IGNORED

Season Card / Streaming update

man in the middle

8 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Have to be honest, I thought the 10 quid streaming cost (per game), was an awkward price point.

I can't imagine any league club (well, maybe one or two) sell an adult season ticket that works out at less than a tenner a game.

If they said 'or fifteen quid a match' (rather than a tenner), you would hoover up a lot of season ticket holder in that price bracket and encourage more away viewers as you'd probably have a couple of mates over to watch it.

Not knocking the value for money (on the face of it), but I fear it might cause more problems than it solves.

But tv football is very different to live football, well for me at least. I hate watching football on tv in comparison, I would rather have watched Brislington live (my local team) for example than the Champions League final last night. I would not be prepared to pay more than a tenner to watch a game of football on tv.

How many games would you get for a months sky sport subscription across the board, that comes out as no where near a tenner per game surely? Yes I know it could be anything from Premiership down to Scottish or non league football (?) but it indicates a price point. 

All a high price will do is push fans away or at least towards a non official stream. I appreciate the clubs need money, but so do the fans. As I said before I have little sympathy that club owners find themselves in financial hardship as they are all too ready to bask in the good times and sell overpriced items, tickets, merchandise, food etc.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

But tv football is very different to live football, well for me at least. I hate watching football on tv in comparison, I would rather have watched Brislington live (my local team) for example than the Champions League final last night. I would not be prepared to pay more than a tenner to watch a game of football on tv.

How many games would you get for a months sky sport subscription across the board, that comes out as no where near a tenner per game surely? Yes I know it could be anything from Premiership down to Scottish or non league football (?) but it indicates a price point. 

All a high price will do is push fans away or at least towards a non official stream. I appreciate the clubs need money, but so do the fans. As I said before I have little sympathy that club owners find themselves in financial hardship as they are all too ready to bask in the good times and sell overpriced items, tickets, merchandise, food etc.

I too am only interested in watching live football. I’d rather spend my £10 watching a non league side until I can get into Ashton gate again. 

3 hours ago, man in the middle said:

I too am only interested in watching live football. I’d rather spend my £10 watching a non league side until I can get into Ashton gate again. 

100%, why would anyone want to sit in front of their tv at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, when there are hundreds of football matches being played that you can go and watch live.  

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

100%, why would anyone want to sit in front of their tv at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon, when there are hundreds of football matches being played that you can go and watch live.  

I really think that local non league teams are going to benefit from this situation, and perhaps many fans will rethink attending their usual league club’s games. 

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Personally, because I support Bristol City and I'd much rather watch them on TV than watch a team live that I have no interest in, playing a much lower quality of football. 

Impossible situation for City (or indeed any other club) to make a decision on refund/no refund until they know when fans will be let back in to the ground.

It is unreasonable to expect them to refund 14,000 season tickets at anything between £300 and £500 a time (14000 x  say £350 average = nearly 5 million quid) no club could afford to pay that amount of money back.  So as i said at the top it is an impossible situation to be in.

My suggestion and i dont know whether City's system would be able to administer it is-

Every game that a s/t holder is not allowed in to  see (whether that be because of total or partial ban), that unused ticket gets put in to a bank to be used later in the season for either Carabao cup, fa cup, playoff home games, and even away games if possible.

This would be reliant on how long this situation lasts and indeed whether city's system could cope with it.

Any thoughts? or other suggestions.

On 24/08/2020 at 14:19, RedM said:

I really think that local non league teams are going to benefit from this situation, and perhaps many fans will rethink attending their usual league club’s games. 

If fans are not allowed in and non league teams are struggling with money they have lost throughout this pandemic, why don’t football league and prem games stay clear of 3 pm kick offs and leave 3 pm for non league games? This will allow people to watch their team on TV and also support their local team. 

22 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

Impossible situation for City (or indeed any other club) to make a decision on refund/no refund until they know when fans will be let back in to the ground.

It is unreasonable to expect them to refund 14,000 season tickets at anything between £300 and £500 a time (14000 x  say £350 average = nearly 5 million quid) no club could afford to pay that amount of money back.  So as i said at the top it is an impossible situation to be in.

My suggestion and i dont know whether City's system would be able to administer it is-

Every game that a s/t holder is not allowed in to  see (whether that be because of total or partial ban), that unused ticket gets put in to a bank to be used later in the season for either Carabao cup, fa cup, playoff home games, and even away games if possible.

This would be reliant on how long this situation lasts and indeed whether city's system could cope with it.

I think this is one where a simple Comms could help.

A holding position along the lines -

we know we haven’t announced details yet, but with plans to let some fans in starting October we are just trying to weigh up a suitable compromise for the short term, whilst realising this could go on longer.  We want the proposal to give us flexibility to extend any offer / compensation should fans not be allowed back in to AG in enough numbers.

1 hour ago, dunsteral said:

The problem there is that cup ticket sales are generally split between home/away/the FA so City would be shelling out coins to rivals, away game revenue for league games goes to the home club as well.

(Note, me finding am issue with your proposal doesn't mean I have a better idea).

• Admin

All Sky Bet EFL matches available on TV or online

Clubs will have option to stream EFL matches via iFollow (or Club equivalent service) whilst access to matches is restricted

Sky Sports and the EFL are set to ensure supporters don’t miss any of the EFL action when the season returns next month after agreeing a new flexible framework that will ensure league matches are either available for broadcast or streaming whilst access to matches is restricted.

The broadcaster will show 130 live EFL league matches throughout season 2020/21, kicking-off with Watford v Middlesbrough on Friday 11 September 2020 before another two fixtures are televised throughout the opening weekend. 

And whilst the doors remain shut to fans, or with limited spectators allowed through the turnstiles, an arrangement exists whereby all matches that are NOT LIVE on Sky Sports will be available to stream by Clubs on iFollow (or Club equivalent service), for a match pass price of £10.

In addition, Season Ticket holders will, under the newly agreed framework, be provided access to all HOME GAMES, subject to the agreement of the Club where the supporter holds a season ticket. In the Championship access to AWAY MIDWEEK matches will also be available as part of the season ticket package if Clubs choose to offer it. 

The match by match streaming and season ticket offer is a TEMPORARY measure that has only been put in place whilst Clubs operate at a zero or reduced capacity as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and will be subject to regular review with the first set for early October. Subject to Clubs choosing to provide access to Season Ticket holders this is only available if supporters purchase their 2020/21 ticket by October 4.

EFL Chief Executive David Baldwin said: “There is no argument that attending live matches is what the League, its Clubs and fans want to see and, clearly, the overriding objective is to get supporters back into stadiums as soon as it is safe to do so. In the meantime, this framework allows our Clubs, if they so wish, to reward their most loyal supporters by providing what we hope is only short-term access to watch their matches.

“It’s important that whilst the doors remain fully, or part shut, we ensure there is the ability for fans of all EFL Clubs to be able to gain access and watch their team and I would like to take this opportunity to thank Sky Sports for their support in this matter.  Collectively, it’s not our preferred situation but given the circumstances COVID has presented us it gives us a temporary option whilst we finalise our plans for fans returning.”

Sky Sports Selections

The initial selections have been made and include the following games will be broadcast over the opening weekend:

Friday 11 September              Watford v Middlesbrough                   19:45

Saturday 12 September         Birmingham City v Brentford              12:30

Sunday 13 September            Ipswich Town v Wigan Athletic           12:00

Sky Bet Championship Streaming

Championship Clubs are able to stream any match not shown live on Sky to fans who purchase individual match passes for £10.

The new framework for Season Ticket Holders allows Clubs to have the option to provide streams of:

• All home matches, including those shown live on Sky
  • Any midweek away match, including those shown live on Sky

Clubs cannot provide access to any away weekend match, live on Sky or not, within a season ticket package. 

Leagues One and Two Streaming

League One and Two are able to stream any match not shown live on Sky to fans who purchase individual match passes for £10.

The new framework for Season Ticket Holders allows Clubs to have the option to also stream:

Clubs cannot provide access to any away match, live on Sky or not, within a season ticket package. 

Carabao Cup Streaming

Round One Carabao Cup matches that are not selected for live broadcast by Sky Sports will also be eligible for Clubs to stream. These will only be available on a match pass basis at £10.

The key bit:

Championship Clubs are able to stream any match not shown live on Sky to fans who purchase individual match passes for £10.

The new framework for Season Ticket Holders allows Clubs to have the option to provide streams of:

• Any midweek away match, including those shown live on Sky

Clubs cannot provide access to any away weekend match, live on Sky or not, within a season ticket package. 

• Admin
4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Season ticket holder cannot access weekend away games as part of their season ticket? Why is that?

Paying for 23 home games and instead being able to watch online 46 games seemed like a fair enough deal to me.

Why would we?

We paid money to City not our opposition

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

Both clubs get paid when selected for broadcast, but obviously the home side get a bigger %

Yeah it’s 100,000 home v 10,000 away in the championship at least not sure if that applies to league 1 as well

So we can stream 32 matches,  Sat home games and Midweek away at a cost of £17.30 per game *

* Based on season ticket price of £554,10

These figures don't stack up you might as well cancel your ST £554.10

Purchase 32 match day passes @ £10 = £320 saving yourself £234.10

1 hour ago, dunsteral said:

I highly doubt we've sold that many season cards this year. Was roughly that last year wasn't it? Probably less this time round. 

However if you're correct & there are 14,000 season card holders, the club expect to be allowing 7000 in for the rugby, I expect it will be the same for the football. 1/2 of the potential 14,000 sold. 

By the time the mid October date the government have set to potentially allow fans back into stadiums, we'll have 21 home games left & expect they'll give supporters 10/11 games each and have to refund/offer alternatives for the rest. 

I wouldn't be interested in my money just sitting there for cup games etc, but if it comes off of next years season card I would consider it. 

• Admin
31 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What's changed since the end of last season?

I'm guessing the end of last season was a case of getting as much coverage as games were being crammed in all over the place, where as this season things are looking a bit more like a normal fixture list

I'm assuming Robins TV never showed away games before?

4 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I highly doubt we've sold that many season cards this year. Was roughly that last year wasn't it? Probably less this time round. 

However if you're correct & there are 14,000 season card holders, the club expect to be allowing 7000 in for the rugby, I expect it will be the same for the football. 1/2 of the potential 14,000 sold. 

By the time the mid October date the government have set to potentially allow fans back into stadiums, we'll have 21 home games left & expect they'll give supporters 10/11 games each and have to refund/offer alternatives for the rest. 

I wouldn't be interested in my money just sitting there for cup games etc, but if it comes off of next years season card I would consider it. 

Rolling over cash till next season is probably the most sensible and pain free option for the club, just depends if that is suitable for all supporters. 

I'd probably be fine with that assuming home and away games were streamed at no additional cost, might get tricky where you have multiple season ticket holders at the same address.

Archived