IGNORED

Youth team player

redpole

46 minutes ago, redpole said:

When was the last time Bristol City brought a player through from the youth team to play for the first team?? Not including sending them out on loan first. I mean 16/17/18 year olds who played more than one game.

Can I ask why you’re asking this question?  

14 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Aden Baldwin was named in the squad last year but little has been heard of him. AT his age he should be considered for the bench against Exeter whilst we are short of centre halves.  Does anyone know anything about him? Height, style of play? - is he even close? If not, why not?

I'm curious about this too. The club obviously feel he is worth persisting with but we've not managed to set him up with a loan to a league club and he doesn't seem close to the first team. He's only got a contract until June (albeit with a chance of an extension) so you assume this season is make or break for him...

17 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Indeed.

Hope he's learned from it - still time to back into football.

Sad series of events indeed but, from the trial reports, it sounds like an utterly brutal and savage attack on someone who was already unconscious. It is hard to feel sympathy for Dowling and the victim would be quite entitled to wonder why any other club should take a chance on him...

2 hours ago, redpole said:

When was the last time Bristol City brought a player through from the youth team to play for the first team?? Not including sending them out on loan first. I mean 16/17/18 year olds who played more than one game.

You might like to read this:

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Can I ask why you’re asking this question?  

I’m thinking, we say we want to bring youth players through, however when they eventually start for city they are 22/23 after being on loan for 2/3 years. 

I just look at other clubs who bring players through from 17/18 and bring them into the first team set up and by the time they are 20/21/22 they have moved on for 10/15m. 

24 minutes ago, redpole said:

I’m thinking, we say we want to bring youth players through, however when they eventually start for city they are 22/23 after being on loan for 2/3 years. 

I just look at other clubs who bring players through from 17/18 and bring them into the first team set up and by the time they are 20/21/22 they have moved on for 10/15m. 

Examples?

18 minutes ago, redpole said:

I remember the nil-nil game with Fulham following some major event in the 1980s when half of our team were under 20 years old. In fact I think one of them had to dash up to North Street at half time to get his paper round done. Without looking I'll play Wayne Bray, Ricky Chandler, Jon Economu and Gary Williams. I've probably mucked that up big time. Oh well :)

5 hours ago, redpole said:

Kelly  and o'leary 

43 minutes ago, redpole said:

City’s academy have produced Bryan,Reid and Kelly all of whom went for big money. Two of them were out loan at Argyle as part of their development.Very few youngsters go straight into the first team these days.

Young players all need competitive men’s football and that means using the loan system.

4 hours ago, redpole said:

Seems an odd time to make this argument, when in recent seasons we've seen three academy players being sold for around the figures you've quoted. Granted, there are some championship clubs out there that produce more value from homegrown talent, but it can only be 3-4 in the last few seasons.

9 hours ago, underhanded said:

Seems an odd time to make this argument, when in recent seasons we've seen three academy players being sold for around the figures you've quoted. Granted, there are some championship clubs out there that produce more value from homegrown talent, but it can only be 3-4 in the last few seasons.

Completely agree, arguing against our youth system right now is crazy. It's produced the best players in decades in recent years and more are coming through.

Regardless if they go out on loan first it doesn't matter. The proof is in the pudding.

14 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I remember the nil-nil game with Fulham following some major event in the 1980s when half of our team were under 20 years old. In fact I think one of them had to dash up to North Street at half time to get his paper round done. Without looking I'll play Wayne Bray, Ricky Chandler, Jon Economu and Gary Williams. I've probably mucked that up big time. Oh well :)

I think I am right in saying that Wayne Bray was captain and only 17 years old.

Archived