Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hidden Factors in Transfers


Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

Bit of a lurker, this is my first post, hope it's welcome. Tifo Football put this video out this morning: 

City, LJ, and Tammy get a mention - albeit I think what is said is common knowledge on here, but the rest of it has some interesting stuff and probably worth remembering while the transfer rumours are flying about. Also can have a bit of fun guessing the unnamed players.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s interesting is the geographical disadvantage we would appear to have over London, North West or Midlands clubs where players don’t have to uproot their family to come to the South West . 
 

We do well to attract anybody at all from that perspective. Plymouth must have nightmares trying to do deals. 
 

So we are a pretty big club with a huge potential. We are professionally run , have a good stadium and training ground under construction although we are not the highest payers, so for all the criticism aimed at Ashton and the recruitment team most of it is unjust. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the location thing can also be a good thing for us. I think players willing to move away from home And out of their comfort zones to further their careers Will be more mature than those who stay locally. 
My opinion isn’t based on a vast survey, just on my cousins son who played from 7 for his hometown club, resisted going out on loan repeatedly and finally was ‘encouraged’ to go to Yeovil and a London club. He liked Yeovil but absolutely hated the London club, but I think it was the making of him, he went back, won a place and played in the championship for a couple of seasons before a nice move to the MLS, now captaining the team and loving it. Would never have happened without those loans I’m sure

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Amazing how many players who relocate to Bristol stay. Its seens Portishead and Clevedon are the preferred locations

True, the Tom Ritchies & Gerry Sweeneys are well into pension age now & have never moved away.

I think the issue is persuading some to come in the first place, sadly it is probably more about money initially rather than the location, otherwise no one would ever join Cardiff, would they? 😉

Once they are here many love it & let’s be honest, it is pretty obvious why.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bristol as a location has been an issue for some players (did Tomlin break a promise to relocate?) but has been well liked by those who do move, some of the rumours about Fam and Eliasson have mentioned that both enjoy the area. I wonder if overseas players are maybe easier to attract since Bristol has its own cosmopolitan vibe, although it's not quite London

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Amazing how many players who relocate to Bristol stay. Its seens Portishead and Clevedon are the preferred locations

Of course ! The panoramic views of the aqua blue ocean are second to none.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Son of a Ciderhead said:

I think Bristol as a location has been an issue for some players (did Tomlin break a promise to relocate?) but has been well liked by those who do move, some of the rumours about Fam and Eliasson have mentioned that both enjoy the area. I wonder if overseas players are maybe easier to attract since Bristol has its own cosmopolitan vibe, although it's not quite London

Tomlin definitely had a place off of Cumberland Road overlooking the docks as I know someone who viewed it when he was selling it. Whether he stayed there is another matter 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Son of a Ciderhead said:

I think Bristol as a location has been an issue for some players (did Tomlin break a promise to relocate?) but has been well liked by those who do move, some of the rumours about Fam and Eliasson have mentioned that both enjoy the area. I wonder if overseas players are maybe easier to attract since Bristol has its own cosmopolitan vibe, although it's not quite London

**allegedly not the only promise he broke whilst in Bristol....

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

Tomlin definitely had a place off of Cumberland Road overlooking the docks as I know someone who viewed it when he was selling it. Whether he stayed there is another matter 

Thanks for the added info, I was going off a memory of a rumour

6 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

**allegedly not the only promise he broke whilst in Bristol....

I guess we'll never know the whole story, but there didn't seem to anyone at the club sorry to see him go

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Son of a Ciderhead said:

I think Bristol as a location has been an issue for some players (did Tomlin break a promise to relocate?) but has been well liked by those who do move, some of the rumours about Fam and Eliasson have mentioned that both enjoy the area. I wonder if overseas players are maybe easier to attract since Bristol has its own cosmopolitan vibe, although it's not quite London

I think location is no longer an excuse or issue these days as opposed to 20/30 years ago

contracts are far more lucrative these days and let’s be honest there are far worse places to live than Bristol and play football at a nice stadium and pending state of the art training ground 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What’s interesting is the geographical disadvantage we would appear to have over London, North West or Midlands clubs where players don’t have to uproot their family to come to the South West . 
 

We do well to attract anybody at all from that perspective. Plymouth must have nightmares trying to do deals. 
 

So we are a pretty big club with a huge potential. We are professionally run , have a good stadium and training ground under construction although we are not the highest payers, so for all the criticism aimed at Ashton and the recruitment team most of it is unjust. 

The North East of England is arguably more remote but look at Newcastle, Sunderland and even Boro they've have had no problem attracting players, neither have Cardiff or Swansea and they're further west and more remote than us. 

It all boils down to money. Is it yhat we are more frugal, careful than these other clubs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, INCRED said:

I think location is no longer an excuse or issue these days as opposed to 20/30 years ago

contracts are far more lucrative these days and let’s be honest there are far worse places to live than Bristol and play football at a nice stadium and pending state of the art training ground 

 

20 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

The North East of England is arguably more remote but look at Newcastle, Sunderland and even Boro they've have had no problem attracting players, neither have Cardiff or Swansea and they're further west and more remote than us. 

It all boils down to money. Is it yhat we are more frugal, careful than these other clubs. 

The video suggested location is more of an issue than people think and provided an unnamed example of a championship player who took a pay cut for better location and playing time (can't work out who it is myself though). I would imagine City have missed out some players not wanting to disrupt their family life but persuaded other players by the fact that Bristol is an attractive city to live in (Joe Williams reportedly chose us over Boro and I would be surprised if that was down to money). Clearly neither money nor location is everything and I think the video does a good job of explaining that

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting stuff. London absolutely would be a big pull for players, especially foreign ones.

Gonna hazard a guess- the player in question moving from top end Championship club- Tyler Walker? Pure stab in the dark but would think Coventry likely to be at the bottom end, or say bottom third anyway this season, Nottingham Forest at the top end- and more chance of regular football at his new club.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Paulton Red said:

I think the location thing can also be a good thing for us. I think players willing to move away from home And out of their comfort zones to further their careers Will be more mature than those who stay locally. 
My opinion isn’t based on a vast survey, just on my cousins son who played from 7 for his hometown club, resisted going out on loan repeatedly and finally was ‘encouraged’ to go to Yeovil and a London club. He liked Yeovil but absolutely hated the London club, but I think it was the making of him, he went back, won a place and played in the championship for a couple of seasons before a nice move to the MLS, now captaining the team and loving it. Would never have happened without those loans I’m sure

I saw this as a challenge to work out the player you're referring too. Thanks, that killed a couple of minutes. 😌

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

True, the Tom Ritchies & Gerry Sweeneys are well into pension age now & have never moved away.

I think the issue is persuading some to come in the first place, sadly it is probably more about money initially rather than the location, otherwise no one would ever join Cardiff, would they? 😉

Once they are here many love it & let’s be honest, it is pretty obvious why.

 

Wish that were true about Cardiff very progressive city unlike Bristol where marvellous Marvin does everything possible to hold Bristol back

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I saw this as a challenge to work out the player you're referring too. Thanks, that killed a couple of minutes. 😌

Fred Titmus?

  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, INCRED said:

I think location is no longer an excuse or issue these days as opposed to 20/30 years ago

contracts are far more lucrative these days and let’s be honest there are far worse places to live than Bristol and play football at a nice stadium and pending state of the art training ground 

Plus you have the airport close by 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...