IGNORED

Season Card / Streaming update

man in the middle

On 29/08/2020 at 13:23, BTRFTG said:

Interesting to know what options the SC&T have suggested to the club? Have they released such information?

Unless I've missed something I haven't actually seen anything from the SC&T re their suggestions or proposals to the club? As ever, the devil is in the detail and it appears all parties are somewhat light in formulating action plans.

I've written elsewhere as to how the club might look to structure options to better manage demand, ensuring demand that's unlikely to be met is best fulfilled by what's safely offered and there are things the SC&T could be doing now to support the club. For example, the folly of late offering of tickets to lucky ST holders who win out (if that's what the club is to propose,) will see those unable to use tickets offer access to others, contrary to the T&C's of issuance. Whilst under normal circumstance this harms only the club's revenues, with Covid and the requirements of Track & Trace this becomes a major issue. Should the club make clear that anybody found entering on another's 'loaned ticket' , or who fails to sit in the seat allocated (which may not be the seat listed on their ST,) would immediately see that ticket cancelled for the season, I assume the SC&T would remain wholly supportive of the club's actions in seeking to protect all fans. Ditto the ejecting and banning of supporters who fail to comply with any revised ground regulations, though it's position on enforcing existing safety regulations hasn't always been as robust as it might have been (persistent standing in areas designed as seating, blocking of escape routes, pyrotechnics et al.) Better perhaps such ticket offerings are discounted if unacceptable.

Given equality legislation it's also difficult to formulate how all protected groups may be modelled into a revised ticket and access policy. Does the SC&T have a view on how to make the best of what's deliverable, knowing some will likely lose out?

It occurs to me that by now interested parties should have a handle on the quantum of the problem, how best to reduce demand (assuming it'll exceed what's on offer, as seems likely,) & how to protect and retain fans longer term interests ( at risk in the short term these are severely diminished?) I've seen others expressing similar thoughts to myself, essentially that until I'm able to return with family and mates to what might approximate to a 'normal' football match, then I'm happy to sit things out until that's safely deliverable (assuming that'll ever be the case.)

It takes minutes to run up a number of such proposals for discussion, hours to weigh up their pros and cons, but its weeks of uncertainty and silence, that's what's doing the damage.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

It's not a technical issue.

The problem with your proposal is Sky own exclusive rights for ALL live EFL broadcasts (and that includes re-runs or highlights.) This doesn't just include the 138 matches they cover, it's ALL games irrespective of whether Sky cover them. That's the deal they've just concluded with the EFL to allow others (clubs) to market live games over which they hold property rights. It was also the bit last year when the EFL sold additional, restricted live rights with some clubs claiming they knew nothing of the deal (Red Button issue.)

Pitch International own similar for overseas rights.

NFL Game Pass is a good comparison given its only available to those outside North America & China (latter excluded for rights infringements.) Unlike the EFL The NFL own & produce content via their various broadcast partners. They're hugely protective of their intellectual property hence licence broadcasters to produce and disseminate under their control. They're not the EFL who simply offload everything to a partner and look to bank the cash. Of which I fully expect The Browns to disappoint me yet again, flattering if only to deceive and managing to chuck games they should win.

The ‘Full 90’ on the website definitely is a technical issue. 
The media chap confirmed to me on Twitter that they stopped putting it up as it took too long to upload (see below). The last one on there is still the Luton game in December. 

The season before, they put up every game. Last season it was more sporadic. Seems it was because they couldn’t be arsed, rather than it being any rights deal. 

2A11231D-D679-4561-90A7-2DF868933788.jpeg

• SC&T Board Members
11 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Unless I've missed something I haven't actually seen anything from the SC&T re their suggestions or proposals to the club? As ever, the devil is in the detail and it appears all parties are somewhat light in formulating action plans.

I've written elsewhere as to how the club might look to structure options to better manage demand, ensuring demand that's unlikely to be met is best fulfilled by what's safely offered and there are things the SC&T could be doing now to support the club. For example, the folly of late offering of tickets to lucky ST holders who win out (if that's what the club is to propose,) will see those unable to use tickets offer access to others, contrary to the T&C's of issuance. Whilst under normal circumstance this harms only the club's revenues, with Covid and the requirements of Track & Trace this becomes a major issue. Should the club make clear that anybody found entering on another's 'loaned ticket' , or who fails to sit in the seat allocated (which may not be the seat listed on their ST,) would immediately see that ticket cancelled for the season, I assume the SC&T would remain wholly supportive of the club's actions in seeking to protect all fans. Ditto the ejecting and banning of supporters who fail to comply with any revised ground regulations, though it's position on enforcing existing safety regulations hasn't always been as robust as it might have been (persistent standing in areas designed as seating, blocking of escape routes, pyrotechnics et al.) Better perhaps such ticket offerings are discounted if unacceptable.

Given equality legislation it's also difficult to formulate how all protected groups may be modelled into a revised ticket and access policy. Does the SC&T have a view on how to make the best of what's deliverable, knowing some will likely lose out?

It occurs to me that by now interested parties should have a handle on the quantum of the problem, how best to reduce demand (assuming it'll exceed what's on offer, as seems likely,) & how to protect and retain fans longer term interests ( at risk in the short term these are severely diminished?) I've seen others expressing similar thoughts to myself, essentially that until I'm able to return with family and mates to what might approximate to a 'normal' football match, then I'm happy to sit things out until that's safely deliverable (assuming that'll ever be the case.)

It takes minutes to run up a number of such proposals for discussion, hours to weigh up their pros and cons, but its weeks of uncertainty and silence, that's what's doing the damage.

Certainly one of the things that we have been urging the club to explore is the level of appetite to return to the stadium while restrictions remain in place. Clearly if there is a significant number of fans who for health or other reasons would not wish to do so, it will be a lot easier for the club to accommodate those that do. That's just one of the issues that we hope to discuss further with them ASAP.

In the meantime, it might be of interest for fans to see the mountain of social distancing guidelines that Ashton Gate will need to comply with and take into account when working out the who, when and how of admitting fans again: https://sgsa.org.uk/planning-for-social-distancing-guidance-published/

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

The media chap confirmed to me on Twitter that they stopped putting it up as it took too long to upload (see below). The last one on there is still the Luton game in December. 

The season before, they put up every game. Last season it was more sporadic. Seems it was because they couldn’t be arsed, rather than it being any rights deal. 

I think you'll find it was around that time clubs cottoned on to the Red Button issue, many claiming they'd been unaware of the change. You'll recall it was around that time some matches that Sky initially I fixated would be covered via weren't offered and all sorts of spurious reasons are cited. I believe this season there will be no RB services on offer. In which case I doubt if they'd allow access to delayed full match content.

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

That's why you leave it running in the background...

1 minute ago, Blagdon red said:

Certainly one of the things that we have been urging the club to explore is the level of appetite to return to the stadium while restrictions remain in place. Clearly if there is a significant number of fans who for health or other reasons would not wish to do so, it will be a lot easier for the club to accommodate those that do. That's just one of the issues that we hope to discuss further with them ASAP.

In the meantime, it might be of interest for fans to see the mountain of social distancing guidelines that Ashton Gate will need to comply with and take into account when working out the who, when and how of admitting fans again: https://sgsa.org.uk/planning-for-social-distancing-guidance-published/

Glad to hear it and eminently sensible.

I think a simple guide as to what the SC&T will support and that it will not would be useful in having supporters decide what's for them. I'd also reduce the inevitable tales of woe the club will have to deal with in the coming months.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been saying similar....£460 is a lot for a season’s streaming pass (add at least 2x£10 for the cup games too).  It’s not a superior product / broadcast like Sky Sports, it’s in 1080i (may even be 720p during the match) amongst other things.

Its incomparable to going to a match, and although cheaper than buying tickets, travel, etc etc it’s not quite comparing apples and pears.

I’m hoping we get a few games on Sky personally, as that will lower the cost a bit for me too.

I shall certainly be checking out VPN airways again, unless the “streaming pass” offers a different pricing model (not sure how it will if EFL have set pricing).

OK the dust is just settling with this. Am I right in thinking ST holders won't be paying £230 for the season as the club will be offering free passes and a refund for all games chosen for live broadcast on Sky? Could have read it wrong though! So that will bring it down to £180-£190.

Can't see there being different pricing structures for non-UK streamers, so VPN not gonna be needed.

4 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

OK the dust is just settling with this. Am I right in thinking ST holders won't be paying £230 for the season as the club will be offering free passes and a refund for all games chosen for live broadcast on Sky? Could have read it wrong though! So that will bring it down to £180-£190.

Can't see there being different pricing structures for non-UK streamers, so VPN not gonna be needed.

No, you'll get a full refund per game you're not able to attend. You'll be able to buy a one day match pass for £10 for all home fixtures and midweek away fixtures.

Home games on Sky the club will give you a free match pass and give you a rebate on the match. Freebie.

Away weekend fixtures you'll hopefully buy through the home club.

Non UK not yet decided as it's a different supplier (not Sky) and no details if any deal done yet with the EFL.

7 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No, you'll get a full refund per game you're not able to attend. You'll be able to buy a one day match pass for £10 for all home fixtures and midweek away fixtures.

Home games on Sky the club will give you a free match pass and give you a rebate on the match. Freebie.

Away weekend fixtures you'll hopefully buy through the home club.

Non UK not yet decided as it's a different supplier (not Sky) and no details if any deal done yet with the EFL.

Obviously Im not talking about the games we cant attend, just saying hypothetically if we are to watch all 23 home games on stream. Homes games on sky are free so we wont be paying the full £230. The point I was trying to make.

8 minutes ago, Scrumpy Dziek said:

IFollow are charging $178 a year or $26 a month according to Exeter City

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/

Or from https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2020/september2/guide-to-ifollow/

Following the Grecians from outside of the UK? Why not grab an international video season or monthly pass and make sure you don't miss any of the action!

International video season passes cost just £140, whilst monthly passes cost £20 a month

Match passes are available at £7 per game for supporters based outside of the UK.

• The title was changed to Robins TV Queries (Merged)
16 minutes ago, Scrumpy Dziek said:

Or from https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2020/september2/guide-to-ifollow/

Following the Grecians from outside of the UK? Why not grab an international video season or monthly pass and make sure you don't miss any of the action!

International video season passes cost just £140, whilst monthly passes cost £20 a month

Match passes are available at £7 per game for supporters based outside of the UK.

Seems to be the same as Watford

• Admin
1 hour ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Obviously Im not talking about the games we cant attend, just saying hypothetically if we are to watch all 23 home games on stream. Homes games on sky are free so we wont be paying the full £230. The point I was trying to make.

Correct, if you want to pay for all the home games.

It will cost you £230

Any games on sky (if you have access to sky coverage) you won't need to pay for 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve been saying similar....£460 is a lot for a season’s streaming pass (add at least 2x£10 for the cup games too).  It’s not a superior product / broadcast like Sky Sports, it’s in 1080i (may even be 720p during the match) amongst other things.

Its incomparable to going to a match, and although cheaper than buying tickets, travel, etc etc it’s not quite comparing apples and pears.

I’m hoping we get a few games on Sky personally, as that will lower the cost a bit for me too.

I shall certainly be checking out VPN airways again, unless the “streaming pass” offers a different pricing model (not sure how it will if EFL have set pricing).

Bear in mind us expats are paying 1/4 of that. Although you've got the flexibility of picking and choosing which games you watch, and for multiple ST households it's cheaper.

As an aside - I am an overseas fan already subscribed to RobinsTV on the annual subscription basis. Tomorrow's game is advertised as £10 on RobinsTV. Do I need to purchase the extra £10 pass for this game or is it included in my season pass?

Any of the other expats know? @Jerseybean  I know you use RobinsTV from abroad.

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bear in mind us expats are paying 1/4 of that. Although you've got the flexibility of picking and choosing which games you watch, and for multiple ST households it's cheaper.

As an aside - I am an overseas fan already subscribed to RobinsTV on the annual subscription basis. Tomorrow's game is advertised as £10 on RobinsTV. Do I need to purchase the extra £10 pass for this game or is it included in my season pass?

Any of the other expats know? @Jerseybean  I know you use RobinsTV from abroad.

If they do get round to releasing the overseas package, this won’t be included as it’s a cup game

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Correct, if you want to pay for all the home games.

It will cost you £230

Any games on sky (if you have access to sky coverage) you won't need to pay for 

Season ticket holders will also get a pass for sky matches, so the more matches on sky the less one has to pay to watch all home matches.

8 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

If they do get round to releasing the overseas package, this won’t be included as it’s a cup game

That is what I assumed. But it's all up in the air and changing so I wasn't certain.

On the overseas package - do you pay annually? If so it's worth logging onto your account and checking your renewal date as it's likely November or December thanks to the 3 month push back they did for covid. IMO that means that any 'new' package will be for new customers only and you and I should expect to continue on the £110 deal we are already on.

9 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Correct, it is only available in audio tomorrow.

You'd either need to be in the UK and spend £10, or find a way to be in the UK.... from abroad.... to do the same!

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

It's not a technical issue.

The problem with your proposal is Sky own exclusive rights for ALL live EFL broadcasts (and that includes re-runs or highlights.) This doesn't just include the 138 matches they cover, it's ALL games irrespective of whether Sky cover them. That's the deal they've just concluded with the EFL to allow others (clubs) to market live games over which they hold property rights. It was also the bit last year when the EFL sold additional, restricted live rights with some clubs claiming they knew nothing of the deal (Red Button issue.)

Pitch International own similar for overseas rights.

NFL Game Pass is a good comparison given its only available to those outside North America & China (latter excluded for rights infringements.) Unlike the EFL The NFL own & produce content via their various broadcast partners. They're hugely protective of their intellectual property hence licence broadcasters to produce and disseminate under their control. They're not the EFL who simply offload everything to a partner and look to bank the cash. Of which I fully expect The Browns to disappoint me yet again, flattering if only to deceive and managing to chuck games they should win.

This. Very much this.Sky hold the exclusivity for EFL broadcasts as you rightly point out. The rights to recompense for loss of said exclusivity, they have waived as they are aware of the pressure on clubs in these times.

I think it was 2018/19, the Red Button issue that Autumn caused quite a few issues!

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Whilst BCFC have done the best they can probably do at this stage, I still feel something is seriously wrong with the pricing that the EFL & Sky have set out. 

£10 to stream every game. So that’s 23 home games = £230 for the season + 23 away games = £460 for the season. 

As I posted earlier in this thread, I subscribe to NFL Game Pass which costs me £143.99 for the whole season and I can watch EVERY SINGLE GAME OF EVERY SINGLE TEAM.  

I just don’t think £460 to watch 46 games on the tele is value for money. 

I hope the club go back to putting the ‘Full 90’ on the website so that we can all have access to watch the full game a day or two later for free. There’ll still be plenty of take up on the £10 streams as most people would want to know the live score, but I’m happy to pay the £10 sometimes when I’m free but have the liberty to watch the game replay in full the next day. 

@Blagdon red please could the SC&T put some pressure on the club to offer the ‘Full 90’ on the website the day after a match. They always used to but apparently (as I was told on twitter by our media dept) they stopped doing it because it “takes ages to upload”. 

We need access to the game replay in full. Lots of other clubs do it, and we did historically, they shouldn’t cease doing this because it’s too much of a job for the media assistant to load it up!! 

Presumably the packages City have said they will be offering will enable us to buy all/some of the matches at a price that works out at a cheaper rate than £10 per match. 

Archived