IGNORED

Take a Bow Son

City1984

Well done to AS. Thought he look really bright when he came on. Good strength and composure. Looks hungry and confident with a very well taken goal. 
love the way he timed his run pointing, almost demanding where he wanted the ball. 

very good cameo and although against lower league opposition, has he possibly pushed himself in to contention  to stay here and challenge for a place in the first team instead of going out on loan?

I’ve criticised him but fair play, he badly needed his first goal for us & he now has it.

I would guess whether he stays or goes on loan depends on what happens with Famara, because if he stays & with Chris Martin to be added, he’ll start a long way down the pecking order.

Dictated the game when he came on, came to demand the ball and kept just breezing past their defenders.

Impressed by his lateral movement across the keeper for the goal. Quite often notice that we haven't had strikers prepared to make that near post run. Makes the final ball much simpler.

Of course it was against a L2 side and he didn't get picked up like you'd expect a championship defence to do, but promising signs and his confidence was very clear.

10 minutes ago, Super said:

I think when Martin is available he will struggle to make the bench.

This is the thing as you and @GrahamC have mentiond he is realistically 5th choice and he needs games. Looks to have different skill sets to all our other strikers though and think if he can be patient and take his chance when it comes then could be a real positive this year. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I hope we can have a right laugh reading back old Semenyo threads in years to come!

Looked very good today. I expect him to be loaned out to league one, but I guess that depends on what is happening to Fam.

Thought we looked far more fluid when Antoine came on. He wanted the ball, he linked well. Nice movement too at times. And of course the goal he partly made with that turn before tucking away the Hunt cross. 

Positive stuff he can build on. He looked confident.

Quick mention for hunt. 2 assist and thought he was decent today 

15 minutes ago, Super said:

I think when Martin is available he will struggle to make the bench.

Not just him we have a lot of other players to come back into the first team squad and probably a couple of additions to come.

I don't think he's in the squad if everyone is available.

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve criticised him but fair play, he badly needed his first goal for us & he now has it.

I would guess whether he stays or goes on loan depends on what happens with Famara, because if he stays & with Chris Martin to be added, he’ll start a long way down the pecking order.

Window open until October.

I would hope Semenyo gets minutes until then - may well be that, if he develops, Diedhiou may be gone. Its a long shot but that little cameo was really promising ?

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing better than seeing a young player come into a City team and score.

He did fine up at Preston and Brentford, and as usual too many want to write him off.  Just need to be patient and see how he develops.

It was a bit weird with Semenyo, there were a few who seemed to almost want him to fail. I can’t quite put my finger on why that is, but a few have been very eager to unequivocally state he’s nowhere near good enough and people got carried away with the Chelsea interest.  

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I hope we can have a right laugh reading back old Semenyo threads in years to come!

Looked very good today. I expect him to be loaned out to league one, but I guess that depends on what is happening to Fam.

Thought we looked far more fluid when Antoine came on. He wanted the ball, he linked well. Nice movement too at times. And of course the goal he partly made with that turn before tucking away the Hunt cross. 

Positive stuff he can build on. He looked confident.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nothing better than seeing a young player come into a City team and score.

He did fine up at Preston and Brentford, and as usual too many want to write him off.  Just need to be patient and see how he develops.

I don't want to write him off, but he absolutely didn't build on it last time. So that's where the evidence sits for me. Flashed ability a couple of times, then nosedived for basically a full year and a half. So I'm waiting for him to do it before I change my views on him.

He looked great against league 2 opposition when he was out on loan...

Hope he does build on it this time! Want all the players to succeed! But, actually play well in the championship, and then I'll start buying the hype.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

It was a bit weird with Semenyo, there were a few who seemed to almost want him to fail. I can’t quite put my finger on why that is, but a few have been very eager to unequivocally state he’s nowhere near good enough and people got carried away with the Chelsea interest.  

I never got the dismissal of Semenyo as a talent. I have said I didn’t see striker instincts in him but there was sign of that today. That run alone could net him a few goals at this level. 

Back to the original point though. He was not in an academy. He was a naturally talented raw 18 year old when we signed him. He had a lot of catching up to do but still showed signs in his loans and appearances here. He needed and still needs time. I think it is extremely impressive we unearthed him at all. How you couldn’t want him to succeed is beyond me. 

46 minutes ago, City1984 said:

Well done to AS. Thought he look really bright when he came on. Good strength and composure. Looks hungry and confident with a very well taken goal. 
love the way he timed his run pointing, almost demanding where he wanted the ball. 

very good cameo and although against lower league opposition, has he possibly pushed himself in to contention  to stay here and challenge for a place in the first team instead of going out on loan?

Here's hoping 

Let’s get sensible. He had a very good 10 minutes against a League 2 team. He looked good when playing for Newport in League 2 but couldn’t make the transition to the Championship when he came back to City. That was then and now is now. He might have developed in the last year, or he might not have. You can’t judge a player on a good 10 minute performance just as you can’t judge them on a bad 10 minute performance 

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's not about wanting someone to fail,, it's being honest about what you see in front of you with the MK1 eyeball - as opposed maybe the hyperbole employed by some.....

Just don't see the bloke making it at all at this level & it'd be good to be wrong..don't think I am though.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

It's not about wanting someone to fail,, it's being honest about what you see in front of you with the MK1 eyeball - as opposed maybe the hyperbole employed by some.....

Just don't see the bloke making it at all at this level & it'd be good to be wrong..don't think I am though.

That’s fine - I didn’t say everyone with reservations felt that way. I don’t think he’s ready for consistent first team starts yet either.

Just felt like there was a few that almost came across like they wanted to be vindicated.

1 hour ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Pleased for him playing well against a 4th division side. Looked lost at championship level and was poor at 3rd division level for Sunderland. Hope this kicks him on for us though ?

He had two reasonable games at Brentford and Preston last season....a lot of people are basing on a couple of home performances (red card and a sub appearance where he looks like he isn’t on the planet).

Until we see 5 or 6 starts in a short period, it’s gonna be very difficult to judge him fairly.

I don't know why some people talk about loans like they are a nagative thing. 

They are a valuable part of progression, especially in today's game. 

If he's confident, which he should be after today, but is only ever going to be on the bench (with Fam, Wells & Martin) then get him out on a good attacking league 1 loan to help him develop. 

Today is the first day I've though that he may actually be up to having a future here. Only against Exeter, granted, but he looked a different player to the one I've seem up to now. 

Well done lad, keep it up..! 

He's a difficult one to call this season. If he stays will definitely learn more from Martin, Wells and Fam (if he is staying).

He seemed a man changed from last season and although it was against Exeter his body language and personality was more positive. He seems more confident is what I'm getting at. 

But at the same time do we really want to put him on the bench when he could be getting 30-40 games at league one? 

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Did you never see him play for us in the championship, he was terribly, looked so lost,

Now we already know he's a good player at league 2 level today didn't really show us anything new, 

I want to see him starting week in week out for a good league 1 side this season getting 12+ goals 

then I would be looking to see him on the beach for us in 21/22 season, I still think he's got a lot to learn before he's read for the championship but we differently should not give up on him he could still make it for us,

15 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Dictated the game when he came on, came to demand the ball and kept just breezing past their defenders.

Impressed by his lateral movement across the keeper for the goal. Quite often notice that we haven't had strikers prepared to make that near post run. Makes the final ball much simpler.

Of course it was against a L2 side and he didn't get picked up like you'd expect a championship defence to do, but promising signs and his confidence was very clear.

Very promising signs. Lets see though in a few weeks time when we play teams at a higher level. I watched the high lights this morning and Exeter opened us up on quite a few occasions which may flag a concern going forward.

Archived