IGNORED

Season Card / Streaming update

man in the middle

Agreed between the EFL and Sky, centrally planned.

Credit to the EFL here, I can certainly see why if a broadcast holder (Sky) I'd be reluctant for this over a whole season. Requires modified deal for sure.

I note that the PL have no equivalent. 20 extra Sky games in lieu of a further rebate but ideas to broadcast all fell flat when Amazon, BT and Sky were unwilling to stump up more due to the economic climate so an extra 20 it is.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

You will miss out on any games chosen for live broadcast on Sky but (for us legal only streamers) you can get a nowtv daypass for £9.99 (maybe cheaper) so I don't see much of an upside of not opting for a refund, and controlling things yourself. Surely they must have to do something about away games otherwise I'll be abroad every other week and constantly in quarantine.

(Legalities aside) this almost makes me think a refund might not be on offer.

If it's not, I can see a lot of people just stopping DD payments (that pay monthly Obviously). If they piss people off that much, it will be hard to get them to come back and stump up next time. 

Will await the pricing options from City, but for context, I pay £143.99 per year to subscribe to NFL Game Pass. 
This gives me access to watch ALL of my teams games, live, as well as being able to watch EVERY game of ALL other teams on playback (full match, 40 minute highlights or just scoring plays). 
Plus there is access to lots of other content, NFL shows. NFL Network etc. 

As said, I’ll await pricing, but if they end up charging the £450 full ST price for 23 home games only, I’ll be a tad peed off, especially given the value I get from the NFL. 

26 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If it's not, I can see a lot of people just stopping DD payments (that pay monthly Obviously). If they piss people off that much, it will be hard to get them to come back and stump up next time. 

Quite. I'll be straight in with a chargeback claim on the credit card and they'll lose my future custom. Anyway now that this information is out there is not really any excuse for the clubs deafening silence. Expect an announcement at 5pm on the 11th;

46 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Quite. I'll be straight in with a chargeback claim on the credit card and they'll lose my future custom. Anyway now that this information is out there is not really any excuse for the clubs deafening silence. Expect an announcement at 5pm on the 11th;

And just how many other EFL clubs have made statements up to now?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Will await the pricing options from City, but for context, I pay £143.99 per year to subscribe to NFL Game Pass. 
This gives me access to watch ALL of my teams games, live, as well as being able to watch EVERY game of ALL other teams on playback (full match, 40 minute highlights or just scoring plays). 

As said, I’ll await pricing, but if they end up charging the £450 full ST price for 23 home games only, I’ll be a tad peed off, especially given the value I get from the NFL. 

Do you take the knee before the game starts?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Not in the clubs hands specifically, need to wait for Sky-EFL negotiations to conclude in full I'd have thought.

8 minutes ago, Pound Lane Red said:

not the demand for NFL, so why would you expect similar value? 

If the package was that affordable then I think a lot of EFL fans would pay that price.  

Irrelevant. 
It’s a service which streams games. Same process, different product. 
If you think £450 is value for money to watch your team on TV then great for you. I don’t. And I’ve offered the equivalent from another sport, at a third of the cost, which also offers unrestricted access to ALL games, not just your own team. 

Looking at the article in full now. 

This covers HOME matches for season ticket holders. As in can't attend, the streaming in lieu. Non ST holders £10.

Plus, perhaps covering what @Bristol Rob said. 

"The money raised by the streaming fees will be kept by whichever club sells the service in the Championship". 

That could mean determined by access code or it could mean say we play Stoke away and sell 20,000 day passes. £200k.

Whereas for Stoke it'd be their day passes for Stoke TV streaming minus those who took the ST option.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Irrelevant. 
It’s a service which streams games. Same process, different product. 
If you think £450 is value for money to watch your team on TV then great for you. I don’t. And I’ve offered the equivalent from another sport, at a third of the cost, which also offers unrestricted access to ALL games, not just your own team. 

Deal with Sky, they've made concessions I expect- realistically this is the best we'll get when all interests are balanced.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is one other bit of news having looked again at the article and looked a bit further.

This is positive. Sky have waived recompense for the loss of exclusivity. That means no rebate, clubs get paid in full.

Not so much a gain as minimisation of losses.

If there are no clubs, there is no product, so Sky Sports lose about 99% of their pulling power.

I'm paying for my ST £55.40 x 10 months If i only get the home matches streamed it will cost me £24.09 per match.  I can see a lot of people cancelling their ST's and just taking out day passes for matches or fly VPN Airways for around £90 a year The club will have to come up with more than just streaming home games

7 hours ago, westonred said:

I'm paying for my ST £55.40 x 10 months If i only get the home matches streamed it will cost me £24.09 per match.  I can see a lot of people cancelling their ST's and just taking out day passes for matches or fly VPN Airways for around £90 a year The club will have to come up with more than just streaming home games

May well be true but better deals also depend on the EFL and Sky- maybe cc them into the email. ;) 

That said your scenario feels plausible- but the EFL are rightly getting praise for this deal, but not on here it would seem!

21 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

All clubs should maybe get there heads together and Offer the same deals, Clubs need help from the EFL more than ever at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

All clubs should maybe get there heads together and Offer the same deals, Clubs need help from the EFL more than ever at the moment. 

That would be a good idea, although I would expect a championship side to be more expensive than a league 2 side.

As I’ve said before, the issue of cost is intrinsically linked to when fans can get back in.

Watching French league today - 5000 fans in. 

Likely date for fans as advised as being able to be back in some form - from October. Two home games missed.

Tbf, the cost of a tv pass (whatever the price) falls into two categories- ST holder and non STH. In the example of the latter, whether you charge £5/£10/£20 a game, you’ll still get six attendees piling round one persons house - and until they can attend it’s not revenue you’ve lost, every stream is revenue.

So the puzzle is how long can it be before you can facilitate STH that they’ll “take” a non refund in order for them to watch the games on tv before a return.

Add in here that I think there has to be a refund option for the uncomfortable or shielding. 

But if you said to me that I had no refund and then could attend from home game three with tv for the prior two, I’d take that. 

Summary - I think we’re looking at this the wrong way round by saying ST cost for the season vs streams. It’s whether likely missed games + attended makes it worth it

3 hours ago, boatman said:

Be interesting to see what deals other clubs offer their fans and then compare against ours.

Leeds and a few other teams offered the streaming of their matches and a free Crowdie (cut out fans picture for the stands) for the remainder of last seasons matches. We opted to sell the crowdies for £20 didn’t we. 

Thats what other teams do for example.

Have to be honest, I thought the 10 quid streaming cost (per game), was an awkward price point.

I can't imagine any league club (well, maybe one or two) sell an adult season ticket that works out at less than a tenner a game.

If they said 'or fifteen quid a match' (rather than a tenner), you would hoover up a lot of season ticket holder in that price bracket and encourage more away viewers as you'd probably have a couple of mates over to watch it.

Not knocking the value for money (on the face of it), but I fear it might cause more problems than it solves.

47 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As I’ve said before, the issue of cost is intrinsically linked to when fans can get back in.

Watching French league today - 5000 fans in. 

Likely date for fans as advised as being able to be back in some form - from October. Two home games missed.

Tbf, the cost of a tv pass (whatever the price) falls into two categories- ST holder and non STH. In the example of the latter, whether you charge £5/£10/£20 a game, you’ll still get six attendees piling round one persons house - and until they can attend it’s not revenue you’ve lost, every stream is revenue.

So the puzzle is how long can it be before you can facilitate STH that they’ll “take” a non refund in order for them to watch the games on tv before a return.

Add in here that I think there has to be a refund option for the uncomfortable or shielding. 

But if you said to me that I had no refund and then could attend from home game three with tv for the prior two, I’d take that. 

Summary - I think we’re looking at this the wrong way round by saying ST cost for the season vs streams. It’s whether likely missed games + attended makes it worth it

Bang on.  The big unknown is how long might they have to offer SC holders a pass before fans start to think theIf value is being eroded.  And that might be different for fans in different parts of the ground, who’ve outlayed different amounts.

For me, only paying £150 for u19 SC (plus free Carer - me!) I doubt I’d hit that decision point.

For someone who’s paid £500, its a different story.

And for someone who’s paid £1500 and they can all watch on one tv, it’s different again.

Club really should be seeking fans feedback.  Maybe they are.

I do know Jerry said they do recognise a “one size fits all” isn’t gonna meet everyone’s requirements, especially those shielding, so I hope they come up with something smart.  I think many fans won’t take another marketing comms fiasco.

Another awkward scenario would be if the club say to me, yes you can come to the match Tuesday, it's 6pm kick off and your arrival time slot is 2 hours before. See you at 4pm.

That would mean taking a half day for me but presumably if I said no it'd be tough, fixtures always get moved in any season.

Last season's cost per match was pricey, this season I could be paying premier league match costs a year before we get there 

Archived