IGNORED

Dean Holden on Sounds of the City Monday night

Never to the dark side

I’ve never had a problem with Dean Holden. 

His appointment was completely underwhelming for me bit that’s okay. You don’t have to apologise for your feelings.

It didn’t sit with anything the club put out, but it doesn’t matter now.

Lets strap in again and see what happens.

I think Holden knows what makes fans tick we all love to know what's happening I'm seeing him in a different light like Holden said he's also a football fan himself, But again it's all talk it's what happens on a matchday and whether he can gel a team together for a push this season.. So far it's sounding positive.

Echo the other comments, really positive interview, would have liked some more time. I just hope that passion translates into a winning team.

as to who plays, ive really no idea,,, the most talented ball player we have is elliasson, and he has been offered a contract. If he can play in that attacking midfield role then its a no brainer... but there are so many others who will be wanting that spot, and i dont see pato coming out anytime soon.

I absolutely love Dean Holden. I was really upset by his appointment - underwhelmed, deflated, angry. 

But every time he speaks I admire him more and more. I have never wanted a City manager to succeed more, purely because he sounds like one of the most honest, down to earth, REAL blokes I've ever heard. I'm a soppy bastard at the best of times but the pride he had when speaking about his mum and dad made my jaw drop. What a wonderful representative we have for BCFC on our hands here.

He cares. It feels like he cares.

Good luck Deano, we're behind you. 

Brilliant interview with twentystone, credit to both.  Most of us were underwhelmed by the appointment, which was the most commonly used word, and i was  one.  

I know suspect doses of humble pie will be swallowed and have a really good vibe aided by some excellent signings. Some also got to leave.  

Also made me laugh when talking about Baker, and his injuries, and he often resembles a guy fired out of a circus canon on the pitch ?

16 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I absolutely love Dean Holden. I was really upset by his appointment - underwhelmed, deflated, angry. 

But every time he speaks I admire him more and more. I have never wanted a City manager to succeed more, purely because he sounds like one of the most honest, down to earth, REAL blokes I've ever heard. I'm a soppy bastard at the best of times but the pride he had when speaking about his mum and dad made my jaw drop. What a wonderful representative we have for BCFC on our hands here.

Completely agree with this.

I was massively underwhelmed and disappointed when he got the job and couldn’t understand why he was given it ahead of more experienced candidates. But, if he interviews like that, it seems bloody obvious why he got the job. That interview made me think he wasn’t the cheap or unambitious appointment but simply the candidate who gave the best interview and showed the most passion for the role.

30 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

This is really well put. Considering the club did him no favours with the way his appointment was handled, he’s made a really good start - just by being himself and being normal.

Just needs to keep winning now.

9 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Christ some of you turn easy, fickle bunch :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, I'd cut off my right nut for him to be great. He needs to prove it to me first though.

There’s a difference between being disappointed with how the appointment was handled vs being impressed with Holden/wanting him to do well - surely you can see that. It’s not fickle because there’s no hypocrisy in adopting that view.

Obviously the proof is in the results. 

52 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Completely agree with this.

I was massively underwhelmed and disappointed when he got the job and couldn’t understand why he was given it ahead of more experienced candidates. But, if he interviews like that, it seems bloody obvious why he got the job. That interview made me think he wasn’t the cheap or unambitious appointment but simply the candidate who gave the best interview and showed the most passion for the role.

I’ll smugly add I’ve been saying this since day one ?

Havent heard the interview yet but it’s great to see people changing their opinions of the appointment. I really hope it works out

I’ll catch this later - but got to say Holden has been talking the talk - and the talk has been pretty impressive.

He’s been backed in the window and with his backroom staff.

Now let’s see it on the pitch and in the league table....I’d love it to work out. 

Exciting season ahead.....

He is most definitely a man who wears his heart on his sleeve, and it is so refreshing to hear the lack of buzzword/fuzzword mediaspeak that our previous mamager was so fond of.  The word of the night is "underwhelmed", which most of were when the appointment  was announced, however, through his honesty and forthrightness he is winning us over.                      I am impressed so far with his signings, and I think the players will have taken to him, and will want to play for him.  But it all boils down to, a phrase he used a number of times 'The proof is in the puddin"  Ha!   I hope he gets a good start, and we are lucly with injuries, if we can get a few good early results, and a winning mentallity, who knows.  I am still pessimistic about the coming season, but less so than I was, I really hope he is successful, and wish him all the best.   I think we will finish around 9th or 10th, but hopefully we'll play more exciting and entertaining  football than under LJ?

What a brilliant and refreshing listen that was - ? Deano!

The bit around his dad was very touching.....clearly, a very proud man ?

As others have said, let’s hope for a decent start, build some momentum and see where it takes us - we’ve signed some real quality and so we’ve got as good-a-chance as anyone this season!

COYRs

29 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

What a brilliant and refreshing listen that was - ? Deano!

The bit around his dad was very touching.....clearly, a very proud man ?

As others have said, let’s hope for a decent start, build some momentum and see where it takes us - we’ve signed some real quality and so we’ve got as good-a-chance as anyone this season!

COYRs

What a contrast from his predecessor! In that Deano speaks straightforwardly and makes sense, endeavours to be as honest as possible and clearly has the ability to relate well to people.

It was a really refreshing listen. 

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Best interview I have probably ever heard from a city manager/coach . So much information. No ducking the questions 

A couple of bits I liked....1) he said he will be honest with everyone, but there will be some things he won’t tell us.  He then gave an example re Kalas, which was simple, but informative....and importantly builds trust imho.  2) see further below ⬇️⬇️⬇️

5 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Anyone got the link for listen again please? 

Can’t seem to link it from the sounds app, so hopefully twitter link works.

4 hours ago, RedRoss said:

I actually have backed him and was arguing with people just after his appointment constantly on here but in their defence he is a risk so I do get the criticism. I'm sure hes got a few more on his side now and rightly so, he's got me pumped like I'm playing next week haha. 

Me too.  Just written 3,300 words and created 15 charts for a data analysis piece for one of the Brentford Fanalysts explaining just why.  @Lrrr was also adding in some stuff too.  I was really encouraged by his 5 games, I saw the method.  The recruitment has aligned to that.  I just hope he now gets results.

3 hours ago, Street red said:

I think Holden knows what makes fans tick we all love to know what's happening I'm seeing him in a different light like Holden said he's also a football fan himself, But again it's all talk it's what happens on a matchday and whether he can gel a team together for a push this season.. So far it's sounding positive.

This was my second point.  He answers questions in a way that fans want to be told and understand too. For me it speaks volumes of how good a communicator he is.  Pitches it at the right level.  I always felt LJ wanted himself to come across as cleverer than us.  In football terms he was, but he didn’t need to be like that.

This interview is everything you want to hear from a manager/head coach. Whether or not he was initially in with a chance of the job (and I don’t think he ever was near the top of the list) he comes across as totally convincing. 

Honesty and integrity are great qualities and Dean seems to have these in abundance. He deserves our support. 

Just listened because I couldn’t sleep

How bloody refreshing was that? Straight talking and honest, and didn’t dodge any questions.

I fully believe what I said after his appointment, that DH wasn’t our first choice but probably went in and smashed the interview with his honesty and passion. It gave the board a really tough decision to make, and I actually respect them for making the difficult decision.

Im not sure how anyone can dislike this bloke after hearing him talk, so hopefully people can put aside their disappointment at not getting a big name manager and get behind Dean.

I really hope he can get a good start and win the rest over.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

A couple of bits I liked....1) he said he will be honest with everyone, but there will be some things he won’t tell us.  He then gave an example re Kalas, which was simple, but informative....and importantly builds trust imho.  2) see further below ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Can’t seem to link it from the sounds app, so hopefully twitter link works.

Me too.  Just written 3,300 words and created 15 charts for a data analysis piece for one of the Brentford Fanalysts explaining just why.  @Lrrr was also adding in some stuff too.  I was really encouraged by his 5 games, I saw the method.  The recruitment has aligned to that.  I just hope he now gets results.

This was my second point.  He answers questions in a way that fans want to be told and understand too. For me it speaks volumes of how good a communicator he is.  Pitches it at the right level.  I always felt LJ wanted himself to come across as cleverer than us.  In football terms he was, but he didn’t need to be like that.

Spot on Dave. I was probably one of the more forgiving supporters of LJ but I don’t recall such clarity of message as he invariably seemed to mix what he wanted to say with some strange and irrelevant metaphor. DH seems to have the ability to get across a simple and clear idea which hopefully the players will get. 

Was a great interview, amazing to have a manager who talks straight, been a while since we've had someone like that. I think it's difficult to listen to that interview and not want to get behind him and want him to do well.

On the other hand, we do have to acknowledge it's quite easy to say the right things before any football has really been played, no awkward decisions regarding dropping players or substitutions gone wrong etc. Time will tell if he can handle it.

Wow! What an interview.

Fair play to GT with the questions, and fair play to Dean with the Honesty, passion, and no BS buzz words.

Like others have said I was also pretty angry with the appointment, which I may add was more to do with the comment by SL about needing to freshen things up, and to get someone in to get us other the line. So appointing the guy who was second in charge to the guy who failed made no sense at the time.

As a Human :laugh: (bloody MA) I've always liked Dean and after hearing the interview, I can now see how this all fits in with him getting the job. Everyone has to start somewhere, just as Chris H would have.

Let's just hope the players don't let him down! Also a shout out to the Board for backing him in the Transfer Market.

So I'm wishing Dean, and all the new staff, all the best for this season, and hopefully he can make his Dad even prouder.

COYR.

Archived