IGNORED

Hidden Factors in Transfers

Son of a Ciderhead

Hello all, 

Bit of a lurker, this is my first post, hope it's welcome. Tifo Football put this video out this morning: 

City, LJ, and Tammy get a mention - albeit I think what is said is common knowledge on here, but the rest of it has some interesting stuff and probably worth remembering while the transfer rumours are flying about. Also can have a bit of fun guessing the unnamed players.

What’s interesting is the geographical disadvantage we would appear to have over London, North West or Midlands clubs where players don’t have to uproot their family to come to the South West . 

We do well to attract anybody at all from that perspective. Plymouth must have nightmares trying to do deals. 

So we are a pretty big club with a huge potential. We are professionally run , have a good stadium and training ground under construction although we are not the highest payers, so for all the criticism aimed at Ashton and the recruitment team most of it is unjust. 

I think the location thing can also be a good thing for us. I think players willing to move away from home And out of their comfort zones to further their careers Will be more mature than those who stay locally. 
My opinion isn’t based on a vast survey, just on my cousins son who played from 7 for his hometown club, resisted going out on loan repeatedly and finally was ‘encouraged’ to go to Yeovil and a London club. He liked Yeovil but absolutely hated the London club, but I think it was the making of him, he went back, won a place and played in the championship for a couple of seasons before a nice move to the MLS, now captaining the team and loving it. Would never have happened without those loans I’m sure

4 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Amazing how many players who relocate to Bristol stay. Its seens Portishead and Clevedon are the preferred locations

True, the Tom Ritchies & Gerry Sweeneys are well into pension age now & have never moved away.

I think the issue is persuading some to come in the first place, sadly it is probably more about money initially rather than the location, otherwise no one would ever join Cardiff, would they? ?

Once they are here many love it & let’s be honest, it is pretty obvious why.

I think Bristol as a location has been an issue for some players (did Tomlin break a promise to relocate?) but has been well liked by those who do move, some of the rumours about Fam and Eliasson have mentioned that both enjoy the area. I wonder if overseas players are maybe easier to attract since Bristol has its own cosmopolitan vibe, although it's not quite London

1 hour ago, Son of a Ciderhead said:

I think Bristol as a location has been an issue for some players (did Tomlin break a promise to relocate?) but has been well liked by those who do move, some of the rumours about Fam and Eliasson have mentioned that both enjoy the area. I wonder if overseas players are maybe easier to attract since Bristol has its own cosmopolitan vibe, although it's not quite London

Tomlin definitely had a place off of Cumberland Road overlooking the docks as I know someone who viewed it when he was selling it. Whether he stayed there is another matter 

1 hour ago, Son of a Ciderhead said:

**allegedly not the only promise he broke whilst in Bristol....

26 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Tomlin definitely had a place off of Cumberland Road overlooking the docks as I know someone who viewed it when he was selling it. Whether he stayed there is another matter 

Thanks for the added info, I was going off a memory of a rumour

6 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

**allegedly not the only promise he broke whilst in Bristol....

I guess we'll never know the whole story, but there didn't seem to anyone at the club sorry to see him go

2 hours ago, Son of a Ciderhead said:

I think location is no longer an excuse or issue these days as opposed to 20/30 years ago

contracts are far more lucrative these days and let’s be honest there are far worse places to live than Bristol and play football at a nice stadium and pending state of the art training ground 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What’s interesting is the geographical disadvantage we would appear to have over London, North West or Midlands clubs where players don’t have to uproot their family to come to the South West . 

We do well to attract anybody at all from that perspective. Plymouth must have nightmares trying to do deals. 

So we are a pretty big club with a huge potential. We are professionally run , have a good stadium and training ground under construction although we are not the highest payers, so for all the criticism aimed at Ashton and the recruitment team most of it is unjust. 

The North East of England is arguably more remote but look at Newcastle, Sunderland and even Boro they've have had no problem attracting players, neither have Cardiff or Swansea and they're further west and more remote than us. 

It all boils down to money. Is it yhat we are more frugal, careful than these other clubs. 

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

I think location is no longer an excuse or issue these days as opposed to 20/30 years ago

contracts are far more lucrative these days and let’s be honest there are far worse places to live than Bristol and play football at a nice stadium and pending state of the art training ground 

20 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

The North East of England is arguably more remote but look at Newcastle, Sunderland and even Boro they've have had no problem attracting players, neither have Cardiff or Swansea and they're further west and more remote than us. 

It all boils down to money. Is it yhat we are more frugal, careful than these other clubs. 

The video suggested location is more of an issue than people think and provided an unnamed example of a championship player who took a pay cut for better location and playing time (can't work out who it is myself though). I would imagine City have missed out some players not wanting to disrupt their family life but persuaded other players by the fact that Bristol is an attractive city to live in (Joe Williams reportedly chose us over Boro and I would be surprised if that was down to money). Clearly neither money nor location is everything and I think the video does a good job of explaining that

Interesting stuff. London absolutely would be a big pull for players, especially foreign ones.

Gonna hazard a guess- the player in question moving from top end Championship club- Tyler Walker? Pure stab in the dark but would think Coventry likely to be at the bottom end, or say bottom third anyway this season, Nottingham Forest at the top end- and more chance of regular football at his new club.

6 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

I think the location thing can also be a good thing for us. I think players willing to move away from home And out of their comfort zones to further their careers Will be more mature than those who stay locally. 
My opinion isn’t based on a vast survey, just on my cousins son who played from 7 for his hometown club, resisted going out on loan repeatedly and finally was ‘encouraged’ to go to Yeovil and a London club. He liked Yeovil but absolutely hated the London club, but I think it was the making of him, he went back, won a place and played in the championship for a couple of seasons before a nice move to the MLS, now captaining the team and loving it. Would never have happened without those loans I’m sure

I saw this as a challenge to work out the player you're referring too. Thanks, that killed a couple of minutes. ?

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

True, the Tom Ritchies & Gerry Sweeneys are well into pension age now & have never moved away.

I think the issue is persuading some to come in the first place, sadly it is probably more about money initially rather than the location, otherwise no one would ever join Cardiff, would they? ?

Once they are here many love it & let’s be honest, it is pretty obvious why.

Wish that were true about Cardiff very progressive city unlike Bristol where marvellous Marvin does everything possible to hold Bristol back

5 hours ago, INCRED said:

Plus you have the airport close by 

Archived