if the team is playing winning football with a decent style of football then the crowds will come (Covid dependant)

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Dasilva is great to watch and if Nakhi Wells gets the service he could be deemed exciting, ultimately if the team is playing winning football with a decent style of football then the crowds will come (Covid dependant)

I think fans like the team to have a couple of players with X-factor though. If Eliasson leaves that’s just Palmer and Paterson. Potentially Walsh.

3 hours ago, RedEyez said:

His agent is looking for a big pay off , can’t see him not pushing it through , just get the biggest fee possible 

Villa of all Clubs, really dislike them. Without Niclas we will be a poor team. Said last season everyone could see Niclas is a good player but not LJ. He is weak in defensive, he he. COD before Niclas most every game, should I laugh or cry. He is a winger that could do everything with a ball. It is, was, only a time when he leaves. To not use such a player last season is for me a big big ? Celtic, Lazio, Villa and other better Clubs than us wants him. He is not good enough for Bristol City, says it all. Vyner, Dasilva or who will now feed our forwards with intelligent passes, crossballs. The whole story of Eliasson in City is sad. Know we have to sell him but it is a bitter taste in mouth.

Archived